That's the number of steps my pedometer said I took today from the time I reached my first stop to the time I completed my last stop. I had always wondered how far we walked on an average day, and thought a cheap little pedometer giving me the number of steps would be an interesting statistic. Then I noticed on the drive back to the building(30 minutes), an additional 1,000 steps were added. Just working the pedals in the truck and the bouncing of the seat ad to the total. The aforementioned number is now bogus. Tomorrow I'll just count the number of steps to and from an average stop and multiply that by the number of stops. Some stops have long driveways, others short. It will just be an average.
I wonder if getting a high dollar pedometer would make a difference? The one I bought was a real cheap thing.
Has anyone else ever done this? What were the results?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I will measure long driveways by counting paces. Everytime my right heel hits level ground, thats five feet. Multiply and figure out how far I walk. I used to do this when I went back packing or orienteering too. This gives a fairly accurate measure of distance.

DS

Fenderbender
Interesting stuff.I found this at thewalkinggate.com
How far is 10,000 steps anyway? The average person's stride length is approximately 2.5 feet long. That means it takes just over 2,000 steps to walk one mile, and 10,000 steps is close to 5 miles.
So you walked almost 40 miles?

How far is 10,000 steps anyway? The average person's stride length is approximately 2.5 feet long. That means it takes just over 2,000 steps to walk one mile, and 10,000 steps is close to 5 miles.
No. As I pointed out in my post, those numbers are bogus due to the cheap pedometer I bought.

UPSer34

dude...you really gotta work on your math...

rod

Retired 22 years
I once registered 27,000 steps while mowing my yard-------------------------------trouble is I was on my garden tractor. Pedometers for the most part are usless unless you are doing absolutely nothing but walking and even then they aren't real accurate.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That's the number of steps my pedometer said I took today from the time I reached my first stop to the time I completed my last stop. I had always wondered how far we walked on an average day, and thought a cheap little pedometer giving me the number of steps would be an interesting statistic. Then I noticed on the drive back to the building(30 minutes), an additional 1,000 steps were added. Just working the pedals in the truck and the bouncing of the seat ad to the total. The aforementioned number is now bogus. Tomorrow I'll just count the number of steps to and from an average stop and multiply that by the number of stops. Some stops have long driveways, others short. It will just be an average.
I wonder if getting a high dollar pedometer would make a difference? The one I bought was a real cheap thing.
Has anyone else ever done this? What were the results?
I wore my Garmin 405 for the day once. I started it when I left the building and shut it off at lunch time. Lunch, btw, was at 14:50. At this time I subtracted the pkg car miles from total miles on the watch it was 5 miles I had walked, by 14:50. Considering I usually work till about 18:30, I'd say I walk about 7-8 miles here at work, per day.