4 drivers quit in 1 center

29th Christmas

Yes, it's true. I thought I'd post this in partial response to the recent UPS WSJ article, particularly the 74K $ wage.

A little background info:
The ctr has approx 25 drivers PLUS 2 satellite ctrs with 2-3 drivers each. The satellite rts are a lot less physical than those in the main ctr.
The friend/t DRIVING seniority of the resigning drivers is approx 2months (female, satellite ctr #1), 2yrs (female, satellite ctr #2), 2+yrs (male), 4 yrs (female).
The economy in this area is better than most, but still not good by any means.

My conclusion: driving ain't for everybody, $ ain't everything, and there IS life after brown.

helenofcalifornia

What's in that water over there? Almost 1/6 of the drivers quit? I would be interested in knowing what their plans are? What jobs are they going to? How much time was there between the first person that quit and the last? Did they ever feel "forced out?" Must be a LOT of happy PTers at that center!! I wonder how long they were PT before they went driving. I knew from my PT years exactly what I was getting into. Maybe these guys were hired off the street? Three of them haven't even topped out in wages which would probably make it easier to quit too. I got lots of questions for these guys. I hope they are just as happy that they quit UPS in six months (great benefits for your family and kids as a UPSer) as they are now.

what's in that water over there? Almost 1/6 of the drivers quit? I would be interested in knowing what their plans are? What jobs are they going to? How much time was there between the first person that quit and the last? Did they ever feel "forced out?" must be a lot of happy pters at that center!! I wonder how long they were pt before they went driving. I knew from my pt years exactly what i was getting into. Maybe these guys were hired off the street? Three of them haven't even topped out in wages which would probably make it easier to quit too. I got lots of questions for these guys. I hope they are just as happy that they quit ups in six months (great benefits for your family and kids as a upser) as they are now.
amen to that

barnyard

KTM rider
A couple of years ago we had a few drivers quit. All of them were at top pay, they were all sick of the hassles and recognized that quality of life meant more than a paycheck. I am very close to that point.

rocket man

Theres a lot of people out there who will be be willing to have your poor quality of life at 60k a year Fomer DHL DRIVERS COME TO MIND. I think you should quit.

browned out

Hang in there. Give mg-mt sarcasm instead of anger. They hate it. Use the grievance procedure for over 9.5s. Use the methods. Use your sick days and take days off when you need them. They try to get drivers to quit so they can be replaced with younger drivers who are easily manipulated to think the time studies are real, make less money, and have less vacation time.

I GOT ONE MORE

Just my opinion.....

happiness can originate from many sources.

money, being one of them.

a simple example, the little rubber duck a kid plays with while taking a bath. That child is HAPPY.

but it took money to buy the duck.

if you got no money, you are more likely to be less happy

trickpony1

Some of the happiest people I have ever met didn't have a pot to piss in so money ain't everything.

Would these be the people that live under the bridge that's right around the corner from the homeless shelter?
I bet they are happy:
1) free meals
2) free health care
3) free place to sleep

Their biggest concern is where their next bottle of wine or bowl of meth is coming from.
What a life!!!!!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Money is great if you know how to handle your finances. The more money you make you get the false sense that you can afford anything and end up with debt up to their ears. Just ask all the people who's "underwater" and on the brink of foreclosure.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Some of the happiest people I have ever met didn't have a pot to piss in so money ain't everything.

Just my opinion.....

happiness can originate from many sources.

money, being one of them.

a simple example, the little rubber duck a kid plays with while taking a bath. That child is HAPPY.

but it took money to buy the duck.

if you got no money, you are more likely to be less happy

Happiness comes from within the person.
I, like Upstate have known many happy people that did not make that much money and I know several people who make much more than we make at UPS who are not happy.

Once the basic needs of life are met, the rest is just fluff. Fluff can be nice but it will not make an unhappy person happy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Today is customer appreciation day at our local Subway shops. They are offering BOGO on their footlong subs so I will have dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow for the price of dinner tonight. I like saving money.:happy2:

purplesky

Good for them! If they are in the Denver area there are plenty of jobs to be had. IF You WORK FOR UPS NOW MORE THAN EVER YOUR HEALTH IS AT RISK. If you dont have more than 10 full time years in than leave UPS because UPS does not want you anyway. THESE PEOPLE ARE LUCKY BECAUSE THEY GET to START A NEW CHAPTER IN LIFE. GOOD LUCK TO THEM!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good for them! If they are in the Denver area there are plenty of jobs to be had. IF You WORK FOR UPS NOW MORE THAN EVER YOUR HEALTH IS AT RISK. If you dont have more than 10 full time years in than leave UPS because UPS does not want you anyway. THESE PEOPLE ARE LUCKY BECAUSE THEY GET to START A NEW CHAPTER IN LIFE. GOOD LUCK TO THEM!

Oh, no, the sky is falling!! The sky is falling!!

Give me a break.