3 months since i quit, haven't looked back

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky did you drive?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. NO!!! I worked as a helper two years in a row (different districts). And I would NEVER drive for your company. No, sir. When I was a helper, my drivers told me too many horror stories about 12 hour dispatches, IDIOT drivers, etc. And management....NO WAY!! I love analogies, so I'll use one here: UPS is a fading dot in my rearview mirror. I'm in fourth gear, cruise control on and headed for that horizon! :happy2:. I don't do regrets, second thoughts, or"what-ifs." I'm very happy with a life outside UPS. And if things don't work out, hey, I'll know I took a chance. How many can say they took a chance? I might be broke in 5 or 10 years but I don't see that happening. Regardless, I'll be a much better person for taking a chance. Make sense? -Rocky

hoser

Industrial Slob
I'm with Rocky and Hoser... I left about 6-7months ago.. and there are few regrets
if any. money isn't everything.. and man it sure is nice to lay down with my wife at
bed time instead of having to sneak into the room and not wake her...

Yup Rocky I've been told to slow down too..here at FedEx.. :) unfortunately working
hard and fast comes naturally to me... so I just get to enjoy more extended lunches..
and even a few naps on the nice clean shelfs of my Truck.. ;)
you have seen the FX way of life... now imagine what it would be like to be a part time courier with FX to a package handler at UPS :anxious:

Hoser, Good thing you left UPS, sounds like you're too lazy to work there!:dissapointed:
yeah, pretty much. at this new job, there's down time so i can read or study. and while i'm doing the same work at UPS but with a carosel that goes around and around, there's a sense of accountability for the work i do, my direct supervisor is a lead whose in the union, i can watch sunday night football while doing this work as well. oh, and i enjoy showing up for work on my 4on 3off 22 hr/week schedule. :dissapointed::dissapointed::dissapointed:

Channahon

I don't know what it is, but when speaking to some of my fellow retirees, it's like we never spent our lives at UPS. You look forward to that last day, walk out and start a new life.

I do enjoy this site and it is my main connection to UPS, although I do still have friends both still working and retired from UPS that we keep in touch during the year.

Some retirees I keep in touch with have gone back to work out of boredom. I haven't and hope I'll never reach that point. Although, I just went to election judge training for the upcoming primary in February. That's the only commitment I've made since leaving UPS.

It's nice to see others leave UPS and venture out to other companies. Whatever works for you personally, after all, you only go around once.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Hoser...I see you are now in the IAM&AW union. Welcome to the same union that represents a lot of the UPS mechanics. I do hope you are in the IAM Pension Fund.
i am really young and in part time. i signed up for the pension unaware that there is no opt out unless i quit before i'm 45. i foresee that happening. but i will definitely take the money that i will have cashed out and put it into my own retirement savings!

our contract is up on 1 jun 2009 and EVERYONE is saying that there's gonna be a strike.

SmithBarney

you have seen the FX way of life... now imagine what it would be like to be a part time courier with FX to a package handler at UPS :anxious:

Actually that plan is/could be on the drawing board.. I'm planning a move shortly
and working preload and PM courier at FX might just happen. ;)

S

stumpy

Ok, I have looked back. After all, I'm on this forum.

Since quitting, I've worked for an airline. I've been to Toronto, Winnipeg(WHOOOO!), LA, and I'm going to Chicago this weekend to see the flames take on the blackhawks. I may go to Montreal for new years eve, I'd like to go back to Japan for a few days, a buddy is taking me to see his family in Ireland in February, and ms. hoser and I plan on going to Brasil in April. The pay sucks, however, and because I'm part time and the company is still considered to be "restructuring" (HUGE concessions from the union were given in 2003), I don't get a $1 raise until TWO YEARS of employment. However, the contract is up in 2009 and everyone is crying doomsday.

The scheduling at this place sucks. It's a shift bid system. There are 220 full time employees and if I were full time, I'd be at 211. There were 28 part timers, and I am 28. Despite this, I got a pretty good line de-icing planes from Tuesday-Saturday 1630-2100. The company is projecting 60 part timers by the next bid, so this means I will have a LOT of seniority on people without really having seniority (the most senior pt has been there since 2000). The bids are for 6 months at a time, the next one for summer is up in April. Summer sked sucks, part timer lines are normally 25-32 hours a week, while winter skeds are normally 20-24hrs a week. Because I am paid for every day regardless of whether I work them or not, I have to "sell" my days if I want them off. I can also "buy" days for cash or a shift trade. While I make an hour, the sell/buy rate is usually 30% more than what I make, so I either lose a lot of money or buy a lot of shifts and use that to sell my days. I choose the latter so finances aren't an issue.

The union is pretty good, the IAMAW. There was an issue with overtime with the company, and despite me not being initiated within the union yet, I got an answer and solution within hours. They have an office right beside our lunch room, and the local president (who we re-elected) is great.

The work environment is great, which is why the pay sucks. Last night I groomed one flight and another flight I threw ten bags and pushed back, and that was it. No hidden jobs, no surprise trailers full of volume, nothing. You do your flights and your spare time (on the clock) is your spare time. The rest I just read/studied/watched tv. Managers are pretty good, they REALLY respect our rights and they don't try ANY funny stuff. Any violations of the contract I found to be incidental more than intentional. Many employees don't feel the same way, but when you're making $29/hr and you're told that you're now making $23/hr, I'd be pissed as well.

Overall, it's great. I love my co-workers, I love the benefits, but I miss the consistent schedules, the fact that I was almost top of the seniority list with 8 months in, and THE PAY. I just thought I would let you guys know about what it's like with another company. Each has their pros and cons, UPS definitely wins with the pay, benefits, scheduling, and the fact that I can REFUSE OVERTIME.

Anyone else on the forum who left, said they haven't looked back, when really, they have?

S

stumpy

I've worked at ups since 1985.......attitude was good back in the good old days now every thing sucks...attitude atmosphere I'm afraid to go in every morning....I wish people would care about others and listen instead its all about numbers production for management and as for the employees nobody wants to help anybody they just want to do what is in the truck and go home....I witness back stabbing lies ..... it sucks...my attitude sucks and I hate the way I act when at work...I feel like i am evil....i am thinking of quitting but I don't know what to do....the only thing I know how to do is deliver and pick up packages....my job is driving me crazy....i am lost

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
She had a weight issue for awhile, shes still hot. I know what a hot woman looks like, may not be one, but know one.

satellitedriver

Based on the date of the post, it looks like 7 days for you to make a decision, but who's counting?

Slick,
much has changed since that post.
In Oct 2010, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I got gut cut and returned to work in Feb 2011.
Financially, I am able to retire after 25yrs, except for one very important caveat in the Central States retirement health care insurance plan. Max yearly insurance payments are $150,000, thru CS, and at a cost of $800 a month.
Since I have a pre-existing condition, self insurance would cost me $3,000 to $4,000 a month.
So, to answer your question, the decision was already made for me.
Each morning I dust off my boots and try to make one more day.
Tomorrow will have to take care of itself.
Based on your post, you have been keeping a sharp eye on me.
Thanks for your concern.

klein

Für Meno :)
Sad and scary to hear you had cancer, and I prey it never shall return.
Also a bit sad, that from all countries the US doesn't have a healthcare system in place for when it's really needed by the needy.
Hoping you won't need to work until God takes you away.

Enjoy your new healthy life each and every day !
We all take life too much for granted (but, I know you know better yourself).

Take good care, Sat ! You have a piece of my heart.