3rd Day - UPS Pre-Sort - What I've Learned

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Or a delusion in hopes of making union employees envious of them..

...All the while they run themselves into the ground and lie about it to make themselves feel better on the internet.:soapbox:

OH here we go again...yes, that would be me...delusional and lying for internet purposes.

No deary. I have integrity unlike most. I have no reason to lie. I work at UPS Monday - Friday, I leave there and work for the Army Monday through Friday. I work my arse off, however UPS is not hard by any means. Do I need UPS? Negative. I work anywhere from 24-27 1/2 a week for UPS, with the exception of peak, then it goes up to 35-40hrs roughly....oh but hey...bet ya don't believe we get over time for anything over 5hours a day...hmmm. I work a normal 40hr work week for the Army. What gets/ is hard...is during peak..when I am working two full time jobs back to back, but that is only for two months.

UPS gave me a 10% raise in March (as in every), the raise can vary as I know a few other sup's who only got 5-6%.

I could be delusional and lying....however it is just not in my nature. I gross over 135K yr between my two jobs so not so much worried about what you think of me.

And yes...I do work my arse off...why...because I like both jobs..and it is that simple.
On Friday and Saturday's you will find me....:sleeping2:

brownrodster

The 10X figure must be a regional thing.

I made 15,000$ my first full calendar year as a loader (But I'm sure I got the most overtime on my shift - and I worked over 40 hours per week at peek). Maybe my center manager makes 10x that. But certainly no PT sups make 150,000$ a year!

PT sup is the worst position in my center. The only reason anyone does it is to get their tuition paid for. And when they graduate they usually quit because there is no advancement.

sx2700

Banned
OH here we go again...yes, that would be me...delusional and lying for internet purposes.

No deary. I have integrity unlike most. I have no reason to lie. I work at UPS Monday - Friday, I leave there and work for the Army Monday through Friday. I work my arse off, however UPS is not hard by any means. Do I need UPS? Negative. I work anywhere from 24-27 1/2 a week for UPS, with the exception of peak, then it goes up to 35-40hrs roughly....oh but hey...bet ya don't believe we get over time for anything over 5hours a day...hmmm. I work a normal 40hr work week for the Army. What gets/ is hard...is during peak..when I am working two full time jobs back to back, but that is only for two months.

UPS gave me a 10% raise in March (as in every), the raise can vary as I know a few other sup's who only got 5-6%.

I could be delusional and lying....however it is just not in my nature. I gross over 135K yr between my two jobs so not so much worried about what you think of me.

And yes...I do work my arse off...why...because I like both jobs..and it is that simple.
On Friday and Saturday's you will find me....:sleeping2:

If you don't need to work at UPS then why do it? Give it up so someone that does need it can have it. Sounds like a great life, working 13-15 hour days just so you can sleep on the weekends? WooHoo!!!! I agree with previous poster: let's see your paycheck, I want to see the proof of $90 an hour wage. I would definitely be swayed into PT sup work for that.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
with the excetion of peak, as a loader I worked 3-4hrs five days a week, a lot of days they sent us home due to lack of workload (we could have stayed), my check maybe was $150-200 (10.5K), before taxes after taxes (especially here) it was maybe $75-130 (6.7K). That was at $9.50 for the first three months and $10.00 after that.

I make a heck of a lot more than that now...NO not $150K.
I also include my 401k (UPS matches what I put in) & Stocks, since that is money making money as well.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
If you don't need to work at UPS then why do it? Give it up so someone that does need it can have it. Sounds like a great life, working 13-15 hour days just so you can sleep on the weekends? WooHoo!!!!

Your right not much of a life on my part...rather boring actually...my choice though. I do really enjoy both jobs. I am also working on a post that has been BRAC'd with the possibility of closure. I stay at UPS for that reason...keeps my time in...maintains my seniority...

UPS has asked me to switch careers, I am holding off until the final word comes in from BRAC. I keep my options open by staying. If that makes sense.

He's not being truthful? Get a clue. You are telling people things that are made up. You clearly have NO IDEA how our benefits work. A full months extra work compared to an hourly? Tell me this: how many weeks of vacation does a sup get in his/her first five years? Bonus question, how many discretionary days does he/she get? Wait a minute.... I know the answer to that.... I also know how many days of vacation an hourly gets in their first five years.... hmmmm..... Maybe if you did, you would realize how ridiculous your statements are.

