31.4 years in the saddle....what now?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I hate golf it NASCAR and soccer are about the only three sports I really hate. Most of my hate towards golf is because it's one of the very few sports I dont excel at and I'm just too damn competitive to lose all the time. However in retirement I will prob take up golf not
For structure but to feed that competitive fire.

brett636

I agree with your point except I might prefer to be a Wal-Mart greeter than be on the golf course everyday.

Spending your days at the golf club/course is better than being dead but only marginally ... based on my observations.

I'm sure you understood that I was just illustrating the point that come retirement we have the choice to live life by our terms or by someone else's. Personally by the time I reach retirement I desire to live by my own terms considering I will have spent my entire working life living by someone else's. If being a Walmart greeter is what you want to do so be it, but to retire only so you have to be a walmart greeter to make ends meet defeats the purpose of retiring in the first place. I do not golf myself, but if by some chance I get into it I want to be able to golf everyday assuming the weather is right rather than having to continue to live by a work schedule.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't get this need for purpose and structure.
I am striving to retire asap, with the goal that my purpose and structure can and will change daily.
I, like most here, have spent my entire adult life answering the bell 5 days a week in order to provide for my family.
I look toward the day when I get to deal the cards and decide when the bell will ring and where.
I am planning to avoid "structure" on "purpose".

Too many people (especially *men) die within 2 years of retirement.
The reason has been traced to depression that sets in when that person has no community, no structure and no purpose in their life.
Not everybody has this problem although a huge percentage goes back to work to get these back into their life.

* Not my words but rather a woman investigator of this phenomena - "Women just keep cooking and keeping house - men die."

Re-Raise

I need a challenge and am always striving to improve. It may be my golf game, my financial situation, or my health but I hate not being productive in some way.

I am not saying I don't enjoy the rest after a productive day. I just feel like I am one of those people who will have to stay active in retirement.

My wife gets on me during my vacations to not try to take on so many projects around the house , but I can't help it.

Did I just say 'my wife gets on me'? That is one of the only breaks I take.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I need a challenge and am always striving to improve. It may be my golf game, my financial situation, or my health but I hate not being productive in some way.

I am not saying I don't enjoy the rest after a productive day. I just feel like I am one of those people who will have to stay active in retirement.

My wife gets on me during my vacations to not try to take on so many projects around the house , but I can't help it.

Lucky girl. :winks:

brown bomber

brown bomber
The reason has been traced to depression that sets in when that person has no community, no structure and no purpose in their life.
Not everybody has this problem although a huge percentage goes back to work to get these back into their life.

* Not my words but rather a woman investigator of this phenomena - "Women just keep cooking and keeping house - men die."
I've been cooking and cleaning house for the past 11 yrs....in addition to working at UPS, until recently........now that I'm "retired"...I continue to cook, clean, launder, shop, and try to make sure the home still functions....by the way, I'm a guy...I should live to be 100 yrs. of age...using this phenomena

I've been cooking and cleaning house for the past 11 yrs....in addition to working at UPS, until recently........now that I'm "retired"...I continue to cook, clean, launder, shop, and try to make sure the home still functions....by the way, I'm a guy...I should live to be 100 yrs. of age...using this phenomena
You'll probably live 100 years because god loves you and your girls love you and need you. God bless

srvhero

"leastbest"

Don't know bout you guys, but there is not much community, structure, or purpose at the UPS I work. I have been with this company for 26 years and I spend most of my unfocused thoughts of how I can quit this terrible JOB. UPS now is not even close to the company of yesteryear.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Exactly ... you use the golf club and your group members to replace
1) the sense of community you had at work,
2) the structure of breakfast, warm-up and tee time and the daily match/competition
3) The purpose in life ... why I jump out of bed looking forward to another day. Getting good at golf (I was a 6 handicap) is hardly a real "Purpose".

The Purpose was why I would rather be a Walmart greeter than a Golf Club "hanger-outer".

I decided golf was not that thing that will provide Purpose in my life based on observing and talking to dozens of retirees who inhabit the golf course clubs.

The first post probably applies to you based on your attitude.
I'm a lot like what you described except the wife on me thing. :groooansmileyf:

I think I will stay very active in retirement. :vacuumsm:

menotyou

bella amicizia
I was always good at the games in the arcade, but the controllers and the combinations of buttons you have to push aren't easy for me with the carpal tunnel. I just can't sit that long. Those games take a while and, usually, involve a lot of sitting. That would be the hardest part for me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I was always good at the games in the arcade, but the controllers and the combinations of buttons you have to push aren't easy for me with the carpal tunnel. I just can't sit that long. Those games take a while and, usually, involve a lot of sitting. That would be the hardest part for me.

Unlike being on BC all day. No innuendo intended. :)