2nd job

Gman33909

Why do they pay $25000 out for you to go to college to in turn leave the company when you graduate? I think investing in there employees for their future is a pretty good idea..
Because they would prefer for you to leave and have another company worry about you. You know they rather have a new hire then pay you 15+

By The Book

Why do they pay $25000 out for you to go to college to in turn leave the company when you graduate? I think investing in there employees for their future is a pretty good idea..
Am I missing something? Isn't paying out $25,000 investing in their employees? They get an employee for a long time which reduces turnover which is investing in their, the companies future. My way of looking at it.

Faceplanted

FYI, the Orlando centers in the Orlando hub are now letting 15 to 20 full time guys take lay off days because they are so overstaffed. Gonna be a long while buddy before you are ft

As for what I did, school And slinging dope

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I bet you the turnover for employees who take the education assistance is much lower than those who do not take it or do not have the option of taking it.

UPS is essentially taking you and treating you as an investment. They are pumping money into you to become an educated employee with the ultimate hope that you do stay on. Just like any investment some work, and some don't. But if they help you out by paying for your 4 year education, they are hoping you are well enough entrenched in the company that you don't want to leave. That's what happened to me. I had a degree partly paid for by the company, and I was originally going to get the degree and bounce. But I was able to establish myself and go FT. Their investment in me means they get another management employee, and I'm sitting look at my paycheck every month smiling while the guys I went to school with are sitting on huge debt and making peanuts. Their investment is now (hopefully) paying off. It must be, because now they're paying for my MBA.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I bet you the turnover for employees who take the education assistance is much lower than those who do not take it or do not have the option of taking it.

UPS is essentially taking you and treating you as an investment. They are pumping money into you to become an educated employee with the ultimate hope that you do stay on. Just like any investment some work, and some don't. But if they help you out by paying for your 4 year education, they are hoping you are well enough entrenched in the company that you don't want to leave. That's what happened to me. I had a degree partly paid for by the company, and I was originally going to get the degree and bounce. But I was able to establish myself and go FT. Their investment in me means they get another management employee, and I'm sitting look at my paycheck every month smiling while the guys I went to school with are sitting on huge debt and making peanuts. Their investment is now (hopefully) paying off. It must be, because now they're paying for my MBA.

[response

An actual response.. Thank you!

AutoZone

BrownPower
Or live within your means when you're part time. And everyone I knew PT when we all were coming up , worked a 2nd job or owned a side business.

It's called being an adult and taking care of your obligations. Ups isn't in the small loan business and shouldn't be.

And taking out a loan like this just to pay it back if and when you do go FT would erode your FT check down to where you probably would have less each week. Especially if you're a new seniority driver who might not get to drive every day.

Plus how does ups know the PT employee who takes the loan won't quit before he goes FT and has a chance to start paying it back? You have experience in quitting PT before so why should ups pay you a loan contingent on you starting the repayment process back upon FT promotion? They would of lost their money on you the first time.

Plus didn't you say how you made so much at autozone?

You really are quite the gem here. I don't know how ups ever got along without you the first time you quit.
I don't work for autozone...

I quit because hours of another job didn't mesh with the odd hours of UPS.. (So if this was in place, I never would have quit dumba s s..)

How does any student loan work? They give you money, in return they collect interest.. Most people I know that borrow money for student loans don't even work in the feild they just studied.. And don't end up with good careers.. Why would something with the platform of a 100k a year job, not be worth "taking a loan out on that will guarantee your future".

Repayment would not hurt your income in the future as another poster stated.. You make 80k first year, by the time you pay that % back, it's as if you made $60k.. So what should that take, 3-5 years to pay back? Then you're good just in time for Max progression!! But at least you were able to make it to get there! Just had a guy quit last week that had worked there a year, and drive thru peak.. Told to come back in the hub, and he couldn't do it anymore and had to leave cause he was offered a better job (for the moment) and had to go.. So now he has to settle for a $40k a year job instead of his dream of driving making better money.. All because of the odd hours and waiting game..

And whoever said the Orlando hub is laying people off, don't know where your info is coming from, but one of the guys who just passed school back in September was just notified to be ready to train for route next Wednesday..

Funny how everyone knows so much but it's all fictional..

Why is fridgdft the only one who ever answers rationally with actual substance instead of rant?

Faceplanted

I quit because hours of another job didn't mesh with the odd hours of UPS.. (So if this was in place, I never would have quit dumba s s..)