You want our hourly pay breakdown compared to our hourly counterparts? Clearly, you must know the formula because you obviously know more about this than us. Since a PT sup's salary varies somewhat drastically from district to district, let's say he/she makes $1500/month. How long would it have taken that sup to progress to that rate in the union? I can't wait to hear your fictitious and asinine answer... this will be hilarious. (Before you make a stupid point about the extra 2.5 hours worked by a PT sup in the week compared to other hourlies, remember it is an hourly breakdown.... figured someone with your abilities to rationalize a situation might need that pointer.)

Here's an idea. How about you stop calling him a liar when you don't even know what our benefits are. Sound good?

Listen, our benefits (pt, ft sups, managers, etc etc) work on a credit system. Just so you know, I for one, make money on my health benefits. I took option 1 (best health benefits, but CAN be a waste of money) and still had flex credits left over! You know what that means? Before you make up something that isn't true, let me tell you. I make money on my benefits. Extra credits are paid out prorated. If you don't have kids, you will probably make money on your benefits as a PT sup. Again, this is the system that ALL PT sups use. It does not matter what division, district, or region. I do not know a PT sup that pays in more than $20/month on health care.

BTW, do union employees get full legal coverage for $1.50/month? I don't remember if UPS covered that when I was an hourly.

Don't pt supes still get paid based on a 20 hour week? Don't forget you get one less week vacation. And when you double or triple shift you don't get any o.t. And if you ever go driving what happens to any pension you earned before and during your pt supervision? I know that the benefits were better before the flex benefits. I had to pay money in for less benefits. The union pay for the legal benes, I think they pay $17.30 a quarter for them.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
So I guess posting boards are pretty much the same everywhere, huh? Question gets asked, some people try & help, everybody starts slamming everyone. Yippee..

Yeah, pretty much... I actually left forum for two years...and returned thinking things changed. I get slammed pretty often...lol. I don't mind nor care though...

I encourage people to do what they want to do in UPS. It is a great company...and initially I thought cripes...I am working like a dog...for what?

Now I know....

My boss told me when I started "There are a lot of very disgruntled UPS employees, they have been doing the same job for however many years, this is what they choose to do. They will bad mouth the company, the management, the other employees (sup's, loaders or drivers), however, they still keep coming in dispite how miserable they are. These people will try to drag you into their misery

There are also a lot of happy employees at UPS that relish in the pride they have for their work and for the company. They will make you feel good about what you do and encourage you and your choices"

I chose to stick with the "Happy UPSer". UPS can be "just a job", or it can be a "career", the choice will rely on ones own attitude, actions and intestinal fortitude to pave their own path.

I do respond to people but for the most part, I try to ignore the bashing... LOL!

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Don't pt supes still get paid based on a 20 hour week? Don't forget you get one less week vacation. And when you double or triple shift you don't get any o.t. And if you ever go driving what happens to any pension you earned before and during your pt supervision? I know that the benefits were better before the flex benefits. I had to pay money in for less benefits. The union pay for the legal benes, I think they pay $17.30 a quarter for them.

I don't know what it is across the country. I know I get paid based on a 27.5 hour work week, I don't always work that, as I stated earlier I normally work no less than 20hrs no more than 27.5 with the exception of peak. I DO get over time for anything over 5hrs a day. We get a premuim pay for a certain number and then OT for anything above and beyond that. I make out fabulously during Christmas.

atatbl is correct...we also get credit on benefits that are not used. Hence more money!

D

drako2

You made a fabulous choice to come to UPS. It is a very positive work environment, and if you work hard..it is noted AND appriciated. UPS choses to always support the employees FIRST..and, that alone, has made all the difference in my 3 years of employment.

wait till you have more time. you have a lot to look forward to. they will want more from you and give less back. if you resist there are ways to make you pay for your sin against the brown gods. i know from my 11 years of experiance. it might be that i'm full time and the can hire 4 new hirer's for the same wage the give me. they are verry well educated in the trade of srewing you over and hidine the fingerprints of harrassment. add that with former ups peaple as unoin reps and you have a lot of pain.

