3 Things

old levi's

blank space
There are 3 things that every pkg. driver should have to do for at least one year to become a complete driver:

1. Run a satellite route.

2. Pick up from a UPS store.

3. Work out of a standard transmission 800 with the seat welded to the seat post and no
power steering.

tourists24

I got to do point 3 today...lol.... they took my truck out of service and put that piece of crap in its place.... amazing how spoiled we get

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There are 3 things that every pkg. driver should have to do for at least one year to become a complete driver:

3. Work out of a standard transmission 800 with the seat welded to the seat post and no
power steering.

Our center has one Satellite route and one UPS store. That would be tough to accomplish.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

power steering.

I have done #2 and #3 more times than I can even remember. As far as #1 goes, I have never run a satellite route, but I have towed a pup trailer to and from one. Does that count?

power steering.

6. Crap your pants on road out in the most rural of rural area.

JustTired

free at last.......
7. Take your lunch and breaks according to contract. (1 year should get you in the habit) (and should get them to fix any anomalies in your area that would preclude you from doing so)

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
done all those also ran blind splits spread far between areas. Ran for multiple centers same day coming back with 5 diads. Also ran out of different hub altogether blind last minute change and leaving my hub at 8:50 race to other center with no time to even look through the area I have to run with no knowledge. I have my fair share of ulcers so do I have the job? Am I qualified yet? apperently not, cause now up doing the E.A.M. bullcrap again with spread out crap in 4+ zips and trying to pull E.a.m.s off in areas that had 8:30 commits being pushed into 8:00 commits this week, (cause IE says it can happen), with no real plan from management on how to pull them off cause another driver costs to much for us and let the driver take the fall. Shoot me clean please.

menotyou

bella amicizia
This would give an insight to what the part-timers go through but is certainly not necessary to be a driver.
Not necessary but very advantageous. Lets you understand where things might be in your truck cuz you get to understand the science of loading a truck, not just unloading. If you are a good loader, there is a science. I am not talking about PAL's, either. I learned to load the real way. By load charts.
Personally, I think a driver needs to start in the feeder for one year, out to loading for another before they can touch a truck.