How does any student loan work? They give you money, in return they collect interest.. Most people I know that borrow money for student loans don't even work in the feild they just studied.. And don't end up with good careers.. Why would something with the platform of a 100k a year job, not be worth "taking a loan out on that will guarantee your future".

Repayment would not hurt your income in the future as another poster stated.. You make 80k first year, by the time you pay that % back, it's as if you made $60k.. So what should that take, 3-5 years to pay back? Then you're good just in time for Max progression!! But at least you were able to make it to get there! Just had a guy quit last week that had worked there a year, and drive thru peak.. Told to come back in the hub, and he couldn't do it anymore and had to leave cause he was offered a better job (for the moment) and had to go.. So now he has to settle for a $40k a year job instead of his dream of driving making better money.. All because of the odd hours and waiting game..

And whoever said the Orlando hub is laying people off, don't know where your info is coming from, but one of the guys who just passed school back in September was just notified to be ready to train for route next Wednesday..

Why is fridgdft the only one who ever answers rationally with actual substance instead of rant?
I wish I could legally take a pic of the dispatch board. You prob don't even know what that is, but anyways, One of the 3 centers in the hub had 10 + guys laid off/ scheduled off Wednesday just in that one center. There are 3 centers in Orlando hub so I can probably at least double that 10 if not triple it. These are all FULL TIME drivers. Another another 10 or so cover guys to that per center

Training for sat air doesn't count there buddy.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What jobs did you all do while waiting for a FT position to open up within UPS that allowed you to work the odd hours but still supported your families? Just wanting some input.. Negative comments can stay out please.
I worked at an Engineering company as a programmer.

tacken

Part time jobs aren't meant to be able to live and sustain as a family. That's what full time jobs are for. You sound like the meek that work at McDonald's and want $15/hour
Lets see they the part timers at UPS bust there humps. Not meek they work hard for the little they get.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They had programmers way back then?
I programed on Mainframes up to that point.
I worked for a nuclear fuel assurance company before this programming in Fortran.
Even passed a Security Clearance.
I went to the Engineering company because they had an HP minicomputer (about 2 feet wide by 3 feet deep and 12 inches or so tall).
No one knew how to run it so it was a good experience and a lot of autonomy.
When I went full-time at UPS, the Engineering company offered me a friend/T job but I felt UPS was the better place.
They went bankrupt about 15 years after that.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I programed on Mainframes up to that point.
I worked for a nuclear fuel assurance company before this programming in Fortran.
Even passed a Security Clearance.
I went to the Engineering company because they had an HP minicomputer (about 2 feet wide by 3 feet deep and 12 inches or so tall).
No one knew how to run it so it was a good experience and a lot of autonomy.
When I went full-time at UPS, the Engineering company offered me a friend/T job but I felt UPS was the better place.
They went bankrupt about 15 years after that.
Good decision sounds like

Orion inc.

I like turtles

So based off your numbers, you think a brand new driver starting out makes 80k?

Might want to check your math there. It's way off.

Also once again, why should ups give you a loan because you're PT and live above your means? You think they should pay you the difference so you can live off about $800 or so a week by your numbers?

I know many PT employees who made it in life on way less then that. Myself included when I worked my way up. It's called life.

You seriously don't have a clue about how to make life work at ups. No wonder you quit before.

You're going to get your "dumb ss " handed to you if you ever get a chance at your 30 days.

As face planted stated, you obviously don't know what's going on in your own hub concerning drivers. Being that he is one in your building, you might want to listen to him.

But you won't because you've proven on here to be clueless.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I have a g/friend right now and I told her I am staying part time forever so if we get married she can't take half my money if we get divorced. Seems like every driver I meet is divorced and bitter.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I have a g/friend right now and I told her I am staying part time forever so if we get married she can't take half my money if we get divorced. Seems like every driver I meet is divorced and bitter.
If you don't have a solid marriage and respect with mutual love for each other, ups life will certainly accelerate the potential for a divorce.

If you do have a solid understanding of compromise and the ability to get through stress together, you'll be fine.

ideliver2u67

20 Down
I worked for a beer distributer. Started at 5 am till around 3 pm. Then local sort from 5 pm to 10 pm. Did that for 5 1/2 years. I missed out on alot, but my family realized I was working towards a career. UPS is very demanding, and if your body makes it 30 years, it a good gig. I'm at 22 years and can't believe how fast it has gone.