39:4-67 Disqualifies me from driving?

If literature, comprehension and intelligence were considered disqualifying reasons.... oh boy! Anyway, to put it simply (for most of you, simple is so necessary), UPS would be hiring drivers with good driving records, despite a silly issue like this. They'd be in a lot of trouble otherwise.

I took a turn on a very dark and empty street with a cop behind me, in the wee hours and my back tires hit the yellow line. My only ticket in ten years, and (a lot) of you think it's a good enough reason to disqualify a casual driver? Sad sad sad. Why is my opinion a qualified one? Because this would have been my second season as a casual and by far, the nicest and most intelligent people in my building were the porters. This was true as a general rule, and yeah, there were exception, but not too many.

It sucks but it is what it is. Not the end of the world for me but you have to wake up in the same shoes each day, no way to get disqualified from your sorry life.

You CAN take it as well as you dish it... After all, you are UPS drivers.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If literature, comprehension and intelligence were considered disqualifying reasons.... oh boy! Anyway, to put it simply (for most of you, simple is so necessary), UPS would be hiring drivers with good driving records, despite a silly issue like this. They'd be in a lot of trouble otherwise.

I took a turn on a very dark and empty street with a cop behind me, in the wee hours and my back tires hit the yellow line. My only ticket in ten years, and (a lot) of you think it's a good enough reason to disqualify a casual driver? Sad sad sad.
They do it because it shows you are a safe driver. If you can't operate your own vehicle within the law, why would they expect you to operate their vehicle in a safe manner?
Why is my opinion a qualified one? Because this would have been my second season as a casual and by far, the nicest and most intelligent people in my building were the porters. This was true as a general rule, and yeah, there were exception, but not too many.
Your opinion as an off the street seasonal means nothing to someone who has done the job for 30 years. I drove around for a month too. Nobody cares.
It sucks but it is what it is. Not the end of the world for me but you have to wake up in the same shoes each day, no way to get disqualified from your sorry life.

A sorry life is losing a job because you can't drive like a responsible adult...

MendozaJ

I took a turn on a very dark and empty street with a cop behind me, in the wee hours and my back tires hit the yellow line. My only ticket in ten years, and (a lot) of you think it's a good enough reason to disqualify a casual driver? Sad sad sad. Why is my opinion a qualified one? Because this would have been my second season as a casual and by far, the nicest and most intelligent people in my building were the porters. This was true as a general rule, and yeah, there were exception, but not too many.

I guess he didn't want to join our stinking club anyway.

Box Ox

if New Jersey considers this a parking ticket, why doesn't UPS?

Because most people are only affected by the fine/court costs since it doesn't hit insurance and they don't drive for a living. But it is still technically/legally a moving violation that won't fly when HR pulls your report.

iowa boy

Exactly why? I know everyone has their own standards and rules but if New Jersey considers this a parking ticket, why doesn't UPS?

UPS sets the rules for becoming a driver, not the state of New Jersey.

UPS has decided that any ticket you receive that shows on your driving record counts as a violation, even if its a non moving violation.

And since you are a seasonal driver, you have nothing to use for an argument to fight this, as UPS doesn't care.

How can you vaguely forget that ticket ?? Exactly what did you do !! It will help the BC jury decide !!!
200w.gif

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

UPS has decided that any ticket you receive that shows on your driving record counts as a violation, even if its a non moving violation.

And since you are a seasonal driver, you have nothing to use for an argument to fight this, as UPS doesn't care.
image.jpg

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

Non moving violations, such as seatbelt , etc do not count against you.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

If HR disqualified you than you have no recourse, sucks, but it is what it is..Gotta move on man

iowa boy

Non moving violations, such as seatbelt , etc do not count against you.

I received a seat belt ticket and said ticket kept me from driving for six months until it passed the one year mark. Trust me I speak from experience on this one. I was told no tickets other than parking tickets for the year before you try and drive.

A seat belt ticket in Iowa is considered a non-moving violation and doesn't count against you, but UPS still counts it as a violation.

You may disagree with me but I know what I was told by our HR person.

iowa boy

Even a red light camera ticket or a speed camera ticket are non-moving violations in Iowa, but still count against you in the eyes of UPS.

P

pickup

I still never figured out if the original poster was talking about casual package car driving or feeder driving.

mrwiliker

If I attended traffic school a ticket I got should be masked from my driving record. Anyone know if this is right? My ticket was for crossing two sets of double yellow lines that had a space of more than 2 ft seperating them. I was trying to go air driving.

newfie

Was hoping for some feedback, guys.... I was supposed to start driving for my second casual season and I was told by the HR rep that I was not eligible because of a violation I received earlier this year. I'm confused between a non-moving violation and a no-points moving violation. Which do I have? There's very little correct info online.... Just opinions and people saying they hope they are offered that plea option.

39:4-67 - Obstructing passage of vehicles.

Does this in fact disqualify me from driving as a casual driver this season?

I vaguely recall the circumstances but I believe I took this plea to avoid going to trial. I was going to fight the ticket but it was worth it for me to pay $54 with no points or insurance surcharge instead of spending a day in court. If this trips me up and disqualifies me, I wonder if there's a way to go back to court and amend it to something else.

Please help, I'm very upset.
David

you plead guilty to a moving violation? your insurance must have also gone up? cheaper to spend the 54 bucks then accept guilt.

newfie

I took a turn on a very dark and empty street with a cop behind me, in the wee hours and my back tires hit the yellow line. .

is it possible your violation was worse then you thought? you cant get people pulled over for blatant bad driving habits in todays world much less what you describe.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I attended traffic school a ticket I got should be masked from my driving record. Anyone know if this is right? My ticket was for crossing two sets of double yellow lines that had a space of more than 2 ft seperating them. I was trying to go air driving.

I received a speeding ticket 10 years or so ago, went to defensive driving school and the 4 points were removed from my license.

Go to your state DMV website and request an online version of your license abstract. NY charges $7 for this service. I do it once a year just to make sure that my license is still clean.

Nevermore1

I've read all these posts and while I don't work for UPS (husband does) I did drive school busses for years. I can tell you with certainty that what the OP did would have disqualified him from driving a bus as well in most jurisdictions if it happened any time prior to 5 years before his application. The thought process they use for school busses is that your rear may have "slightly gone over the double yellow (or over the corner of the curb, etc)" but someone also could have been standing there and is now hit by you. To them it shows that you don't have proper control of your vehicle and the liability for them is too high. I've also seen many trainees get dismissed over this same thing on the "country" roads test when they can't keep the rear of the bus from touching/going over the double yellow on extremely winding and hilly roads with no shoulders.

One thing they would always tell us, especially when drivers were first hired, "there is no more paying your ticket online so you don't have to go to court, now you go to court and beg if you have to or lose your job"