3 40 methods

nomex

Can anyone help me find a compleat set of 3 40 method cards I have post card 2-23 but am missing 5, and 10 lookin to get them down they are hard to find pretty sure I have the only set in our center.

When you were trained as a driver, they used the 340 work methods maybe they just didn't use that term.
Basically everything you were taught to do to deliver a package is done using the 340s.
I have never seen flash cards for them though.

nomex

yeah when I was trained as a driver they hammered safety and said the rest of your training would be on road. No supervisor ever did more than a couple of hours on road with me and even then it wasn't very methodicel just a couple of tips like dont come to full stops at stop signs and walk straight through yards dont use paths if their out of the way. b.s.

the flash cards i have do reference the p.a.s. so i know thier current just not complete.

tips like dont come to full stops at stop signs and walk straight through yards dont use paths if their out of the way.
I'm not biting on this one said one fish to the worm. I don't believe it.

John19841

Are you serious? 77 pages? Do they just cover delivery methods, or every method for the whole company?

Is it current, or outdated?

Everything a driver would do from the time he punches in, to the time he punches out. It's dated 2005, so current. It mentions Edd in it, so it can't be too outdated.

Shoot me a pm with your e-mail, and I'll send it along. I've given it out enough already...

nomex

Thanks again Ryan that is just about what I needed. The cards I have are some of the same info but they have times too. Like a SP is allowed 6.5 seconds to start car from the time he hits the door to the relese of the hand brake. You pdf has it in detail how to do everything which is a big help also but if anyone has cards 5 and 10 of the set im talking about please hit me up.

over9five

Staff member
Everything a driver would do from the time he punches in, to the time he punches out. It's dated 2005, so current. It mentions Edd in it, so it can't be too outdated.

Shoot me a pm with your e-mail, and I'll send it along. I've given it out enough already...

Think I will....I'd like to check that out.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Be sure to do a complete PreTrip and Post Trip Inspection of your Package Car, and see what it does to your AM and PM times!:greedy:

rod

Retired 22 years
Be sure to do a complete PreTrip and Post Trip Inspection of your Package Car, and see what it does to your AM and PM times!:greedy:

At one time I had a list of everything they wanted you to do for a pre-trip on a package car. It had about a hundred things listed. I know if a driver checked everything, it would have taken a half hour easily.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If you do it every day you get faster at it. It's what they require so I do it every day.

You check all your lug nuts to see if they are loose, look under the car, and check all your lights every morning? In my 33 years, I have never seen anybody do a complete pretrip like IE says. No way you could follow everything listed under the 340 Methods manual and be out the building in the allowed AM time.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
I check the paint on the lugs. I look for rust, or if it is loosing there will be a crack in the paint between the nut and the rim, but I don't re-torque them every day. I look under my car everyday for leaks, broken leaf springs, or something hang down. Some times I find packages that fall under the car. In fact I look under my car after a delivery or pickup as I'm walking up to the car. It's just a glance to see if there anything that I could run over, but I don't bend down on all fours after every stop. I check all my lights every morning, but the back-up and brake lights I do in the building so I can see the reflection in my mirrors. It's not hard or any thing. It's the easier part of your job once you get into the routine. I'm not in IE, but most of the allowance is based off of averages, and not how long it really takes. If most drivers don't do a pre-trip the average time allowance goes down. I get crap from every one about it, but it's required so I do it. I try to do the best that I can to follow all the methods, and I mess up all the time, so I'm not perfect, but I don't stop trying every day. I only had on safety ride in my whole 16 years where he couldn't get me for one signal thing. Most safety rides they lie about something that I did wrong. They say they have too find so many safety violations or their not doing their job, and the center manager will make them do it again. It's sad that they fell they have to lie or they are not doing their job right. I do make some mistakes during the course of the day, and I don't mind being corrected on them. I don't like being written up for doing nothing wrong.