30 years of service...big whup.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Didn't there used to be a catalog you guys could choose from?

They had one for years of service and one for years of safe driving. It used to have some really nice stuff like golf clubs, jewelry, electronics, and other toys. I got a really nice Sony camcorder for my 20 year safe driving. Seeing what you could get for meeting safety goals is more incentive than getting beat over the head for not knowing the latest safety acronym.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a nice clock and several nice portraits on my dining room wall that were safe driving awards.

While I do understand the elimination of the program, I would like to see it brought back on a more limited basis for milestone years, starting at your 5th year and every 5 years thereafter.

pretender

Up until this year, I had the same PT sup for the last 6 yrs. During the summer, he'd buy the line a case or two of gatorade every week. Once a week during peak, he'd buy donuts for all the loaders in our center out of his own pocket. And every christmas eve, his wife would make these lil goody bags for all of us with homemade cookies and candy. The cookies were terrible, but it was very sweet of her to do for people she'd never even met..lol. In return, one of us dinosaur loaders would take up a collection and buy the sup a gift card for xmas. This last peak, he stopped doing it. When I asked him why, he said the DM told him not to...that we get a paycheck and that's enough...we don't need anything extra.
Small tokens of appreciation such as that, really do make a difference in the long run...

pretender

I have a nice clock and several nice portraits on my dining room wall that were safe driving awards.

While I do understand the elimination of the program, I would like to see it brought back on a more limited basis for milestone years, starting at your 5th year and every 5 years thereafter.
I agree with that in theory--However, if I remember correctly, the awards for in between years were nothing to get excited about anyway.

pretender

My 25 year plaque was a nice one. I got my 30 year piece of paper 3 months ago and it is a joke. 30 year piece of paper is the same one as the safety years. This company is really fu.. Cheap. That's why I'm out of this place in 3 weeks.
I always thought that it should have been just the opposite--You should get a plaque for Safe Driving, and and piece of paper for years of service.

oldngray

nowhere special
They gave out plaques (and even gifts) longer for years of service than for safety awards. They "were" still giving out the plaques the last I heard but it wouldn't surprise me if it was changed to just a certificate only useful for wiping yourself with. I got a nice gift for 30 years in addition to the plaque but I'm pretty sure that went away.

Packmule

My wife just handed me my 30 years of service certificate. I am so happy to know our beloved company has spared no expense in showing appreciation to a valued employee. The postage alone must have set them back a couple of bucks. It gives me the warm fuzzies to know that our dear leader in Atlanta enjoys huge bonuses while I get a piece of paper worth five cents.
My 35 was the same way I thought. Then a few months later they handed me the wooden one. Don't know what else anyone else might get, but that's Bout it out here.

oldngray

nowhere special
When I started we got a wallet for every year of safe driving plus another gift every other year. I had a drawer full of those wallets.

FilingBluesFL

They had one for years of service and one for years of safe driving. It used to have some really nice stuff like golf clubs, jewelry, electronics, and other toys. I got a really nice Sony camcorder for my 20 year safe driving. Seeing what you could get for meeting safety goals is more incentive than getting beat over the head for not knowing the latest safety acronym.

I agree with that in theory--However, if I remember correctly, the awards for in between years were nothing to get excited about anyway.

I still have watch that I picked out for my One year safe driving kicking around somewhere lol Cheap, but decent! Maybe $10 at a Wal-Mart.

The in between prizes were kinda crappy, and you always had to pick from the same pool. So between 1-4 years, you had to pick from a limited amount of stuff. Then 6-9 years, you had a slightly better pool of stuff to choose from, or you could pick again from a previous pool of stuff.

The good stuff came at the Milestones. Every 5 years would be a "bigger" cooler prize. As you went up and hit the bigger milestone, the prizes got more and more badass.

I might still have a catalog around here somewhere from back then...

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Z

ZQXC

Portraits? Portraits of who; the original founders?

L

Lizzzow

My hats off to all of you seasoned drivers. I've got less than 10 years under my belt. Honestly some days don't know how a person could make it another 20 plus years. Think the only way I can survive is get off my metro route and bid the next country route that comes open.

My hats off to all of ou seasoned drivers. I've got less than 10 years under my belt. Honestly some days don't know how a person could make it another 20 plus years. Think the only way I can survive is get off my metro route and bid the next country route that comes open.
Just take care of yourself and dont overwork yourself! You will make It! Plus a few beers after work,doesnt hurt!

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
My hats off to all of you seasoned drivers. I've got less than 10 years under my belt. Honestly some days don't know how a person could make it another 20 plus years. Think the only way I can survive is get off my metro route and bid the next country route that comes open.

Don't blink. It goes so fast. All I know is that what we work for now is not the same company I started with. It was never easy work but you felt a certain quiet pride that you worked for the best. They would take care of you and reward excellence. Now we work for a company that views us as another piece of equipment. The pride is gone as it is now a matter survival.

pretender

Don't blink. It goes so fast. All I know is that what we work for now is not the same company I started with. It was never easy work but you felt a certain quiet pride that you worked for the best. They would take care of you and reward excellence. Now we work for a company that views us as another piece of equipment. The pride is gone as it is now a matter survival.
When I started out as a package car driver, the job was easier in some ways (few packages, 50lb limit) and harder in others (paper records, equipment). The biggest difference is that we worked hard, but we still had fun. There was more of a sense of community.