340 methods

undies

Following methods, or working safe is a sure way to fatten your check. That plus Orion should make us all a bit richer.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
In the 340 methods, or not, when is the proper time to check your next 8, or 5 or 3 stops. its much harder to remember on Orion, plus you have to remember the addy and the hin. I am seriously asking, when do you look? Cant do it while driving, cant do it on the walk back to the truck, cant have any wasted time between stops, Its all on a report, and just when I ask. I guess you just stand on the porch, complete the sig, or delivery status, and study your diad there?

oldngray

nowhere special
In the 340 methods, or not, when is the proper time to check your next 8, or 5 or 3 stops. its much harder to remember on Orion, plus you have to remember the addy and the hin. I am seriously asking, when do you look? Cant do it while driving, cant do it on the walk back to the truck, cant have any wasted time between stops, Its all on a report, and just when I ask. I guess you just stand on the porch, complete the sig, or delivery status, and study your diad there?

What about the 24 inch selection area?

I guess I dont know what that is since your package may be in the 8000 section. How do you slide it forward when the shelves are packed.
Walk like a penguin.

15g6454656.gif

The one on the right must be a sup.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
30 and 60 went out the door with PAS and EDD.

Our Region President informed us of this nugget in a meeting where he also says we would no longer be trained to make LEFT turns? He was a few pages back on reality. To my knowledge tho the rookies were still being trained on 30/60 after PAS/EDD.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our Region President informed us of this nugget in a meeting where he also says we would no longer be trained to make LEFT turns? He was a few pages back on reality. To my knowledge tho the rookies were still being trained on 30/60 after PAS/EDD.

I have had several annual rides since going on PAS/EDD and never heard a word about 30/60.

MC4YOU2

I have had several annual rides since going on PAS/EDD and never heard a word about 30/60.

I'd agree. No mention here either. Or most any of the other methods either. After they "find" their 8 corrections, it's usually just chit chat about the weather, dispatch, sales leads, late air and monthly safety flavors.

EasyTrucker

Google "the traveling salesman problem", you will see that it is an unsolvable equation. Basically, if you have 10 stops in a town there are 1x2x3x4x5x6x7x8x9x10 different ways to do those stops. No computer in the world can solve this problem, yet Orion is essentially trying to do just that. So UPS is throwing billions of dollars at a problem that can't be solved!?!? Yeah that sounds like them!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Google "the traveling salesman problem", you will see that it is an unsolvable equation. Basically, if you have 10 stops in a town there are 1x2x3x4x5x6x7x8x9x10 different ways to do those stops. No computer in the world can solve this problem, yet Orion is essentially trying to do just that. So UPS is throwing billions of dollars at a problem that can't be solved!?!? Yeah that sounds like them!
The best that math can do on this problem is 85% And that is the absolute best.

Hense, being told to follow ORION at least 85%

That other 15% just does not compute.

Overpaid Union Thug

We heard ups will start disciplining for repeated failure to strictly follow 340 methods. So I guess now since we are human they will build cases to fire whoever they want whenever they want. You didn't bend at the knees that time, you grabbed that strap, oops you missed a handrail. Harass in the name of safety. Hope I can last 15 more years! Wish ups would realize the loads aren't perfect and we aren't robots.

It is impossible to know, let alone follow, all of the methods. What I do is try and concentrate on safety related methods and methods that make my day go smoother. The rest are more or less arbitrary and management tends to avoid putting emphasis on them anyway.

The best way to combat this is for every steward in every center to ask for copies of the methods for each driver. Then tell the drivers to follow as many methods as they can throughout the day. Once each center's numbers are shot to hell management will re-think their position on using the methods as harassment.

Plus, with ORION there are already some conflicting instructions/opinions on the methods. So that makes things interesting.

Mr.Golden

It is impossible to know, let alone follow, all of the methods.

Plus, with ORION there are already some conflicting instructions/opinions on the methods. So that makes things interesting.

Following the 340 methods 85%, following Orion 85% and following the sup instructions 85%. Wonder what else can we do 85%?

TurboSnail

EDD, Orion, 340 Methods, safety tips... It doesn't matter what the flavor of the day is. Do what they want you to do, the way they want you to do it and you will have no problems on paper for mgmt to focus on. My Orion trace is 95% or better every day. Telematics "safety items" are clean. Let them scour records and waste time searching for something. Most important is you will have no problem with the inflated dollar sign you see on the piece of paper you receive at the end of the week! Working the way management wants ALWAYS takes longer. Don't take shortcuts to fix problems. Follow Orion 100%. Who cares if it's not the best way! Orion expectations are never accurate, my last stop it usually an hour and a half later then they've planned. Production issues means on road observations and harassment. If they see safety concerns they will use safety for discipline. I've survived 15 years doing the job they way they want me to, unfortunately not at the speed they want (never exceed a posted speed limit). Oh well... Fair days work for a fair days pay. The day will come for an OJS ride to determine a fair day and hold you to a demonstrated performance level so start practicing for that "Special Day" to cover your ass. Then you will be left alone... At least for one year!

That's exactly what they are doing on each driver. 3 day "lock in rides". And sup has stated that every driver in center will scratch everyday or will get disciplined.

MC4YOU2

That's exactly what they are doing on each driver. 3 day "lock in rides". And sup has stated that every driver in center will scratch everyday or will get disciplined.

This B.S.threat comes around periodically. The only standard that you can be held to is the one that you set for yourself.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Following the 340 methods 85%, following Orion 85% and following the sup instructions 85%. Wonder what else can we do 85%?
Show up for work 85% of the time.

Deliver 85% of your airs on time.

Deliver 85% of your packages to the right address.

Make 85% of your pickups on time.