32 years old too late?

By The Book

I'd love to be 32 again. Started driving PC at last year at 47. Sucks to think I gotta work until 67 just to get 20 in for the pension. Maybe I should buy stock in the makers of ibuprofen & naproxin.
I think there are things you don't understand about how your pension works. If you worked part time it should count towards your total number needed to retire.

a911scanner

Thank you for your thoughts, but I understand clearly. I worked in the building for 60 days prior to winning a driving bid. So I currently have a total of 11 months working for brown.

SCV good to go sir.

You know your body better than anyone else. It's a tough job that will take its physical toll on you (at times mental and emotional as well). From what I understand, the vast majority of people stay in about the same shape in their 30s as they were in their 20s. So if you still feel healthy enough to run and gun (figuratively speaking), go for it. You definitely want to get your foot in the door now though.

I thought I was at the max age at 30 for becoming a driver, a lot of these posts are making me feel better about my career.

Oak

If you have a good work ethic, you'll be fine. It's hard work, but it's not sawmill hard. This old guy is in his early 50's and I haven't qualified yet. I've helped and know I can handle it. For how long, who knows? I can still load a feeder and smoke the youngsters they hire.

Hope my knees hold out.

One piece of advise, Work like you're always being watched. Never, ever, enter or exit without using your handrail, for example.

chris9834

If you have pains and aches I would say its not the best job lol because this job will bring them out...but if ur able body and can handle manual labor bring it on.

brett636

Its only too old if you think its too old. I know several drivers who didn't get into it until their 40s. Pushes that retirement date out a little bit, but its a good job if you can put up with the BS.

FlaccidEgo

I've just turned 35 and have just qualified as a driver. All the drivers I have talked to are earning excellent money and have excellent benefits. If you are sure you can handle the hard work and long hours, go for it!

By The Book

Thank you for your thoughts, but I understand clearly. I worked in the building for 60 days prior to winning a driving bid. So I currently have a total of 11 months working for brown.
Sorry for my assumption. I would still talk to your local and find out if you have to put in 20 before your eligible.

ChrisTheBrown

It depends how big the center/ hub that you're applying to..Do you know anyone that works where to intend to apply/ work? Perhaps they could fill you in & give you an idea of how long of a wait you'd have..Starting out the first few years or so absolutely sucks, by the way. Barely work more then 2 days a week pt (at least this was the case for me) most of your money will be eaten up by Teamsters initiation fees/ dues..I'm just about to hit 2 years PT seniority next month, started right before I turned 25. Barely ever get any driving time, & I qualified as a cover driver last July. Not saying this will be your situation also, but you'll need at least a second income to survive. Best of luck brother.