340 Methods

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
...I.E. did not create the 340 methods.
You're exactly right, these methods were written down over a period of time after observing drivers out on the road and seeing what they did right and wrong

If I didn't know you guys were kidding, one would think you were full of it.

After all, watching drivers out on road, writing down what they do right and keeping a stopwatch on them is the responsibility of what department at UPS?

d

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If I didn't know you guys were kidding, one would think you were full of it.

After all, watching drivers out on road, writing down what they do right and keeping a stopwatch on them is the responsibility of what department at UPS?

d

Funny stuff!

I am sitting here right now with the 340E right in front of me.

"UPS Industrial Engineering Standard Practice Manual"

Service Provider Delivery and Pickup Methods with ehanced Diad Download (EDD)

Version 340.061208 Page 1 of 76
Date Issued 10/04/05

:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:

You're exactly right, these methods were written down over a period of time after observing drivers out on the road and seeing what they did right and wrong. For example, one driver may have put his keys in his pocket and 5 times that day he spent time getting them after sitting down and it taking a few extra seconds here or there to get the keys. Then they see the driver that kept the keys on his pinky finger of his non dominant hand. Never any extra time digging for keys in pocket etc. Hence one of the 340 methods.

Wrong!!! From what I have been told from many sups and managers I have had. Noboby wrote down mwthods after observing drivers. The methods were suggestions that the drivers submitted.

pretzel_man

I find this thread very interesting. We cannot even agree that the 340 methods are excellent and should be followed.

On previous assignments to corporate, I wrote some methods. I know many others that also wrote methods.

Its never been done by one person, one group, unilaterally. It has been done as a cooperation between drivers, operations, IE and other functions. The book says IE standard practice manual because IE is responsible for maintaining the methods.

There are two versions of the 340 methods. One with EDD and one without. I read through them again last night. Its hard to find anything wrong or controversial in there.

I think we all (IE, operators, and drivers) did a great job in creating this manual. Maybe we should just accept that sometimes the process works.

P-Man

tourists24

I find this thread very interesting. We cannot even agree that the 340 methods are excellent and should be followed.

On previous assignments to corporate, I wrote some methods. I know many others that also wrote methods.

Its never been done by one person, one group, unilaterally. It has been done as a cooperation between drivers, operations, IE and other functions. The book says IE standard practice manual because IE is responsible for maintaining the methods.

There are two versions of the 340 methods. One with EDD and one without. I read through them again last night. Its hard to find anything wrong or controversial in there.

I think we all (IE, operators, and drivers) did a great job in creating this manual. Maybe we should just accept that sometimes the process works.

P-Man
I dont think the problem lies with the methods being bad.... it's like anything else with UPS; management (operations) wants it both ways. They are told everyone has to follow all methods AND production has to get better. I know you live by those numbers but drivers deal with the reality that the two dont always match. I cant speak for the rest of the world but in my center there are a VERY select few that run scratch. At least two thirds dont cut it anywhere close. Pressure is then put on mgt and then the rest runs downhill. You then have a choice. Put up with the crap or cut corners to make the numbers look good

Omega man

Wrong!!! From what I have been told from many sups and managers I have had. Noboby wrote down mwthods after observing drivers. The methods were suggestions that the drivers submitted.

Soggy cornflakes this morning? Can't you be civil? I suppose you believe everything "sups and managers" have told you.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

P-Man

p-man, what are the main differences between the two versions of the books???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I dont think drivers have any problems with the methods, but the problem lies in the numbers.When you loose time 2 to 3 times a year and nobody in the center can tell you why, then there is a problem. Now with the economy, and time being lost it doesnt take much to realize that somethings going on. Good solid drivers are being harassed right now..drivers who would never of had a problem a year or two ago.

pretzel_man

p-man, what are the main differences between the two versions of the books???

One is the 340-e methods. Its for EDD.

It talks about getting EDD. How to record a stop if you have EDD.

I think its a good thing that they created two versions.

I encourage everyone to read the methods. I see nothing in there that causes extra time.

P-Man

Soggy cornflakes this morning? Can't you be civil? I suppose you believe everything "sups and managers" have told you.

Actually it was Rice Chex! So, when you tell someone something don't you expect them to believe you? Or are you just known to sling the bs so nobody believes you?

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
One is the 340-e methods. Its for EDD.

It talks about getting EDD. How to record a stop if you have EDD.

I think its a good thing that they created two versions.

I encourage everyone to read the methods. I see nothing in there that causes extra time.

P-Man
P-Man

I would love to read the 340e methods, considering I never got any training on EDD. :dissapointed: It seems to me though that UPS thinks that the 340 methods are patented and can't be allowed out of the sight of a mgr. for fear someone might steal them. I can't look at them not to mention reading them. Heaven forbid I should ask for a copy for myself. That might be tantamount to thieving. :sick:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
P-Man

I would love to read the 340e methods, considering I never got any training on EDD. :dissapointed: It seems to me though that UPS thinks that the 340 methods are patented and can't be allowed out of the sight of a mgr. for fear someone might steal them. I can't look at them not to mention reading them. Heaven forbid I should ask for a copy for myself. That might be tantamount to thieving. :sick:

yeah dil, they want you to do them(kinda) but they wont give them to you...hmmmm?!?!!?

browniehound

The Pretrip would take twice as long as what we have AM time for. I have a copy of the "340 Methods", but it is from the early 80's when I started driving. I understand it has been updated because of all the technolgy that has happened since.

".

Technology has happened since the early 80's? If the DIAD and Telematics didn't exist along with 1Z tracking numbers, internet tracking, PAS, etc., we would never know it by some of the trucks still in use.

1983 pieces of crap with 450,000 miles on them and the 2 point seat belt . How can you drill seat-belt usage for safety when you deploy vehicles with vital parts of the modern seat-belt missing? Imagine a person's upper body swinging around the cab like a standing punching bag. This is the protection we get from these out-dated seat belts.

In our 'Telematics Seminar' the bulk-head door being closed was a major topic. It was discussed that the driver should close it in a standing position instead of a sitting position as to not to hurt the shoulder.

However, UPS forces us to drive non-power steering vehicles which must put 20 times the stress on our shoulders than sitting and closing the bulk-head door.

Its a preventable injury in the making, yet they continue to deploy these beasts.

This doesn't include the public embarassment of the look, sound, smell, and image of the UPS driver struggling to turn the steering wheel during a 3-point turn in a cul-de-sac.

This is witnessed by normal people, enjoying normal summer activities, at normal evening (7pm) times. We have the adult neighbors chit-chatting, the kids playing kickball or riding bikes, and the puppy dogs being happy where they are. This happy scene is disturbed as soon as I need to turn P1000 #708142 around in their happy cul-de-sac.

A place where all other large vehicles (garbage trucks, moving trucks, Fed-Ex ground trucks, etc) can make it in one turn, we must make a 3-point turn (and draw attention to it because we must beep the horn when we back).

Again, only at UPS.

over9five

Staff member
I have the 340 methods. If any UPSer wants them, PM me your email address. I think it's the one with EDD, but read it and tell me. It's 60 pages, I think.

I'll only send it to people I know are UPS drivers.