3 day ride and my experience

P

pickup

IMO, I think you should do the exact speed limit, as posted. I think that, technically, they can get you for trying to take your time, if they want to, as, you were going under the posted speed. Just keep a keen eye, and you'll do fine. For those that exceed the speed limit, you may want to rethink doing this. If anything happens, while traveling over the speed limit, it may cost you your job.

You can do the speed limit and still get a ticket for driving at an unsafe speed. For example, rain, visibility, conditions. Example of conditions: you are passing a fedex truck parked on the side of a narrow road with an ice cream truck with music playing across the street. If you are doing the speed limit as you pass fed ex and hit a kid crossing in front of fed ex: If I were a cop and you told me you were doing the speed limit, I could easily pop you off a ticket for driving at an unsafe speed.

2, how does supe know what speed you are driving at? Does he have a good view at the odometer from his passenger side seat that he is seat belted into?

rwsmith67

I have been told at least three times in the past three months by the center manager (in all seriousness) that if I don't like the conditions at UPS, I can quit. Is this a new national campaign by UPS? Or a new kind of harassment? And they want sales leads from us?

Helen, They were telling us that back in the early seventies, funny no one ever took their advice, I guess the money was too good to quit!!

Retired '04:happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You can do the speed limit and still get a ticket for driving at an unsafe speed. For example, rain, visibility, conditions. Example of conditions: you are passing a fedex truck parked on the side of a narrow road with an ice cream truck with music playing across the street. If you are doing the speed limit as you pass fed ex and hit a kid crossing in front of fed ex: If I were a cop and you told me you were doing the speed limit, I could easily pop you off a ticket for driving at an unsafe speed.

2, how does supe know what speed you are driving at? Does he have a good view at the odometer from his passenger side seat that he is seat belted into?
I was more talking about optimum conditions and what you should do on an OJS, as that is what they will supposedly try to set your SPORH at, yeah right.

Supe automatically becomes a changeling once, his butt hits that jump seat. Giraffe neck, for my point of view driving, and such.

This truly is one of those situations where the answer "I'll Work On That" would have worked perfectly.
Words to live by! That post right there, earned you some much needed repping, my friend.:happy2:

A

anonymous6

My pet peeve is people driving under the speed limit. But, with that said, I admit that I often feel much more comfortable driving under the speed limit for certain residential streets - especially those that are narrow and have many families with young children living on them. You, the driver, have to deal with those people on a daily basis, not the supervisor. Kids are often lackadaisical about where they run, and parents are often overly paranoid about a large truck driving down their street even doing 15 mph. I usually drive over the speed limit most places I go EXCEPT for high density residentials. It's generally better to err on the side of caution when children are involved.

You are exactly right. The speed limit of lets say 35mph is the LIMIT under IDEAL conditions. If it's raining, snowing, foggy, or any adverse conditions, law enforcement can give you a TICKET for going the speed limit. It's called driving too fast for conditions.

If there are children around, dogs, pedestrians, etc around the ACTUAL speed limit may be 5-10-15 mph or more BELOW the actual posted limit.

You can find this in the commercial drivers handbook. If I was you I would highlight it and show it to your on-road-stupe.

A

anonymous6

I have been told at least three times in the past three months by the center manager (in all seriousness) that if I don't like the conditions at UPS, I can quit. Is this a new national campaign by UPS? Or a new kind of harassment? And they want sales leads from us?

What made your center manager say this to you ? Are you just going about your business or have you been making complaints? just curious.

we don't have that problem in Nevada .....yet

NHDRVR

Been hearing that for a long time...

browniehound

IMO, I think you should do the exact speed limit, as posted. I think that, technically, they can get you for trying to take your time, if they want to, as, you were going under the posted speed. Just keep a keen eye, and you'll do fine. For those that exceed the speed limit, you may want to rethink doing this. If anything happens, while traveling over the speed limit, it may cost you your job.

No. In my opinion you shouldn't do the exact speed limit because it is too close to going over the speed limit. The exception being the freeway where everyone is speeding and you should do the limit.

The speed limit is just THAT. Its the LIMIT and not what you are required to drive. Its the MAX we are allowed to drive.

Why get so close to that speed that you may go over it? Unless posted, there are no speed minimums. I think you should drive as slow as you feel is safe. I don't care what your superviser says. You and he will be much more upset if you hit something or someone that darts in front of your truck while doing the speed limit. Maybe you will miss him if you're driving 5-10 MPH below the speed limit.

I'm not talking the freeway here. I'm talking thickly settled residential areas with ball parks.

