3rd Day - UPS Pre-Sort - What I've Learned

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I come in 1/2 hour earlier than the loaders and I leave roughly 1/2 hour later than the loaders. I no longer bust my arse everyday dealing with packages. Instead I bust my arse everyday with paperwork and supervision.
-I make about 10x what I made as a loader for roughly the same hours.
-Bonuses every quarter.
-Christmas bonus.
-Benefits
-Stock Option

Not that bad of a deal!

Whoa, you make $8000 a month? Sign me up.:biting:

I come in 1/2 hour earlier than the loaders and I leave roughly 1/2 hour later than the loaders. I no longer bust my arse everyday dealing with packages. Instead I bust my arse everyday with paperwork and supervision.
-Bonuses every quarter.
-Christmas bonus.
-Benefits
-Stock Option

Not that bad of a deal!

Bull, pt supes don't get quarterly bonuses or stock options.

They do get maybe 15-25% more in pay to start. 1/2 month x-mas bonus, benefits, and 401k

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

They do get maybe 15-25% more in pay to start. 1/2 month x-mas bonus, benefits, and 401k

Maybe where you are but I get the following:
-Bonuses every quarter - 4x per year.
-Christmas bonus (1/2 month pay - one extra check based on your salary)
-Benefits
-401K - Optional but available
-Stock Option - optional but available

steeltoe

-Benefits

The original poster should do the math, just as I did. Storm723, you are not being truthful. You are not making 10X the money you made as a loader. That would put you at roughly $85.00 to $120.00 per hour depending on how much time you had as a loader. As for your health insurance, it is no longer free. Management pays for their health insurance as well as their dependents. Bargaining unit employees do not pay a premium for themselves nor their dependents. You do have a 401K, but no pension. 1/2 month of of pay at Christmas for a an additional full months worth of work. What a deal. I assume you do not have another job, because you would not be able to work it during peak season. I could be wrong on all the management benefits, becuase I am not a member of management, but I do know for a fact that you do not make 10x the hourly rate with your salary. That is crazy talk.

Th original poster, as well as all of us can see that you are not being truthful. I am not knocking the management route, but you should tell the truth to someone, before you encourage them to make such a decision.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

The original poster should do the math, just as I did. Storm723, you are not being truthful. You are not making 10X the money you made as a loader. That would put you at roughly $85.00 to $120.00 per hour depending on how much time you had as a loader. As for your health insurance, it is no longer free. Management pays for their health insurance as well as their dependents. Bargaining unit employees do not pay a premium for themselves nor their dependents. You do have a 401K, but no pension. 1/2 month of of pay at Christmas for a an additional full months worth of work. What a deal. I assume you do not have another job, because you would not be able to work it during peak season. I could be wrong on all the management benefits, becuase I am not a member of management, but I do know for a fact that you do not make 10x the hourly rate with your salary. That is crazy talk.

Th original poster, as well as all of us can see that you are not being truthful. I am not knocking the management route, but you should tell the truth to someone, before you encourage them to make such a decision.

If UPS was handing out 100 bucks an hour for a part-time supervisor position, you would think that there'd be huge demand for those jobs. :happy-very: In our hub hiring, within a job fair locally, they're hiring for PT supervisor positions solely and still unable to get enough of them despite this.

In 2004, PT sups were being hired in ENE district making around 1500-1700/mo, before taxes insurance and etc. This is for about average 25 hours a week work.

I would be surprised if that value (averaged out) was over $2,200 at this point. My guess is right around $2,000 depending on exp , background etc. Again, before deductions.

gostillerz

PT supe start is still $1500 here. double what I make as hourly, but not worth it in the long run.

Supes aren't union right? From what I've learned (at most places), management jobs suck. You get a extra pay, but have to put up with much so much more crap it negates the extra pay. I'd rather come home with a sore body, than a fried brain. Our center manager arrives at 3:30am, and leaves at 5:30pm every day. I feel bad for the guy.

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
Don't feel bad for them. They are the fools that took the job. They knew exactly what they were getting themselves into. I have no pity for sups.

bellesotico

BOXstar
You made a fabulous choice to come to UPS. It is a very positive work environment, and if you work hard..it is noted AND appriciated. UPS choses to always support the employees FIRST..and, that alone, has made all the difference in my 3 years of employment.

I do believe you wanted someone to lie to you.:wink2:

LMAO!!!!

bellesotico

BOXstar
Supes aren't union right? From what I've learned (at most places), management jobs suck. You get a extra pay, but have to put up with much so much more crap it negates the extra pay. I'd rather come home with a sore body, than a fried brain. Our center manager arrives at 3:30am, and leaves at 5:30pm every day. I feel bad for the guy.

