350 Pieces on a 6 size car?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The P600s were horrible. Manual steering and brakes, wooden shelves, and horrible shifters. I was once following one back to the Hub and watched it go completely airborne. The driver was getting off I-20 at the Fulton Industrial Blvd. exit to go to the first Atlanta Hub. His brakes went out so he goes into the grass trying to stop. He hit a little hill and I saw daylight under all six tires. Somehow he kept it straight when he returned to earth and geared down or something to finally stop it. I imagined he had to clean his pants out after that. That image of a flying package car will be stuck in my mind forever.

sox

Oh yes. I drove one that didn't even have reverse lights. Those were nasty little beasts to drive, the brakes would lock up with even the lightest touch of the pedal, and the BH door was just about 1/2" shorter than I was, perfect for whacking my head on every time I forgot to duck.

rod

Retired 22 years
The P600s were horrible. Manual steering and brakes, wooden shelves, and horrible shifters. I was once following one back to the Hub and watched it go completely airborne. The driver was getting off I-20 at the Fulton Industrial Blvd. exit to go to the first Atlanta Hub. His brakes went out so he goes into the grass trying to stop. He hit a little hill and I saw daylight under all six tires. Somehow he kept it straight when he returned to earth and geared down or something to finally stop it. I imagined he had to clean his pants out after that. That image of a flying package car will be stuck in my mind forever.

I saw a P-600 in 1971 when North and South Dakota first opened up that had been converted to a diesel engine. A guy would drive it pulling another gas powered P-600 with a tow bar. It apparently was some SD centers feeder rig. I was asked to move it one night. The dash had a least dozen toggle switches on it--- all apparently hooked up to nothing.

rod

Retired 22 years
Drivers had to check the oil as part of their pre trip but the car wash would also check and add oil overnight along with washing and fueling all the package cars.

I drove a P-800 for many years that I had to add 2-3 quarts of oil to every day.

doodoobrwn

If truck gets over loaded . Just load the extras to the truck next to it. Leave a sticky note on drivers window. That way he knows .

I don't recall but its some place in the southern supplement that can do this.
Doesn't work when your dispatcher gives you an extra car that goes on a completely different route

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Ahh the old p 800. You practically were sitting out side of the car and the shifter was almost near the passenger door! Good luck if you were 6' tall like me and had to bend over to go in bulk door and e brake was against your knee !!

wayfair

swollen member
Took my driver's test in the P600... couldn't get thru an intersection in 1st gear, so you had to slam shift into second before you started turning.

My old route had a unleaded, non power steering p800. The worst truck ever until my current route which started with a converted CNG, non power steering p1000... felt like climbing a rope all day long.

EvanStone

grindin
You consider that piddly lil number a peak number? That's my average daily number for a slow day. During peak I will have around 2000 on my four cars.

If they keep me in the same spot. I've got 12 drivers fighting over whose cars I should load. Apparently common sense is in short supply when it comes to loading trucks.

badass.jpg