40 drivers layed off

Deemster

So, Monday.

I came in to load as usual and was completely surprised to learn that an upwards of 40 PC drivers got laid off in the hub.

I just finished my driver training a couple weeks before, with a few more sets of classes behind me.

I had originally hoped to be driving by the end of the summer. By the end of next week we will have an upwards of 70 drivers waiting to drive.

I'll be lucky to drive by next peak season at this rate...

on a side note:
1) I was told we would receive 40 hours for driver orientation. I got 33.2. Grievance? Not to mention I worked 12 hours on the day we rode along with a driver (hands on training)

2)I have started sat air driving. I'll be driving myself for the first time tomorrow. I'm a bit confused on the payrate here. I was under the assumption that I can't receive any less pay than what I'm making currently in the hub. Sat air here is $12.XX/hour.

central states

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
So, Monday.

I came in to load as usual and was completely surprised to learn that an upwards of 40 PC drivers got laid off in the hub.

I just finished my driver training a couple weeks before, with a few more sets of classes behind me.

I had originally hoped to be driving by the end of the summer. By the end of next week we will have an upwards of 70 drivers waiting to drive.

I'll be lucky to drive by next peak season at this rate...

on a side note:
1) I was told we would receive 40 hours for driver orientation. I got 33.2. Grievance? Not to mention I worked 12 hours on the day we rode along with a driver (hands on training)

2)I have started sat air driving. I'll be driving myself for the first time tomorrow. I'm a bit confused on the payrate here. I was under the assumption that I can't receive any less pay than what I'm making currently in the hub. Sat air here is $12.XX/hour.

central states
40 ? Not full time PC. I would talk to your sup about the 40 hr guarantee before you file

Deemster

40 ? Not full time PC. I would talk to your sup about the 40 hr guarantee before you file

At first I heard around 20. By last night I was hearing close to 40 were laid off. Yes ft pc. Anyone less than 2 years ft senority seems to be back in the center.

I've talked to every sup I encounter on a regular basis about the 40 hour guarantee since our pay was posted last week. I get the generic "I'm not sure" response.

I notified a shop steward at the beginning of the week. Told me he would find out. Turns out no one in my class got their 40.

Today is the last day I'm just going to sit and let everyone blow me off regarding this. I will file, target on my back be damned.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
At first I heard around 20. By last night I was hearing close to 40 were laid off. Yes ft pc. Anyone less than 2 years ft senority seems to be back in the center.

I've talked to every sup I encounter on a regular basis about the 40 hour guarantee since our pay was posted last week. I get the generic "I'm not sure" response.

I notified a shop steward at the beginning of the week. Told me he would find out. Turns out no one in my class got their 40.

Today is the last day I'm just going to sit and let everyone blow me off regarding this. I will file, target on my back be damned.
You don't want a target on your back before you make seniority.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We hired a bazillion drivers. Something is up and I'm not sure what.

There are centers sending home 15% of their drivers every day and still
currently hiring more.

I've been around a long time and I never heard of layoffs like this. I sure hope it is a temporary thing.

theslinger

If the FT driver goes back to the hub, does he keep his driving rate or does he get whatever his hub-rate should have been up to him going back the hub?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

How many routes are there in your center that they could lay that many people off? I mean even if you have 100 drivers, you're talking about production cuts of 40% during the off season.

I know I'm in a small building. But that just seems beyond extreme.