396 meeting Sunday June 2, 2013

undies

I only stayed for the conversation about healthcare. They let us know what happened during negotiations and why we ended up having to make concessions in our health benefits. Basically, UPS played a smart game and forced the central states and the west against each other. We didn't want to change our benefits but the central states didn't back us on keeping our superior benefits. So UPS put the change into the master knowing that the majority wouldn't care if we got brought down to their health coverage. There's a lot more than that but it's a pretty basic description from what I understood. By standing our ground we were able to force UPS to enhance the CSHW plan that we would be going into, teamcare. We also managed to allow a few moths to find our own plan away from the CSHW plan that would be run by the west and not the central states.
All in all, UPS not the teamsters screwed us. I still don't like it but I can't say that I'll still be voting no.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hardly. More like 200, at least. There were plenty of people outside listening on the speaker system as well. There was 1 member from another local making statments and asking questions that didn't even make sense. He appeared to be a TDU member attempting to disrupt the meeting. When confronted and asked to be respectful of how 396 runs it's meetings he was told "If you don't like how we run our meetings then the exit is right over there." Seemed fair enough to me as he was taking time away from my fellow 396 members who had serious concerns.

The tossing out of this member was useless and disrespectful... The member was in fact a teamster UPS driver out of anaheim who attended our meeting because he couldnt make his meeting the following saturday. This member did ask some weird questions, but that is the right of all members. Throwing him out was pointless and nothing more than a dog and pony show for Ron and Jay.

The member did nothing wrong other than showing up to local 396's meeting.

The real problem was the agents in the front doing the blue card check in NOT DOING their job in identifying outside members. The second problem was Ron Herreras "haste" to get off the podium and turn the meeting over to Brother Marshall instead of doing the required statement that asks all NON members of local 396 to identify themselves before speaking.

Instead, Ron attempted to show how tough he was by getting Brother Jay involved and tossing the guy out. Then, they both give a self serving statement about TDU and how "THEY" would be written about in the next TDU rag.

"WE" the members dont care about crap like that. maybe the guy was a TDU member, who cares? What difference did it make. The guy had UPS questions and he is a UPS driver out of anaheim.

I thought it could have been handled more professionally by RON quietly walking up to the guy and asking him to step aside for a minute and explain the rules to him, rather than attempting to get the crowd fired up over his ejection. There was no need for the theatrics.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hardly. More like 200, at least. There were plenty of people outside listening on the speaker system as well. There was 1 member from another local making statments and asking questions that didn't even make sense. He appeared to be a TDU member attempting to disrupt the meeting. When confronted and asked to be respectful of how 396 runs it's meetings he was told "If you don't like how we run our meetings then the exit is right over there." Seemed fair enough to me as he was taking time away from my fellow 396 members who had serious concerns.

Sorry brother, there was not 200 members there. Yes, under a hundred, but not more. Outside or inside, this was a weak attendance. Could have been 70 or 80 , who knows. The lot was still 1/3 empty when the meeting started and when I walked out, it was near empty. You have to EXCLUDE the business agents, wives and such who are NOT a part of the rank and file who were in attendance. I think that is where you are interpreting a larger attendance.

Either way, the membership failed to get involved and that is just sad.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Nice job reporting on the meeting, TOS. Well done!

What I posted is dead on accurate. I am sure Brother Evil, who was there would call me out, if I misquoted or misrepresented any details. We came prepared for a blowout of H, but as I said, he yielded the meeting right away and avoided the confrontation that awaited him.

Brother Marshall was upfront and himself calling the T.A. "chitty" - quote.

No matter how he covered the details, he prefaced everything by saying it was "weaker" ..."concession"... "chitty".... "not fair"... etc etc etc... He was clear and informative. It wasnt what we all wanted to hear, but it was the truth and that pill is hard to swallow.

Brother Marshall slammed the international on its negotiating tactics, and whether true or not, he said it publicly.