Slow down and use caution and ignore the sup. that is whipping you. He can't fire you for being extra cautious.

Just for example, in MA 20 MPH is the speed limit in school zones when the lights are flashing. In a perfect world UPS would loop the route so we are never in school zones at dismissal times, but they never consider this in loop planning.

Would you drive a UPS truck at 20 MPH down a street with 100 kids walking on it? The street is narrow because parents are parked on each side waiting for their kid. 20 MPH? I know I would be driving about 3 MPH and using my horn every 50 feet.

I'm sorry UPS, you can't preach safety on me and then tell me to hurry up in dangerous situations.

A

anonymous6

Your sup's actions are nothing more than the behavior of a scared little man who has been given yet another impossible expectation to fullfill.

Your methods are good and your workpace is good, so his only choice is to invent something to complain about in order to justify his presence on the car and, ultimately, at UPS.

The bottom line is that YOU, not him, are responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle. If he instructs you to drive at a speed that you do not feel is safe, agree to do so only if he will put it in writing that you will not be held responsible for any accidents that occur by doing so.

I wouldn't recommend this. ( Your last sentence ) If I feel the speed that he wants me to drive is unsafe, I won't do it....period.

Your CDL is worth at least a million dollars or a lot more. I won't jeopardise my income, my safety, anybody's elses safety for NOTHING.

brownrodster

What were you doing talking to a center manager? I doubt I talk to a center manager 3 times in a year.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
No. In my opinion you shouldn't do the exact speed limit because it is too close to going over the speed limit. The exception being the freeway where everyone is speeding and you should do the limit.

The speed limit is just THAT. Its the LIMIT and not what you are required to drive. Its the MAX we are allowed to drive.

Why get so close to that speed that you may go over it? Unless posted, there are no speed minimums. I think you should drive as slow as you feel is safe. I don't care what your superviser says. You and he will be much more upset if you hit something or someone that darts in front of your truck while doing the speed limit. Maybe you will miss him if you're driving 5-10 MPH below the speed limit.

I'm not talking the freeway here. I'm talking thickly settled residential areas with ball parks.

Slow down and use caution and ignore the sup. that is whipping you. He can't fire you for being extra cautious.

Just for example, in MA 20 MPH is the speed limit in school zones when the lights are flashing. In a perfect world UPS would loop the route so we are never in school zones at dismissal times, but they never consider this in loop planning.

Would you drive a UPS truck at 20 MPH down a street with 100 kids walking on it? The street is narrow because parents are parked on each side waiting for their kid. 20 MPH? I know I would be driving about 3 MPH and using my horn every 50 feet.

I'm sorry UPS, you can't preach safety on me and then tell me to hurry up in dangerous situations.
Good point, brownie.

some1else

Banned
adjust to changing conditions!

every day i drive at or bellow the maximum speed at all times! consistency is the key. once you get used to driving at a reasonable speed; 23-25 in a 25 30-35 in a 35, most highways 55mph is fine and i drive as close to that without exceeding it as possible.

not only do i have more seat/ less delivery time, driving reasonably also has the advantage of lowering the probability of killing a kid!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
After posting this morning, I decided to focus my attention on my speed limit when residential speed limit signs were around. It was amazing how focused my job was that I barely gaze at my speedometer much of the day. I tend to focus more on my perception of driving safely than actually following MPH.

Everytime I drove by a sign I was at or above every posted speed limit. Was this the holy grail UPSTATE had talked about? SAFELY AGGRESSIVE may be how I drove all the time. My feeling on the OP's first post is that his sup was being annoyed by his AGGRESIVE SAFE driving and became irate.

Regardless, there is still no safety standard on driving speed that your boss can write you up for.

ol'browneye

I had my on-car with me one day. I was driving on a paved county road going down a slight grade. I kept the p5 in 3rd gear just to hold it back a little so I wouldn't have to ride the brake and it was kind of whining a little. My sup looks at me and says "Come on! Let's go!" I looked at my speedometer then looked at him and said "I'm doing 37 in a 35 now! I'm not going any faster!" as I hit the brake. Believe it or not he said "Speed limits are just a suggestion!"

This is the same sup that told me "If you drive fast over pot holes and washboards, it smooths them out!" HUH?

I tend to drive 22-23mph in resi areas as I feel it is a safe speed for the conditions. If there are kids present or parked cars on the streets, I usually lock it down a little more. I have one subdivision that I sometimes get in a split. I don't get there usually until 6-7pm. The streets are narrow and at that time of the day there are cars parked on both sides of the street and kids playing and also parents sitting out watching. You will find me doing 5-10mph with the flashers on!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
After posting this morning, I decided to focus my attention on my speed limit when residential speed limit signs were around. It was amazing how focused my job was that I barely gaze at my speedometer much of the day. I tend to focus more on my perception of driving safely than actually following MPH.

