31.4 years in the saddle....what now?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Exactly ... you use the golf club and your group members to replace
1) the sense of community you had at work,
2) the structure of breakfast, warm-up and tee time and the daily match/competition
3) The purpose in life ... why I jump out of bed looking forward to another day. Getting good at golf (I was a 6 handicap) is hardly a real "Purpose".

The Purpose was why I would rather be a Walmart greeter than a Golf Club "hanger-outer".

I decided golf was not that thing that will provide Purpose in my life based on observing and talking to dozens of retirees who inhabit the golf course clubs.

Too many people (especially *men) die within 2 years of retirement.
The reason has been traced to depression that sets in when that person has no community, no structure and no purpose in their life.
Not everybody has this problem although a huge percentage goes back to work to get these back into their life.

* Not my words but rather a woman investigator of this phenomena - "Women just keep cooking and keeping house - men die."

As this thread evolved and I participated, these two posts weighed heavily on my mind.
Tonight straight home from work I rode the tractor around cutting grass as it approached twilight, with my daughters in the background jumping on the trampoline.
It was then it became crystal clear, my retirement calling.
I am hope to have my affairs in order as soon as possible so I can have the time to be the husband, father, and God willing (eventually) the grandfather I haven't had the time to be to date.
I also anticipate some time to spend on myself as well.
Working for UPS shouldn't be our "purpose" in life.

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I need to get working for a living out of the way as soon as possible so I can put some purpose in my life. Doctors, Lawyers, Educators Etc might have reason to keep working but people in mundane occupations like truck driving or factory work think of nothing else but retirement ASAP. I hope I'm a better Grandpa than Dad if only for the reason that I have the time.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I need to get working for a living out of the way as soon as possible so I can put some purpose in my life. Doctors, Lawyers, Educators Etc might have reason to keep working but people in mundane occupations like truck driving or factory work think of nothing else but retirement ASAP. I hope I'm a better Grandpa than Dad if only for the reason that I have the time.
I can only hope my children can understand the sacrifices I've made to improve their lives and their children's lives, isn't that what we are all here to do, to make this marble better than when we got here? Wish government could understand that.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I can only hope my children can understand the sacrifices I've made to improve their lives and their children's lives, isn't that what we are all here to do, to make this marble better than when we got here? Wish government could understand that.

I have two kids that wonder why we drive old vehicles as they educate themselves at the University of Wisconsin. I would love to have a 2012 Sierra instead of a 98 but much like all of my investments, I think long term. If I get the kids set now, they won't be milking me the rest of my life.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have two kids that wonder why we drive old vehicles as they educate themselves at the University of Wisconsin. I would love to have a 2012 Sierra instead of a 98 but much like all of my investments, I think long term. If I get the kids set now, they won't be milking me the rest of my life.[/QUOTE]

I had to laugh when I read that. Men don't have any control over how much "milking" is going on. The kids learn early on that Mom is one to go to when they need a "favor". It goes something like this --- gee Mom I wish we could bring the Grandkids back to your house for a week this summer but Joe don't have that much vacation so driving is out of the question and its just too expensive to fly all of us back". To which Mom replies " Oh "WE" would be happy to pay for the kids tickets. I guarantee I could absolutely, positively beyond a doubt put my foot down and say no way are we footing that bill and them Grandkids would still be here. By the way I wouldn't do that because I want to live longer.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As this thread evolved and I participated, these two posts weighed heavily on my mind.
Tonight straight home from work I rode the tractor around cutting grass as it approached twilight, with my daughters in the background jumping on the trampoline.
It was then it became crystal clear, my retirement calling.
I am hope to have my affairs in order as soon as possible so I can have the time to be the husband, father, and God willing (eventually) the grandfather I haven't had the time to be to date.
I also anticipate some time to spend on myself as well.

OK ... put these things you want to do in retirement that you are not doing now.
Take that list and
START DOING IT NOW!
Find a way.

Working for UPS shouldn't be our "purpose" in life.

Couldn't agree more.
It is very common for men and some women for their work to assume this position of importance.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Oh, don't use that china, it's for special occassions." Well, life is The Special Occassion. I truly believe in the saying...."We plan, God laughs!"

We have all these great plans for our future and we have no guarantee we will even be there or what shape we might be in.

"Just Do It".

hembone

"Oh, don't use that china, it's for special occassions." Well, life is The Special Occassion. I truly believe in the saying...."We plan, God laughs!"

We have all these great plans for our future and we have no guarantee we will even be there or what shape we might be in.

"Just Do It".
very true and very inspirational.