Dont. Trust me..he's not feeling bad for you while he's enjoying that six figure income.

helenofcalifornia

I think that is what he meant. If he is making 10 times his part time salary then wouldn't that be 10 times his weekly salary of $180-200? Which would place him in the $1800-2000 monthly range. If any part time sup made $9000 a month, they wouldn't have any problems filling the PT sup jobs.

bellesotico

BOXstar
I don't know about everywhere else, but I know at our center crossing over to the darkside also means losing job security. If they mess up..they go bye bye.

atatbl

What are you talking about? It's how they sucker us in! You might want to know what you are talking about before you tell us what we receive. We get 5 bonuses a year. 4 quarterly (vary from $400-$1000 pre-taxes) and a Christmas bonus (half a months salary paid in the second week of Dec every year).

Really? I don't get a discount on my stock like the others? See, here's the funny thing... there is this crazy company impersonating a brokerage firm that keeps sending me information about the UPS stock I own..... Maybe you are right though..... I will "call them out" for being liars.

LOL, the funny part is, if I did I would look like you just did.

P.S.- Storm, it is NOT just in our divisions. It is UPS wide. All PT sups get this. Even dispatch sups get it, and they don't really supervise others. 1989 just wanted to inform you that he knows more about being a PT sup than PT sups do... you know how that goes. :dissapointed:

atatbl

He's not being truthful? Get a clue. You are telling people things that are made up. You clearly have NO IDEA how our benefits work. A full months extra work compared to an hourly? Tell me this: how many weeks of vacation does a sup get in his/her first five years? Bonus question, how many discretionary days does he/she get? Wait a minute.... I know the answer to that.... I also know how many days of vacation an hourly gets in their first five years.... hmmmm..... Maybe if you did, you would realize how ridiculous your statements are.

You want our hourly pay breakdown compared to our hourly counterparts? Clearly, you must know the formula because you obviously know more about this than us. Since a PT sup's salary varies somewhat drastically from district to district, let's say he/she makes $1500/month. How long would it have taken that sup to progress to that rate in the union? I can't wait to hear your fictitious and asinine answer... this will be hilarious. (Before you make a stupid point about the extra 2.5 hours worked by a PT sup in the week compared to other hourlies, remember it is an hourly breakdown.... figured someone with your abilities to rationalize a situation might need that pointer.)

Here's an idea. How about you stop calling him a liar when you don't even know what our benefits are. Sound good?

Listen, our benefits (pt, ft sups, managers, etc etc) work on a credit system. Just so you know, I for one, make money on my health benefits. I took option 1 (best health benefits, but CAN be a waste of money) and still had flex credits left over! You know what that means? Before you make up something that isn't true, let me tell you. I make money on my benefits. Extra credits are paid out prorated. If you don't have kids, you will probably make money on your benefits as a PT sup. Again, this is the system that ALL PT sups use. It does not matter what division, district, or region. I do not know a PT sup that pays in more than $20/month on health care.

BTW, do union employees get full legal coverage for $1.50/month? I don't remember if UPS covered that when I was an hourly.

Last edited:
B

But Benefits Are Great

...PS to the author: if you hold college degree(s), have so much management exp, etc why did you come to UPS? If you're struggling after 3 days this probably isn't the right place for you. If you put in your letter to become part-time supervisor, I think you'll be surprised how little money there is in relation to hours worked and responsibility.

Excellent question - I've been self-employed since I was 13 years old - successfully actually. Many, many people I believe have been forced into a change (divorce, family health issues, business down-turn, no longer wanting to run the whole show - I was hit by all of them.

I'm not struggling at all with the job itself, I'm struggling with the concept, or difference, between what I expected and what I see.

I've talked to EVERYONE that will talk with me (Note - although I say "good morning" to everyone - it's just my nature - 90% of the drivers don't even reply - 50% don't even look in my direction) I ask them what they think of UPS, their job, their prospects. Their eyes glaze over and they say "...but the benefits are great..."

Regarding the PT Supervisor position, I'm told by my HR manager that it is something to look forward to for $2 more per hour. The 10X figure must be a regional thing.

drewed

Shankman
This is your third day. I can tell you driving...you have to get on the list. But I believe you have to be there six months b4 you can do that. PT Sup positions come around pretty often...get your foot in the door...show them what and if your capable of doing the work and submit your "Letter of Intent" within the first month. They will tell you you have to wait six months to do that too....however I am living proof..that simply is not true!