I didnt "ADD" anything other than what was covered in the meeting. Nobody stuck around to discuss the remainder of the contract, so theres nothing really to discuss about that.

Peace

TOS

Inthegame

70 people??? Sounds like nobody cares over there. The TA will pass and H has no worries about keeping his job.

TOS had me expecting some huge blowout.
Qui tacet consentit...L396 will accept this TA. TOS and others are reading their own posts and convincing themselves of their merit.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
TOS your opinon and perspective is appreciated. I can personally assure you that Andy M is a standup guy & if anyone can come up with a better plan by Nov 1st he would be the man to do it. Sounds like it was a tough room but I'm glad your Local was respectful.

fastlearner

Your wrong, Carey wouldn't put up with this. If you don't like it then vote no. Why do you this they play the game? Things happen that can change the outcome. Do athletes give up? Does the military give? They lay down their lives for these freedoms and you want to roll over and play dead. Your no vote will show you dont like it. What ever happens remember this come local election time and vote these guys out.

fastlearner

Stink obviously doesn't understand english or comprehending what was asked was over his head. He has the mob mentality, anything he doesn't like or understand is TDU. Look at his Icon that looks like something TDU wold use to stir up trouble. Is that why you have that icon stink? To stir up trouble? Did you ask any questions at the meeting? Do you understand the contract, completely? Then who are you to be talking down to people? Are you an internet bully?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Stink obviously doesn't understand english or comprehending what was asked was over his head. He has the mob mentality, anything he doesn't like or understand is TDU. Look at his Icon that looks like something TDU wold use to stir up trouble. Is that why you have that icon stink? To stir up trouble? Did you ask any questions at the meeting? Do you understand the contract, completely? Then who are you to be talking down to people? Are you an internet bully?

Welcome to the party, pal. I've been saying this about Stink and 407 for a few months now.
I've actually been a long time follower on BC for years. Watching Stink and 407 attact TDU, and bully members got me off my butt to fight back.

fastlearner

What that shows me is that a nobody can expose this contract for what it is, nothing. Heres a guy, Andy M, whiz kid, who at the end of the day says its all we got. Wrong thats all you got now get up go in there and get more get us what we earned. What we earned was more than a 2% raise and a wish list for healthcare. The retirees earn more than a visit to the proctologist and three pats on the back after walking that strike in '97. Why is the IBT doing UPS's dirty work?

Inthegame

What that shows me is that a nobody can expose this contract for what it is, nothing. Heres a guy, Andy M, whiz kid, who at the end of the day says its all we got. Wrong thats all you got now get up go in there and get more get us what we earned. What we earned was more than a 2% raise and a wish list for healthcare. The retirees earn more than a visit to the proctologist and three pats on the back after walking that strike in '97. Why ist the IBT doing UPS's dirty work?
Spoken from one who hasn't even negotiated a decent cell phone contract...OH WAIT, TDU will show us the way to happiness!!!

stink219

Understand English? Look at the structure of your first sentence.
Do I understand the contract? Of course. That's why I'm not chicken ***** to vote yes. I've had numerous meetings with my BA and other stewards of how we will approach the new language (which every local should be doing). I've realized, what people ask on here is not what they really mean so they can skate and twist if they do not like the answer. It's never one clear question. It's one question asked 65 ways on a Sunday.
As far as my meeting, all my questions were answered prior. My BA is very engaged. I had initial 9.5 concerns. We addressed them, came up with a plan and will put them into action.

stink219

Welcome to the party, pal. I've been saying this about Stink and 407 for a few months now.
I've actually been a long time follower on BC for years. Watching Stink and 407 attact TDU, and bully members got me off my butt to fight back.
You couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag. We don't attack. Always check to see who starts a fight. Bully members? I don't think so. Realbrown you know your a TDU troll. Your gonna come out here and play good guy? Lol.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
TOS your opinon and perspective is appreciated. I can personally assure you that Andy M is a standup guy & if anyone can come up with a better plan by Nov 1st he would be the man to do it. Sounds like it was a tough room but I'm glad your Local was respectful.

