3 days out sick

Box_Junkie

Heres the situation. On monday both my children 6 & 2 were having fever and bronchitis and the wife had an important appt. of her own she couldn't miss, so I call in to assist. Turns out they both had ear infections and the bronchitis. They got their prescriptions and off we go. Tuesday morning about 1am the 6yr old starts having diarrhea and vomits up some blood after heavy vomiting. My wife takes him to the ER and is told it was due to the high dose of prednisone and antibiotics hes on. He apparently tore a blood vessel in his throat from the vomiting. We go home with a different medication, but the vomiting and diarrhea continue into the am. At around 5 am my wife starts having the same symptoms. I call my parents to come help, but they also have the symptoms. We find out its gastroenteritis or the stomach flu if you will. Sooo I'm forced to call in again as we have no relatives or friends free to help or willing for that matter. So come tuesday night, my 6yr old is starting to get better and my wife is still sick along with my parents, but the 2yr old and I are ok. I call myself back into service for today, wednesday. Come 5am of course I wake up with the same symptoms and I mean its bad! So I'm forced to call in again. Now I was wondering if I need to call my dr. and try to get a note for the 3 to count as one. I am not sure how this works as I'm rarely sick.

UPSGUY72

The three day should be one occurrence it was 3 days in a row. However, if you have 3 sick days they are going to pay you for three.

A Dr's note shouldn't be needed. However is your management team are a-holes it wouldn't hurt.

rod

Retired 22 years
The three day should be one occurrence it was 3 days in a row. However, if you have 3 sick days they are going to pay you for three.

A Dr's note shouldn't be needed. However is your management team are a-holes it wouldn't hurt.

Thats funny. It almost makes it mandatory to get the note.

undies

I would get the note if you can, especially since its a holiday week. Don't bother going into work Friday either, ask your doctor for the week off.

Box_Junkie

Just got back from the Dr. office. He wrote the note to excuse me for today and said I could return Friday. Yes my Center manager is an a-hole. He musta said something cause the union steward called and told me I should try to get a note. The driver sups are cool and didn't seem to care about the note. I'm guessing I'll get some crap since I've had the center manager on my butt since last week when I handed in a grievance to protest a warning letter. I'm a swing driver and covered a route that delivered to a game stop. I don't cover this route hardly ever. I had no clue gamestop was a SADR national account that had to be delivered by noon. The DIAD has no prompt informing me of this either. Ever since I protested the letter, well you know they have a lot more to say to me than before. Everything from my uniform to overallowed.

barnyard

KTM rider
Call your boss and ask them what they would like. If they say they want a Drs note, get one. If they say not to worry about it, don't.

It seems almost too easy.

over9five

Staff member
Just got back from the Dr. office. He wrote the note to excuse me for today and said I could return Friday. Yes my Center manager is an a-hole. He musta said something cause the union steward called and told me I should try to get a note. The driver sups are cool and didn't seem to care about the note. I'm guessing I'll get some crap since I've had the center manager on my butt since last week when I handed in a grievance to protest a warning letter. I'm a swing driver and covered a route that delivered to a game stop. I don't cover this route hardly ever. I had no clue gamestop was a SADR national account that had to be delivered by noon. The DIAD has no prompt informing me of this either. Ever since I protested the letter, well you know they have a lot more to say to me than before. Everything from my uniform to overallowed.
You did the right thing staying out to take care of your family. Who cares what your idiot center manager thinks, you're not here to be his friend.

STFXG

You don't need a drs note. Under the family medical leave act you can take time off for as long as your kids are being treated. As long as they go in for a follow up appointment.

I don't know ups policy for you calling in sick for yourself. Just saying a way you can stay home...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I would get the note if you can, especially since its a holiday week.

Yep. Just bad timing.

Call your boss and ask them what they would like. If they say they want a Drs note, get one. If they say not to worry about it, don't.

If it's legit.... Easy for your Doctor to verify.

You did the right thing staying out to take care of your family. Who cares what your idiot center manager thinks, you're not here to be his friend.

Absolutely.

I know I'd get a dr's note. Even if it's from the pediatrician.

Pretty easy to do. Plus....your backup comes from your Health Insurance statement.... where they paid the bills.

-Bug-

Box_Junkie

If they have more crap to give me when I return I'll get a dr not from my sons er visit. However I hope it wouldn't be necessary.

Box_Junkie

I deliver to a Gamestop and there is nothing in the DIAD which indicates that it has to be delivered by noon.

Same here so it will be interesting on how they try to say I should have known. Since no one told me, and I don't recall any specific training or lists of these such accounts. I've had another swing driver tell me that he delivered past noon and they said something but never gave a letter over it. Either way I'm never in trouble, below the radar. So when I do something in their eyes it always seems to fall harder on me than a fellow employee who is a "screw up". Guess I shoulda set the bar low to begin with... Sad that UPS pushes those ethics through they're actions.

STFXG

This isn't retroactive. This is currently going on. They are still being treated for bronchitis and ear infections which are legitimate reasons to take time off and are covered under FMLA. He would just need to notify the company and start whatever paperwork they have for him. Unless I'm misunderstanding something... Which is very possible.

UPSGUY72

You don't need a drs note. Under the family medical leave act you can take time off for as long as your kids are being treated. As long as they go in for a follow up appointment.

I don't know ups policy for you calling in sick for yourself. Just saying a way you can stay home...

You just don't get FMLA there are procedures you have to follow.

STFXG

Of course there are procedures. Never said there wasn't. Wouldn't he just need to contact the company and get the ball rolling? Is there any reason why he couldn't take time off and be covered under FMLA?