4 drivers hired off the street

P

pickup

Let all 4 gain seniority before filing,then when they do file, how can you not win that one?

The union will win that one, but
Where I am they hire Feeder drivers off the street, we use classification seniority for job picks. (Yes that argument can be for another time.) If they hire different than the ratio the feeder seniority list will have spaces for the drivers out of package or transfers to dovetail into.

You could ask a steward to look into.

Yes, everything you said is true, but if a hiring freeze takes place, those blank spaces on the seniority list can stay unfilled for a long time.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Let all 4 gain seniority before filing,then when they do file, how can you not win that one?
Bad advice. If he were to wait until all 4 qualified and then filed, sure, he may win it, but what is the outcome of the grievance? He may be the next to go driving? When will this happen? Next year?

If he wants to go driving, he needs to file on it now "before" they qualify so they can train him now and possibly not train 1 of the 4 from the outside.

Let's look at the 6 for 1 though. What does it mean?

It means that UPS has to maintain the 6 for 1 ratio for the life of the contract. If, in this case, they expect to need 24 more drivers in the next 3 1/2 years, then they are fine. His grievance will just make sure that the next 24 come from the inside.

But if there is no way that they will come near their 6 for 1 ratio with their projected hiring for the next 3 1/2 years, then he should win this grievance and take the place of one of the off the street hires. They may even have to take 2 from the inside and drop 2 off the street hires.

Pooter

Make sure they are actual outside hires and not from other sorts. If your not from the preload most people just assume outside o_O

Investigate before you feel like a silly goose

Johney

Bad advice. If he were to wait until all 4 qualified and then filed, sure, he may win it, but what is the outcome of the grievance? He may be the next to go driving? When will this happen? Next year?

If he wants to go driving, he needs to file on it now "before" they qualify so they can train him now and possibly not train 1 of the 4 from the outside.

Let's look at the 6 for 1 though. What does it mean?

It means that UPS has to maintain the 6 for 1 ratio for the life of the contract. If, in this case, they expect to need 24 more drivers in the next 3 1/2 years, then they are fine. His grievance will just make sure that the next 24 come from the inside.

But if there is no way that they will come near their 6 for 1 ratio with their projected hiring for the next 3 1/2 years, then he should win this grievance and take the place of one of the off the street hires. They may even have to take 2 from the inside and drop 2 off the street hires.
I understand what you're saying but, 6 to 1 means 6 insiders to 1 outsider,insiders coming first. So if they hired 4 outsiders first then that tells me they have to fulfill the insiders asap. Grieve it before the outsiders gain seniority and someone realizes they made a boo-boo and they disqualify 3 then they don't have to add the insiders. Good advice or bad advice if 6 to 1 is how I see it then I gave good advice if it is how you see it then you gave better advice. Once the 4 get seniority that is guaranteed that they will need to fulfill 24 more jobs if those 4 guys get tossed? Nothing is guaranteed. Agreed?

clean hairy

There is a certain number of days to file, otherwise the grievance is untimely.
File asap, so many grievances have been tossed for being untimely.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So if they hired 4 outsiders first then that tells me they have to fulfill the insiders asap.
Not necessarily asap. They have 3 1/2 years to fulfill the 6 for 1. UPS may not need drivers for another year if these 4 qualify.

Grieve it before the outsiders gain seniority and someone realizes they made a boo-boo and they disqualify 3 then they don't have to add the insiders.
If they needed 4 drivers and he wins the 6 for 1 grievance, and they disqualify 3 of the outside hires, I would say that they will hire the other 3 from the inside to fulfill the 6 for 1.

Once the 4 get seniority that is guaranteed that they will need to fulfill 24 more jobs if those 4 guys get tossed? Nothing is guaranteed.
If those 4 get tossed, they may realize that all 4 have to come from the inside. Or 3 of the 4.

I still feel he needs to grieve it right away before the 4 qualify. He also has a timeline to grieve it or it will be considered untimely.

