3 page hand out today for on line media groups.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Is this the same "boiling pot" that is too damn afraid to sign union rep cards in an attempt to put a stop to the crap that has been rolling downhill for the past decade (at least)?

No... I think Express thought this one out rather well. They know that when the October surprise is popped, that there will be an uptick in discontent. I think vantexan nailed it when he suggested that this policy change is in anticipation of what is going to happen,

deliberately ratcheting up the level of fear in the wage employees to keep their mouth shut if they want to keep their employment.

One has to remember, Brown Cafe (with all due respect) is a backwater among social media sites. The readership to the "FedEx list" may number 150 - and that includes a healthy number of UPSers taking an occasional peek from their usual time on the UPS boards.

"Traditional" social media, has all posters automatically identified as part of their profile. So Express' move essentially silences those venues - or places employees on notice that if they do start to spout off - they will have undetermined consequences to face.

There is something that is curious to me (believe it or not, I DON'T do other "social media" other than BC)....

Is Express going to monitor the profiles of each and every employee - for potential "bad talk" about Express? Does Facebook have forums dedicated to topic discussion (I'm asking, I don't have a clue)?

It just seems difficult to imagine that Express would go to the time to monitor individual's profiles on other social media (who happen to ID themselves as Express employees).

Now... monitoring sites such as this is a no brainer - it is all in a nice, compact format where a single person can keep up to speed with what chatter is going on and make reports back to higher ups.

Hmmmmm.... sound familiar?

I don't think there is going to be a massive backlash. What I was referring to was more of an expansion of awareness and underground communications. By clamping down on social media they will likely have the unintended consequence of broadening dissent. If only more of the sheep had awakened 2 years ago.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not sure if it was mentioned, but Supreme Court decided in favor of an employee who spoke out against their co. and that does set some precedent.

hypo hanna

They are counting on the fact that most employees couldn't tell you what the Supreme Court does much less cite one of their decisions. This is certainly true of my hypothetical workgroup.

thedownhillEXPRESS

They are counting on the fact that most employees couldn't tell you what the Supreme Court does much less cite one of their decisions. This is certainly true of my hypothetical workgroup.[/QUO]

Its just a matter of time until Fedex subpoenas brown cafe for the ip addresses of all of us.
Oligarchy is here now in america, we mean nothing to the wealthy class.

Goldilocks

They are counting on the fact that most employees couldn't tell you what the Supreme Court does much less cite one of their decisions. This is certainly true of my hypothetical workgroup.[/QUO]

Its just a matter of time until Fedex subpoenas brown cafe for the ip addresses of all of us.

This could happen!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

My lawyer would have to go to the hospital because his erection would last far more than 4 hours.7-figure settlements get him really excited.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx is scared, because social media threatens their shady business model, which doesn't work if you have informed employees sharing information. Hypothetically, of course, as hanna had suggested, all conversations here, both past and present, are hypothetical, and thereby not legally actionable. Screw you, Fred(hypothetically).

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Waiting for Dano to chime in on why you would know how many hrs. your lawyer has erections for. Be careful what you say on here, MFE, hypothetically.

My lawyer hypothetically told me that his erections last for 8 hours for 7-figure settlements, but only 3 hours for 6-figure settlements. So,it's the big ones (lawsuits) that send him to the hospital. I think Dano got canned by Shill Central, and I am anxiously awaiting his replacement.

Ricochet1a

I've got a hard copy of the document in my hands, "Social Media Guidelines". I'm going to review it for a bit and try to summarize its contents.

Ricochet1a

It starts as follows:

The following provides employees with an understanding of FedEx guidelines about individual participation and personal comments in external internet social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkenIn, personal blogs and YouTube. These Guidelines apply to all external online situations where you identify yourself as a FedEx employee.

These Guidelines are intended to protect Company and employee interests. The Guidelines are not intended to limit any employee rights, including the right to communicate about working conditionas and/or employment terms. As always, should you have any questions about FedEx policies, please feel free to ask your manager or Human Resources.

Summary of key points:

1) Personal account user names should not contain "FedEx" or other company trademarks.

Well, we know one person who is already in trouble here...

2) When you identify yourself as a FedEx employee while using social media, you should follow the same policies that FedEx employees are expected to follow every day, including the FedEx Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and your operating company's Acceptable Conduct and Computer/Internet Resources policies.

I read this to state that even when you are "off the clock", once you identify yourself as a FedEx employee, you are held to the same standard (and presumably the same potential discipline for violation fo that standard) as if you were on company time or in uniform.

3) Employees can engage in limited use of company resources to engage in social media - as long as it doesn't interfere with work duties, etc. Any use of company resources is subject to monitoring and no expectation of privacy exists.

Standard "boiler plate" statement regarding use of corporate resources.

4) "If you are in a social media setting and you believe someone has made comments regarding FedEx that are illegal or violate Company policy, you can choose not to respond or you can contact socialmedia at Fedex dot com. The Company has a staff of individuals who are authorized and trained to respond."

Well, there you have it folks, there is no denying it anymore - your employer is actively looking at what you write and make public on your time.

Here is my favorite....

5) "Do not disclose or misuse confidential proprietary or private information. Examples include any non-public informatoin about FedEx earnings, technology, business plans, intellectual property, vendors or customers, social security numbers and personal health information."

Gee... I wonder what they are worried about.

Here's one for vantexan

6) "This Guideline is not intended to restrict communications by employees about wages, hours, or other terms and conditions of their employment."