Everytime I drove by a sign I was at or above every posted speed limit. Was this the holy grail UPSTATE had talked about? SAFELY AGGRESSIVE may be how I drove all the time. My feeling on the OP's first post is that his sup was being annoyed by his AGGRESIVE SAFE driving and became irate.

Regardless, there is still no safety standard on driving speed that your boss can write you up for.
Sorry Hef, but I am going to pick on you a little. It's not you specifically but what you said. I can imagine that this is probably more of a common practice then most will care to admit to.

Seeing your speedometer and knowing your speed IS part of S & V. Every time you scan your area (while driving) in front of and behind you (mirror to windshield to mirror to windshield to dash to windsheild) you should be 'seeing' your speedometer. You should know what your speed is.

It is funny that this topic should come up. Thank you to the OP. I had the exact same situation occur today. My OC thought I should have gone through a lite that I knew, from experience, I would not have made it through. Although his words were far kinder the intent was the same. My response was to just look at him. I did not let him get to me. And as far as my driving goes he (nor any other sup/mgr) will ever get to me. I have been driving for a very long time, commercially. I am very confident in my driving skills and no sup will ever get away with telling me that I should go faster or cheat a lite. I am the driver responsible. If I have a sup that thinks his way is better than he can certainly have the keys and do the driving himself. Of course that will automatically negate the 3 day OJS.
:happy-very:
As a side note, this is the first time in 3 years of driving FT for UPS that I have ever had a 3 day punch to punch OJS.

Sober...... If he instructs you to drive at a speed that you do not feel is safe, [-]agree to do so only if he will put it in writing that you will not be held responsible for any accidents that occur by doing so[/-] hand him the keys and tell him that if he wants this truck to go any faster then he will have to do the driving.

TheOCbaby.............if some one wants to drive under the speed limit, sure I will bitch and complain and pass if I get a chance. Aside from that, I will back off and just go with the flow. Life is to damm short and the risks are to damm high.

I like the term 'safely aggressive', thanks Upstate, you have added a new catch phrase to my repertoire.

Helen, I would be filing harrassment on that so fast. It is threatening and intimidation. It is a hostile act.

NI1

I appreciate all the responses.

Day one was very interesting I had a very 'light' truck. I mean it is neatly loaded etc.etc.

Day 2 was very interesting as well: Before my shift, the shop steward and I went to talk to the center manager and I was just shaking my head with his response to what his supervisor's action was, he was actually siding with his sup (no surprise there).. Well to make the long story short, I just did what i did today, same phase, same speed etc.. My truck was again loaded neatly and all my bulk stops are so well organized. I then finished the route at 5 and clocked out at 5:30 with 130 stops (my normal at that time is usually 105). I got this area that is so tight that I finished 19 stops in about 25 mins.

I just cant believe how they play this game. After the 3 days watch all my apartments show up and the tight area disappear. I then asked the sup "when are you guys going to load me up normal" he goes "130 stops is pretty heavy" ..yeah right. It feels like all the small boxes and letters appeared and all the heave bulk stops disappeared and that is the easiest 130 i have ever done.

As far as the sup, he was trying to talk but I never did talk to him ALL DAY. After the shift he then told me "good methods" "good job" as if he deserves the credit on how I performed today.

Anyway, I am not signing anything and I do have a speech :) ready when they do the review. . ill keep filling too :) . I am a 15 yr vet and I know how these things work....

satellitedriver

The first thing that that popped into my mind, is why you were given a 3 day ride?
Why did you leave that part of the story out?
As far as the stale green light at an intersection , I agree.
In a neighborhood situation, I always drive slow. More than once, this has prevented me from injuring, or God forbid, killing a child.
I use a very simple rule driving, no matter if it is highway, or the bumpy back roads.
I never drive faster than I can see.

NI1

The first thing that that popped into my mind, is why you were given a 3 day ride?
Why did you leave that part of the story out?
As far as the stale green light at an intersection , I agree.
In a neighborhood situation, I always drive slow. More than once, this has prevented me from injuring, or God forbid, killing a child.
I use a very simple rule driving, no matter if it is highway, or the bumpy back roads.
I never drive faster than I can see.

I was about to type the answer to that but since you asked before I did I will quote you and answer you.

I filled a 9.5 grievance simple as that.