2nd job

Re-Raise

I was still in college the first two years. I worked with my father on our family's farm until I went full-time.

Then we sold all the equipment and we cash rent the land to a neighbor now.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Worked full time job at large distribution center after preload. Finished work each day at 7 pm, then back to preload at 0330.

wayfair

swollen member
Worked for a Master Carpenter after preload working in brand new homes.. Very cool job, no benefits for the family though

billerz

I worked at a gas station, car wash, and multiple fast food jobs in the 8 years a was part time. I was always broke but made enough to support myself.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Its also not to be a carrot for ten years to get a full time job. I know of a part timer who waited 12 years to get full time. They shrink routes cancel routes when they could be adding our union brothers to the full time ranks.
As for being meek you know nothing about me except what I posted on here.

I don't see it as a carrot being dangled in front of you. It's a gateway to a better job. You don't start at the top. You come in and work part time and work your way up, through seniority. I waited 8 years until I was given awarded a full-time bid. But in those 8 years, I worked 40-55 hours/week......PART TIME FOR UPS. I took every ounce of doubles they would offer me. Sometimes even triples. And even when I started driving after 2.5 years, I would run a route and if they need me to run an air run on top of that, I would do that. All part time. If they don't offer someone enough hours driving, then you can always go back in the hub and work too. Possibilities are there for hours at UPS in most locations, if you want it.

And I did not call YOU meek. I was referring to the employees of McDonald's who expect middle class pay for a minimum wage job.

El Correcto

god is dead
Temp agencies are an easy way to get hired on at places if you need a job quickly, that works for your time schedule. Pay is usually low though unless you land a management job with previous experience or have a degree that you need for the job.

AutoZone

BrownPower
All great responses people.. Keep em coming!! As for me, I'm a parts manager for a dealership here in Florida. Work 7-5 everyday Monday thru Saturday. Then roll over to the hub to sort twi.. 14-15 hour days between the 2 jobs with an hour drive in and an hour drive home.. Gets me just enough time to sleep and wake up at 6am to do it all over again.. Once in a while I get lucky and the sort manager doesn't need me and will send me home so I can actually see my wife and kids for a little.. He knows I appreciate that more then anything. Gotta love the life of chasing the brown dream.

Pooter

2nd shift FT warehouse + preload made for some fun peaks! :D

It was a 4 day/10 hour shift with a 3pm start.

Driving feels like a dream job now :)

..not really

AutoZone

BrownPower
Many years ago during my 1st go around, I worked from 7am to 6pm at a BMW parts department.. Would get home by 7pm.. Try to sleep till 10pm.. Wake up.. Go do ups midnight from 11-3 or 4.. Get home by 5am for an hour power nap to be up by 6am and do it all over again.. There were many nights and mornings I spent sleeping in my car at the UPS parking lot for those extra precious minutes of sleep.. Did that for 4 1/2 years.. Many days id go without sleep at all.. 4 was the most without sleep... Then I'd eventually need to call in to both jobs just to rest...

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
I think all of us with 2 jobs one at UPS and another full time job spent many a days sleeping in there car in the UPS parking lot. I know I did. Took a shower at the gym and then a quick 3 hr nap in my car to do a 18 day all over again, we all know the grind here. Its the UPS life.

AutoZone

BrownPower
So just coming back to this, during my quiet time sorting last night, was thinking, would it make sense for UPS to have some kind of loan program for certain approved employees that while they're working towards a future within UPS, to maybe pay them what is needed to survive to be able to survive the pt years suitably.. Like if I can make $700 a week, I'll be fine until a FT bid or longer pt hours are added and while your working, and when you get your PC driving gig, they take a certain % with added interest until paid off.. Almost like a student loan type thing..?? That would just work wonders I think with helping people get by while on the waiting list.

Does that just make to much sense I guess? Just a thought.. Curious if any of you would of loved a program like that while you waited..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So just coming back to this, during my quiet time sorting last night, was thinking, would it make sense for UPS to have some kind of loan program for certain approved employees that while they're working towards a future within UPS, to maybe pay them what is needed to survive to be able to survive the pt years suitably.. Like if I can make $700 a week, I'll be fine until a FT bid or longer pt hours are added and while your working, and when you get your PC driving gig, they take a certain % with added interest until paid off.. Almost like a student loan type thing..?? That would just work wonders I think with helping people get by while on the waiting list.

Does that just make to much sense I guess? Just a thought.. Curious if any of you would of loved a program like that while you waited..

Why would it be incumbent upon UPS to make sure that you earn a living wage?

AutoZone

BrownPower
Why do they pay $25000 out for you to go to college to in turn leave the company when you graduate? I think investing in there employees for their future is a pretty good idea..

AutoZone

BrownPower
Why would it be incumbent upon UPS to make sure that you earn a living wage?
For giggles, lets say the max is 30k per year you can get.. That's $577 per week. Add another $250 for your pt hours on average.. That's $827 a week.. Easily livable..

Then the day comes you get to drive, you pay back 1/3 per week + interest so that's it's beneficial to them, until paid off.. I'd sign up in a second to just work 1 job again. Lol

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1453481750.323468.jpg

Orion inc.

I like turtles

For giggles, lets say the max is 30k per year you can get.. That's $577 per week. Add another $250 for your pt hours on average.. That's $827 a week.. Easily livable..

Then the day comes you get to drive, you pay back 1/3 per week + interest so that's it's beneficial to them, until paid off.. I'd sign up in a second to just work 1 job again. Lol

Or live within your means when you're part time. And everyone I knew PT when we all were coming up , worked a 2nd job or owned a side business.

It's called being an adult and taking care of your obligations. Ups isn't in the small loan business and shouldn't be.

And taking out a loan like this just to pay it back if and when you do go FT would erode your FT check down to where you probably would have less each week. Especially if you're a new seniority driver who might not get to drive every day.

Plus how does ups know the PT employee who takes the loan won't quit before he goes FT and has a chance to start paying it back? You have experience in quitting PT before so why should ups pay you a loan contingent on you starting the repayment process back upon FT promotion? They would of lost their money on you the first time.

Plus didn't you say how you made so much at autozone?

You really are quite the gem here. I don't know how ups ever got along without you the first time you quit.