OBTW- They are allowing you (I assume) to unload the trucks at your pace..it was your first day doing that...there is a time limit BTW. That will change.:wink2:
A lot of FT sups wont pass you on your packet if you dont have an established work hisotry at UPS by all means wait till your senority plus youll know the lay of the land better than trying to learn UPS way of doing things for both hrlys and managment. PT sups also have a quicker foot in the door to driving bc every 6th driver is a pt sup or hired off street.
from the training point youre working in a center and they dont require the training you normally would in a hub BUT you should have gotten basic package handling (6 sided checks, hand to surface ect) id ask your sup if there is any addt'l training you can do

drewed

Shankman
-Benefits

-so as a loader i made max 140 a week, so 10x that would be 1040 which would be over 50k a yr which would be more then my ft makes? smells fishy to me....
-dont promise bonuses you dont sign the check for.
-every does get the 1/2 month xmas bonus
-401k is optional for union employees too
-stock DISCOUNTS are available to ALL UPS employees

IDoLessWorkThanMost

He's not being truthful? Get a clue. You are telling people things that are made up. You clearly have NO IDEA how our benefits work. A full months extra work compared to an hourly? Tell me this: how many weeks of vacation does a sup get in his/her first five years? Bonus question, how many discretionary days does he/she get? Wait a minute.... I know the answer to that.... I also know how many days of vacation an hourly gets in their first five years.... hmmmm..... Maybe if you did, you would realize how ridiculous your statements are.

You want our hourly pay breakdown compared to our hourly counterparts? Clearly, you must know the formula because you obviously know more about this than us. Since a PT sup's salary varies somewhat drastically from district to district, let's say he/she makes $1500/month. How long would it have taken that sup to progress to that rate in the union? I can't wait to hear your fictitious and asinine answer... this will be hilarious. (Before you make a stupid point about the extra 2.5 hours worked by a PT sup in the week compared to other hourlies, remember it is an hourly breakdown.... figured someone with your abilities to rationalize a situation might need that pointer.)

Here's an idea. How about you stop calling him a liar when you don't even know what our benefits are. Sound good?

Listen, our benefits (pt, ft sups, managers, etc etc) work on a credit system. Just so you know, I for one, make money on my health benefits. I took option 1 (best health benefits, but CAN be a waste of money) and still had flex credits left over! You know what that means? Before you make up something that isn't true, let me tell you. I make money on my benefits. Extra credits are paid out prorated. If you don't have kids, you will probably make money on your benefits as a PT sup. Again, this is the system that ALL PT sups use. It does not matter what division, district, or region. I do not know a PT sup that pays in more than $20/month on health care.

BTW, do union employees get full legal coverage for $1.50/month? I don't remember if UPS covered that when I was an hourly.

And you call my posts bad. I knew you were a supervisor to have said such biting and self-serving things and now it's clad.

Yeah storm723 or whatever his name is making 10x that of a union new-hire. Let's all envy his glory of supervisor role at UPS and bow to his greatness.

Talk about self serving, condenscending behavior. C'mon sups, show us all your 2 week earnings and blot out your names. What do you have to hide? Rub it in; show us 10x union hourly wages and your paid-in-full part-time lifestyles.

bahhaa:sick:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

-so as a loader i made max 140 a week, so 10x that would be 1040 which would be over 50k a yr which would be more then my ft makes? smells fishy to me....
-dont promise bonuses you dont sign the check for.
-every does get the 1/2 month xmas bonus
-401k is optional for union employees too
-stock DISCOUNTS are available to ALL UPS employees

I know on-car sups making around 60-70k working 12 hour days. I'd love to see a PT sup making close to that. Instead of telling us, I want them to show us. Blot out the names and socials, let's see the goods.....what a load of crap, no? ;D

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Excellent question - I've been self-employed since I was 13 years old - successfully actually. Many, many people I believe have been forced into a change (divorce, family health issues, business down-turn, no longer wanting to run the whole show - I was hit by all of them.

I'm not struggling at all with the job itself, I'm struggling with the concept, or difference, between what I expected and what I see.

I've talked to EVERYONE that will talk with me (Note - although I say "good morning" to everyone - it's just my nature - 90% of the drivers don't even reply - 50% don't even look in my direction) I ask them what they think of UPS, their job, their prospects. Their eyes glaze over and they say "...but the benefits are great..."

Regarding the PT Supervisor position, I'm told by my HR manager that it is something to look forward to for $2 more per hour. The 10X figure must be a regional thing.

Or a delusion in hopes of making union employees envious of them..

...All the while they run themselves into the ground and lie about it to make themselves feel better on the internet.

The idea is; UPS is not for everyone, and I understand completely how you feel about the expectations and the results. There is a reason this company net billions upon billions of dollars. It's not because it's a nice, safe world here... :)