Johney

Untimely for the one of four positions, not for the 24 they would have to hire and that time should start after they gain seniority. Grieve for one and maybe get it? Grieve for 24 and most surely get it. 4 outsiders get in and for sure they have to hire 24 right? If it's 3+ years that's still better than just 4 over the next 3+ years. All I'm saying is if those 4 outsiders get seniority they must hire 24 insiders right? So what's to say it's grieved and won for the 4 outsiders to be replaced by 4 insiders and they don't hire anymore? I maybe way off base, but 24 guaranteed jobs over 3+ years or shorter sounds better than 4.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Untimely for the one of four positions, not for the 24 they would have to hire and that time should start after they gain seniority. Grieve for one and maybe get it? Grieve for 24 and most surely get it. 4 outsiders get in and for sure they have to hire 24 right? If it's 3+ years that's still better than just 4 over the next 3+ years. All I'm saying is if those 4 outsiders get seniority they must hire 24 insiders right? So what's to say it's grieved and won for the 4 outsiders to be replaced by 4 insiders and they don't hire anymore? I maybe way off base, but 24 guaranteed jobs over 3+ years or shorter sounds better than 4.
I agree and see where you are coming from. Problem is that it will not work that way. The decision of the grievance will be that the "next" 24 will come from the inside. Not necessarily that they will "have" to hire 24 in the next 3 1/2 years.

If UPS does not have its ratio at the end of this contract, do you seriously think that the union will make them hire 10 or 20 drivers? They will just say that the next 10, or whatever, need to come from the inside.

As a matter of fact, the Central clarified this language. It is not for the life of the contract, it is for every 7 job openings, 6 come from the inside. This would not be an issue in the Central. If they needed 4 drivers right now, only 1, at the most, can come from the outside.

ARTICLE 3-SENIORITY

Section 10-Part-time Employees Transferring To

Full-time Jobs Other Than Hub and Preload

After the completion of the job selection procedure outlined in Section

8 of this Article, the resulting opening will be filled as follows:

Part-time employees with six (6) or more month’s seniority may bid

on a full-time opening in their building in all months except

November and December, providing they meet the same requirements

as applicants for that full-time job. The six (6) months or

more may be reduced upon mutual agreement. The permanent new

job or permanent vacancy resulting from the procedure outlined

above will be posted for a period of five (5) working days. The job

will be awarded to the senior bidding employee.

The employee awarded the job must satisfactorily complete a thirty

(30) working day training period. An employee who disqualifies

himself/herself on his/her first (1st) attempt shall not be allowed to

bid again for one (1) year. An employee who fails to qualify, or disqualifies

themselves on his/her second (2nd) attempt, shall not be allowed

to bid again for three (3) years. The above procedure will be applied

on an alternating six-for-one basis, (e. g., for every seven (7) jobs,

six (6) will be filled as outlined above and the other from applicants

from other sources).

box_beeyotch

You should've filed as soon as you found this out. Do not let it go unnoticed. We have a union for a reason and this is a good example.

jaker

trolling
I don't know how other areas are, but here we have 8 centers in the same district

So that means 6 inside to one center , one outside to my hub another 6 in another hub and one outsider in my hub

So in my eyes I see two of the street but didn't see the other 12 insiders get a job

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't know how other areas are, but here we have 8 centers in the same district

So that means 6 inside to one center , one outside to my hub another 6 in another hub and one outsider in my hub

So in my eyes I see two of the street but didn't see the other 12 insiders get a job
In the Central, each individual center has to maintain the 6 for 1. It is not district wide.

scisector9

I may catch some grief for the following post but here it goes:

I work at a smaller center we street around 40-45 routes daily and we have been having a hard time getting inside employees who want to or are capable to drive ft package

Since peak we have had 3 insiders self DQ themselves. We have had one in seven who bid that end up unable to drive a stick or fail driving test. Had a few who were unwilling to go to integrad for whatever reason etc etc.

I'm not saying the op is one of these situations but we have been forced to look outside over our ratio to fill vacancies. This job isn't all fun and games and not everyone can hack it. May be stereotyping but some of these milleniuls are a bit lacking in drive? Best of luck op and if this situation isn't yours grieve away and get what you deserve.

Cheers