Brother 104,

I have known Andy since he was a business agent back in 1997 during the strike. I agree, he is a stand up guy, and at our meeting, he was "more than" candid about our situation out here in the west. As I said earlier, there was no need for shouting and such, as he was "honest" about all issues, and even when pressed, he agreed with the members that "certain" language was bad and could spell disaster down the road.

I dont want to leave the impression that he was anything but upfront. It may not have been what we wanted to hear, but he was upfront about it. While, i dont believe that "he" and the west will be able to create such a plan, even if "equal" to the central states, cause, as i stated in ALL of my posts on the subject and one that Andy himself confirms, the only thing the West has to do is "MATCH" the central states plan and there is NO directive to "match" our current benefits.

The West's only obligation is to match the C6 plan as submitted to us so far, so for all practical purposes, we are, in fact, voting to ACCEPT the terms of the C6 plan.

All the talk about "finding" a better plan, is just that, talk. November 1st will roll around and we will be stuck in the central states C6 plan no matter what. Now, Andy did mention, that the "enhancements" to those 140,000 members being transitioned into the C6 plan DID NOT APPLY to those already in the plan. His exact words were , and I quote:

"those central states locals didnt back us, so they can phuque off on the enhancements" - quote Andy M.

"if they dont like it, then tough chitt" - quote Andy M.

I have "heard" otherwise from members already in the central states, so I am curious what those in the central states say now, hearing this.

I will not say that Andy will not try, I give him the benefit of the doubt, but I do suspect that the international is making so hard on him, that he will never realize his goals.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Spoken from one who hasn't even negotiated a decent cell phone contract...OH WAIT, TDU will show us the way to happiness!!!

Another yes vote troll swimming in the waters. INTHEGAME, this is a local 396 thread. You want to throw your hat into the ring, then say something about this contract that works for you. We'll go from there.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Understand English? Look at the structure of your first sentence.
Do I understand the contract? Of course. That's why I'm not chicken ***** to vote yes. I've had numerous meetings with my BA and other stewards of how we will approach the new language (which every local should be doing). I've realized, what people ask on here is not what they really mean so they can skate and twist if they do not like the answer. It's never one clear question. It's one question asked 65 ways on a Sunday.
As far as my meeting, all my questions were answered prior. My BA is very engaged. I had initial 9.5 concerns. We addressed them, came up with a plan and will put them into action.

YOU are the last person who can "EXPLAIN" anything on this site. Youve been asked several times, and all you can come back with are the talking points given to you by your BA who you seem to be in love with. Why does the rest of the country have a problem with this contract except you and a few friends?

Is the rest of dues paying teamsters just stupid? Or Are you the stupid one unwilling to listen?

Peace

TOS

T.O.S. has 'confirmation bias'. We were at the same meeting and I believe a lot of information given was lost on him. Definition below...

Confirmation bias
is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. People exhibiting confirmation bias give preference to sources of information that affirm their preexisting beliefs. They also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

I'm voting yes.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
On a different note. The company layed its cards on the table in the last contract. The union failed to react to it. The company wanted $750.00 a month from retirees in 2008 and in the meantime, the international did nothing to prepare for this health care battle in 8 years. Yes, in 2008. the union locked the company into $50 bucks a month for retirees, but today, they gave up more than HALF of what the company sought in 2008.

Husband and Wife will pay $400.00 a month under the new UPS plan.

How did the international not see this coming? ON this issue, they really let down our retirees. Thats the real shame.

Peace

TOS

dqs95124

stop putting the guy down for valid questions. It sucks for us on the west. we know it. ignore the :censored2: bags and get everybody to vote.. Yes or no vote.. if it's voted down. they have to come back to the table with a better agreement. It's so close to when they start planning peak. Yes biz starts ordering in aug and sep. for the holiday's. alot cheaper. I know..