So you can "talk about your day"... but you can't call Fred a ratfink in the process...

Finally, the Big One...

7) The Guidelines are meant to protect you by helping you comply with the FedEx Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and other applicable Company policies, violations of which can result in discipline up to and including termination. The Guidelines are also meant to protect FedEx, as deviation from the Guidelines can expose FedEx to legal liability, harm the FedEx brand, or damage trusted relationships with customers.

FedEx reserves the right, subject to applicable law, to monitor online activity by employees using FedEx computer resources, including activities on social media websites.... FedEx may modify, suspend or withdraw the Guidelines at any time.

So there you have it. Your employer is keeping an eye on you, and if you libel FedEx in anyway, you may be subject to discipline up to and including termination. I like how they put in the modify at anytime part - to cover their bases if they get their butt hauled into court....

vantexan

It starts as follows:

The following provides employees with an understanding of FedEx guidelines about individual participation and personal comments in external internet social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkenIn, personal blogs and YouTube. These Guidelines apply to all external online situations where you identify yourself as a FedEx employee.

These Guidelines are intended to protect Company and employee interests. The Guidelines are not intended to limit any employee rights, including the right to communicate about working conditionas and/or employment terms. As always, should you have any questions about FedEx policies, please feel free to ask your manager or Human Resources.

Summary of key points:

1) Personal account user names should not contain "FedEx" or other company trademarks.

2) When you identify yourself as a FedEx employee while using social media, you should follow the same policies that FedEx employees are expected to follow every day, including the FedEx Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and your operating company's Acceptable Conduct and Computer/Internet Resources policies.

I read this to state that even when you are "off the clock", once you identify yourself as a FedEx employee, you are held to the same standard (and presumably the same potential discipline for violation fo that standard) as if you were on company time or in uniform.

3) Employees can engage in limited use of company resources to engage in social media - as long as it doesn't interfere with work duties, etc. Any use of company resources is subject to monitoring and no expectation of privacy exists.

4) "If you are in a social media setting and you believe someone has made comments regarding FedEx that are illegal or violate Company policy, you can choose not to respond or you can contact socialmedia at Fedex dot com. The Company has a staff of individuals who are authorized and trained to respond."

Well, there you have it folks, there is no denying it anymore - your employer is actively looking at what you write and make public on your time.

Here is my favorite....

5) "Do not disclose or misuse confidential proprietary or private information. Examples include any non-public informatoin about FedEx earnings, technology, business plans, intellectual property, vendors or customers, social security numbers and personal health information."

Here's one for vantexan

6) "This Guideline is not intended to restrict communications by employees about wages, hours, or other terms and conditions of their employment."

So you can "talk about your day"... but you can't call Fred a ratfink in the process...

Finally, the Big One...

7) The Guidelines are meant to protect you by helping you comply with the FedEx Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and other applicable Company policies, violations of which can result in discipline up to and including termination. The Guidelines are also meant to protect FedEx, as deviation from the Guidelines can expose FedEx to legal liability, harm the FedEx brand, or damage trusted relationships with customers.

FedEx reserves the right, subject to applicable law, to monitor online activity by employees using FedEx computer resources, including activities on social media websites.... FedEx may modify, suspend or withdraw the Guidelines at any time.

So there you have it. Your employer is keeping an eye on you, and if you libel FedEx in anyway, you may be subject to discipline up to and including termination. I like how they put in the modify at anytime part - to cover their bases if they get their butt hauled into court....

#4 sounds like they want you to report others to them.

TUT

What usually happens when you try and put a lid on a boiling, seething pot full of noxious discontent? The lid comes off.... and spreads like wildfire.

I think the best current example of this is Rodger Goodell and the NFL Concussion situation. The NFL should have never ever talked about it publicly, now they have so many retired players looking for money. Imo it was a simple mistake that the owners of the league should review and potentially can his ass over. I don't disagree with a lot of what he believes in, but you can't advertise for potential lawsuits. You work the problem behind the scene's not in public.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It starts as follows:

Summary of key points:

Here is my favorite....

Here's one for vantexan

Finally, the Big One...

I haven't seen a copy yet. I'll have to change my username to MrFedEcks.

DontThrowPackages

I've been working for a while and seen workers come and go. One worker whom transferred to another location told us about a firing of an employee at that location. Well the exact same infraction was done at our location but no firing. Without going into details, information was giving back and forth between the two locations. Armed with the information from our location, the fired worker fought and got his job back. The worker said, the managers looked him as he argued his case and the look on their faces was like, where the heck did he find this out?. So maybe the company is also thinking with a network like this, good information will be passed back and forth making it harder to do as they please to unknowing workers. Just maybe?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Oh, so if I'm off the clock on my own time it's as if I said it on the clock? Sorry, but unless I'm getting paid, my personal time is exactly that....personal. It is not subject to FedEx monitoring. I do believe it's time to call in the lawyers. Perhaps the ACLU would even be interested in this one.

The mental world of MFE is a very strange and unusual place.

Publicly defaming your employer can get you fired and it's perfectly legal, snowflake.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
But are we libeling them by stating facts? And are they going after us or just preparing for the outrage that's sure to come in October?

It would be a stretch to consider the things you say as libel or defamatory. When you-know-who goes on one of his "off his meds" tirades in which he cranks the idiocy and immaturity up to 11 by invoking Fred and feces and his usual stuff, that's a different story.