30 years of service 25 years safe driving.

I made 25 years safe driving in February of this year. It sat on a shelf for 6 weeks until I asked center manager about it . He handed it to me and said goodbye. My satisfaction came from the fact that I can get under his skin that good. He made 2 major runs at getting rid of me and didn't get it done either time. That is job satisfaction.

Do your job.....get fired............................................................dont do your job....get fired.wtf??

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do not care about the awards, the plaque, yes I keep them but. Go back to your personnel classes,101 and recognition goes a long way. I used to say money was a motivator, and my professor argued with me that recognition was more of a motivator.
I got my 25 yrs of service handed to me by another driver. I got my 18 yr safe driving and my mgmt team gave it to me and announced it as yrs of service. Both were equally bad.
With a company as large as UPS, we are divided into small groups. Dont give me a ring, a wallet, or anything. No cakes or bananas. Im 55 I know how to eat or I would be dead. Just announce my achievement. it is one. Im glad Im almost done. Any amount of years at a company, even though they pay you well, deserves acknowledgement. Therefore when I finally get out, party at my house, bring a tent. I will have pictures and awards for those that survive.

The Milkman

Here's a nice little anecdote to go along with this:

Recently had one of the super-big regional big-wigs in our center. They went out with the on-roads to one of our bigger shippers in the area. They told the regional how the driver was like family to them, took awesome care of them, was basically someone they couldn't live without. We're talking they laid it on thick for the driver, and rightly so. He's an awesome guy.

So at the PCM, the regional didn't bother to get up in front of us to talk, didn't say anything to us. I did hear that a few of the Suites and Ties went up to the driver, and the district said "Hey, you're doing a great job out there, and we want to recognize you at the PCM for all your hard work and how great you are."

To which the driver replied "Oh, really? Because this schmuck over here has been trying to fire me for the past two weeks, has been harassing me so much I had to file a grievance for harassment for the treatment I've been receiving. So tell me again, why am I getting this??? Because he seems to think quite the opposite of my job performance."

So what did he get? He got a small (not even a full size card) with a small note written in it. No gift card, no invite out to a nice dinner... NOTHING. Just another piece of paper.

Pretty damned sad. This guy helps the company make THOUSANDS per day when he picks up at this business, and he got another piece of paper.

I hope he framed it, and hangs it in his package car.

:congrats::clubbing:

FilingBluesFL

Also, we've got a guy that's never going to come back to work, that is on disability. He went in for a heart procedure, and ended up having multiple strokes while on the table.

His 25 year service award is in the supervisors office... not sure when it's due, but I dunno how long it'll be there. I haven't heard his name mentioned in a long time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So what did he get? He got a small (not even a full size card) with a small note written in it. No gift card, no invite out to a nice dinner... NOTHING. Just another piece of paper.

Pretty damned sad. This guy helps the company make THOUSANDS per day when he picks up at this business, and he got another piece of paper.

If the guy is like me, he is quite satisfied with the paper paycheck he gets with THOUSANDS on it every week.
The rest of it is for silly emotional fools that like to be manipulated and who buy a new car every 3 years and wears brand name clothes.