4-day work week

barnyard

KTM rider
Today, the Express guy that delivers in my area had a guy riding along with him. Asked him about it and he says, "I am training him, I will only be working 4 day weeks from now on."

Is this a company wide thing???

He says that, starting next week, he will have Mondays off and the guy he was training will be doing the route.

I would not mind the 10-11 hour days if I only had a 4 day week.

vantexan

Today, the Express guy that delivers in my area had a guy riding along with him. Asked him about it and he says, "I am training him, I will only be working 4 day weeks from now on."

Is this a company wide thing???

Many stations have a mix of 4 day and 5 day rts. It depends usually on whether it's a local rt or extended rt, which are often 4X10. Some stations close early enough that even local rts are 4X10 rather than have a part-time pickup crew come in later.

What's really nice is some stations have rotating days off for 4X10's. If you are off Tuesday this week, you'll be off Wednsday next week. When you get to Friday you'll have Monday off too. A 4 day weekend once a month.

He says that, starting next week, he will have Mondays off and the guy he was training will be doing the route.

I would not mind the 10-11 hour days if I only had a 4 day week.

SmithBarney

We have one guy that runs 4 x 10 Its just cause on Mondays there isn't enough Volume for his route so its absorbed.
Doesn't hurt that he's topped out either.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
4x10's are a common way for FedEx to cut costs, but in my area they've been cut way-back because they don't have enough people to provide loop floats who cover for the 4/10 courier on his/her day off.

DS

Fenderbender
Its an interesting idea that would be hard to implement at ups.We are guaranteed 8 hours,with time and a half after 8 hrs.
Some folks are good with 8 hr days,others,like myself,appreciate an additional 12 hrs pay,with 8 hrs ot each week,
which works out to be an extra $150+ clear every week.This is the only reason having a contract with your boss is good.

SmithBarney

4x10 seems good except for the lack of OT, its a great deal for topped out drivers, who can always sign up for an OT day if they want...
Currently I work 5x10 so I get plenty of OT with the occasional 6th day OT if I sign up. But of course I have to work lots of OT to make a livable wage.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The problem I found with 4X10's the managers are always trying to con you in to working your day off, sometimes even scheduling you without saying anything. If you did work on your day off they'd want you all 10 hours (no thanks!). Other than that the idea of 4X10's is fine.