3 years loading 1 truck. Why?

Box Ox

What do you all think?

Be careful what you wish for if what you're already loading isn't bad. Start rotating on different sets and you become a preload T-Rex that only covers the heaviest route sets at your location.

You'll get pounded 5 days a week while Jimmy McMuffin across the belt whistles while he loads his little residential set.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Jeez, when I was in preload, me and another person loaded 4 vans and had to do our own sort, and on holidays had a closed trailer in our set. One truck sounds easy-peezy

SubPop79

Be careful what you wish for if what you're already loading isn't bad. Start rotating on different sets and you become a preload T-Rex that only covers the heaviest route sets at your location.

You'll get pounded 5 days a week while Jimmy McMuffin across the belt whistles while he loads his little residential set.

HAH, one of last floor sups was named Jimmy. What a dick.

Last edited:

SubPop79

Just making sure, you are a preloader who (only) loads one PC?
You load ONE truck...and You're complaining? Even if it's a van (box truck)....most loaders are made to load at least 2 a day in my building.
Everyone in my center loads 3-4 on their own, why are you doing just one?
Jeez, when I was in preload, me and another person loaded 4 vans and had to do our own sort, and on holidays had a closed trailer in our set. One truck sounds easy-peezy
Is this a trailer or a package car

53 foot trailer, 1200 20lb packages on average, 60 some bags usually, extending rollers, and I get the bulk of some of the heavier (weight and volume) shipments. Sorry, should have made that clear. LOL only one package car. Man, I don't know if I could even work a job that easy.

PT Car Washer

And, being a bad/good loader won't affect your chance to go driving. That's all controlled by seniority.
Being a bad/good loader or unloader will effect if you pass the driving test when you do have enough seniority to bid a driving job. Center managers talk to the preload or hub about what kind of employee the next driver candidate is. Not all about seniority.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
53 foot trailer, 1200 20lb packages on average, 60 some bags usually, extending rollers, and I get the bulk of some of the heavier (weight and volume) shipments. Sorry, should have made that clear. LOL only one package car. Man, I don't know if I could even work a job that easy.
Prior to the scanners having the beep when you misload it made sense keeping the same people in the same trailers. Now it doesn't really matter. If you want to do a different job talk to a sup or manager and ask. By the time I was inside for 3 years I had loaded trailers, unloaded trailers, driven inc trains, worked as a pickoff, sorted in the sort aisle, etc.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If I had a set up like that when I was a preload sup I would probably keep one guy in there as well, especially if you do a nice job. Mostly because few people on the sort have probably loaded a feeder and it's not like loading a PC. I would rather have someone I can depend on everyday in there to build nice walls than mix it up every couple of weeks and have to retrain a new guy. That skill isn't transferrable to other loading positions.

Dr.Brownz

I've been loading the same truck for over 3 years now and I've never been sent to another truck unless we were understaffed, which is rare - usually they bring in temps or unloaders. Seeing all the new hires and other loaders constantly being sent to other trucks has me worried that other supervisors don't want me on their PD. Or, maybe I'm the only one that can do this truck properly. Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to move up, but I'm worried that if the former is the case and I've been "blacklisted" from other trucks, maybe that would have an impact on trying to become, say, a driver or supervisor.

What do you all think?

If you are only having to load a single truck that is awesome for preload. Seniority is the only thing that determines a shot at driving. (sign every FT driver position list that gets posted, find out where in your building they are posted) Just keep doing a good job on that truck and don't worry about "moving up" or other nonsense like that. All work at UPS is like getting kicked in the nuts so I'd keep the nut kicking where you know what to expect.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Being a bad/good loader or unloader will effect if you pass the driving test when you do have enough seniority to bid a driving job. Center managers talk to the preload or hub about what kind of employee the next driver candidate is. Not all about seniority.
Correct, the notion that seniority is everything for becoming a FT driver has been proven wrong. If they don't like you, you aren't passing the road test, nevermind 30 days.

OP- sounds as though no news is good news...

Dr.Brownz

The reason you are in the trailer is possibly because loading/unloading trailers is the worst (union) job at UPS. Are you near the bottom of seniority list? Here they let PTers use seniority to assign preferred jobs but other places I have heard they don't allow it (places where the steward tucks their junk)

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I've been loading the same truck for over 3 years now and I've never been sent to another truck unless we were understaffed, which is rare - usually they bring in temps or unloaders. Seeing all the new hires and other loaders constantly being sent to other trucks has me worried that other supervisors don't want me on their PD. Or, maybe I'm the only one that can do this truck properly. Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to move up, but I'm worried that if the former is the case and I've been "blacklisted" from other trucks, maybe that would have an impact on trying to become, say, a driver or supervisor.

What do you all think?
Well first of all don't be a supervisor because they are stupid as :censored2:. Second it's based on seniority, so if you aren't signing bid sheets to move to other positions then it's your fault.

Why are you afraid of loading other trucks? It's not that hard to learn the way the truck needs to be loaded after a couple of days. Just as a cover driver needs to learn diff routes; it's all about adapting my friend.