3 to 12 months to promote to Driver?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by S.F. Rush, Jun 2, 2013.

1. S.F. Rush

S.F. Rush Active Member

Hello to anyone who has an opinion on this,

I was hired about 5 months ago as a sunrise loader/unloader, upon my hire I asked the H.R. manager what kind of amount of time I would be looking at to go full-time driver. She said anywhere from 3 months to a year. I had heard that this was the case at my hub before I actually was hired. I guess my question is, do you really think that is true or was the manager just trying to get me in to fill the void. I've heard that people transfer to my hub all the time for this reason. Does anyone think that this could actually be true

​thanks yall

2. Re-Raise

Re-Raise Well-Known Member

If you have read any of the threads on this site, I think you already know the answer.

3. Eman1978

Eman1978 Member

It took 13 years for me.

4. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

The current norm I'm seeing is 3-9 years, but it varies greatly.

5. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Are you sure it's not every 3 to 12 months they promote the senior employee to driver? Maybe in 10 years you'll find out.

6. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

If you work in a big city it's possible

7. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Managers don't lie.

8. neartom

neartom Member

I have a bridge that I think you should buy from me. You could turn it into a toll bridge and make a fortune.

9. Nor do they tell the truth!!

10. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

It could take you anywhere from 30 days to 30 years. And that's just a ballpark figure.

11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Did you work for the cable company prior to coming to UPS?

12. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

"There's a sucker born every minute", PT Barnum and David Hannum

13. Your manager is most likely correct. According to a 2012 Standard & Poor's report, 8 % of UPS Full Time hires had been employed with the company under 24 months. I guess your hub is part of those 8%.
    Good luck with your career in UPS, try developing your skills as much as possible and grow together with this awesome company.

Thanks,
    Loyal Teamster

14. Re-Raise

We hire 1 outside for every 6 inside. The outside hires haven't been with the company very long.

15. UpstateNYUPSer

I know one who has been here for 24 years.

16. Re-Raise

I was responding to the post about how long new full-time hires had been with the company, it didn't really have anything to do with how long they would stay with the company.
    You really had to reach there to make it about you, but you did.

17. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

I know I probably shouldn't feel this way, but I don't have the same respect for an off-the-street hired to perm full time that I do for someone like us who took their lumps working 2 jobs, many of us on the night shift getting 2 hours of sleep per day for years to get the chance to go driving.

18. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I respect the driver for how he performs his job as a driver.

19. UpstateNYUPSer

In my 24 years I have yet to figure out how knowing how to load 'em has anything to do with knowing how to deliver 'em. Some of our best preloaders have become some of our worst drivers and vice versa.

We have a PT cover driver who is used only as a last resort (hell, they'd rather put the janitor on the street than this guy) as he seems to think that he can maintain his insider pace while on road.

20. Coldworld

Coldworld Well-Known Member

your a dying breed...this isnt the 80's anymore...Im actually glad that they took a chance on a military veteran, or any military veteran for that fact, but there will never be more that a trickle of outside hires in the future...the floodgates have locked shut!!