I do believe you wanted someone to lie to you.:wink2:

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
What are you talking about? It's how they sucker us in! You might want to know what you are talking about before you tell us what we receive. We get 5 bonuses a year. 4 quarterly (vary from $400-$1000 pre-taxes) and a Christmas bonus (half a months salary paid in the second week of Dec every year).

Really? I don't get a discount on my stock like the others? See, here's the funny thing... there is this crazy company impersonating a brokerage firm that keeps sending me information about the UPS stock I own..... Maybe you are right though..... I will "call them out" for being liars.

LOL, the funny part is, if I did I would look like you just did.

P.S.- Storm, it is NOT just in our divisions. It is UPS wide. All PT sups get this. Even dispatch sups get it, and they don't really supervise others. 1989 just wanted to inform you that he knows more about being a PT sup than PT sups do... you know how that goes. :dissapointed:

atatbl...your right!! It is so funny....
I thought I needed to check myself...I thought I didn't quite figure my life out...I thought I didn't make the right decisions. I almost started believing that the PT loaders and Union-ized knew more about my and my life than I did.

As far as our gain-share checks, I know all sups get it...funny part about that is...and think about this.. yes they don't supervise others. However, think about they break down the funds, it must be nice for those sups to not have to worry about any of that...lol. Ours here cap out at $1200... hmmm... that is a potential of another 5K on top of my salary. hmmmm

Thanks for having my back! For a minute I thought I really was delusional and lying...lol!

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
-so as a loader i made max 140 a week, so 10x that would be 1040 which would be over 50k a yr which would be more then my ft makes? smells fishy to me....
-dont promise bonuses you dont sign the check for.
-every does get the 1/2 month xmas bonus
-401k is optional for union employees too
-stock DISCOUNTS are available to ALL UPS employees

What is fishy is that your FT is getting shafted. Both FTers here are over 80k.....and that doesn't count their stock bonuses...?

Hmmm maybe it is regional...maybe it is based on locality. Cost of living definately varies from state to state wouldn't ya say??

tieguy

Banned
Don't pt supes still get paid based on a 20 hour week? Don't forget you get one less week vacation.

27.5 hours a week, 5.5 a day.

And when you double or triple shift you don't get any o.t.

they get overtime pay just like anyone else. they put the hours worked in ptrs everyday.

And if you ever go driving what happens to any pension you earned before and during your pt supervision?

depends on many factors. If he is vested then he does not lose anything.

I know that the benefits were better before the flex benefits. I had to pay money in for less benefits. The union pay for the legal benes, I think they pay $17.30 a quarter for them.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Yeah, pretty much... I actually left forum for two years...and returned thinking things changed. I get slammed pretty often...lol. I don't mind nor care though...

[/b]I encourage people to do what they want to do in UPS. It is a great company...and initially I thought cripes...[/b]I am working like a dog...for what?

Now I know....

My boss told me when I started "There are a lot of very disgruntled UPS employees, they have been doing the same job for however many years, this is what they choose to do. They will bad mouth the company, the management, the other employees (sup's, loaders or drivers), however, they still keep coming in dispite how miserable they are. These people will try to drag you into their misery

There are also a lot of happy employees at UPS that relish in the pride they have for their work and for the company. They will make you feel good about what you do and encourage you and your choices"

I chose to stick with the "Happy UPSer". UPS can be "just a job", or it can be a "career", the choice will rely on ones own attitude, actions and intestinal fortitude to pave their own path.

I do respond to people but for the most part, I try to ignore the bashing... LOL!

lol...

What district do you work in? What's sad is that even the dimwits I work with know that PT sups make nowhere near 10X preloader pay. Granted army people aren't that bright, but you take the cake.

Do you own a calculator? Maybe you could punch in a few numbers. Take 8.50 * (the asterik means multiply by) 10. If you own a working calculator you get 85.00.

Granted UPS jobs aren't for everyone. But a job that pays $85 per hour? And they can't even get trainees? Come on now!!!! Someone is trying to scam someone.

It's like those bimbos that make $1000 in their underwear during their 30 minute infomercial. A pure scam!!!!

SHOW US THE PAYCHECK!!!!!!

helenofcalifornia

10 times what a preloader makes is: 10 times his weekly paycheck (- approx. $180-200) = $1800-2000 a month is what he meant. I don't think he meant that he was making $85 an hour.