40 drivers layed off

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I will put on my paranoid tin foil hat for a moment and speculate that the company might be trying to build up a large reserve of trained, driver-qualified people who will spend the next few years on a layoff list scraping by on whatever hours they can get in the hub or preload or driving during peak season. They will be broke, they will be hungry, and they will be presented with an interesting choice on August 1st, 2018.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I will put on my paranoid tin foil hat for a moment and speculate that the company might be trying to build up a large reserve of trained, driver-qualified people who will spend the next few years on a layoff list scraping by on whatever hours they can get in the hub or preload or driving during peak season. They will be broke, they will be hungry, and they will be presented with an interesting choice on August 1st, 2018.
The thought has most certainly crossed my mind.

It would work in some areas. Others it would not.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Do drivers laid off from driving, working in the building, not make top driver rate in your area? We do here.
I saw at least 8 drivers from one center go home yesterday.

asphaltcowboy

Lately I've been getting a day off a week. But that's because of the BS sat air they've been telling me to do. Heck I make more in the hub than air pay

Deemster

I believe there are around 400 drivers.

These are numbers I have heard pretty consistently over time as I have worked here.

to clarify: they were laid off from driving and are now working twilight/night sorts in the hub.

I just got sent home, was late and obviously overstaffed. But it's okay.

I'm taking my first shot behind the wheel tomorrow morning, Saturday air.

Since I'm not working tonight I'm clear to start working at 4:45 am at the air facility, to help sort and load the volume before I start my route... also a supe to ride along for space and visibility observation

and coincidentally I'm missing my little get together with the shop steward. Lost cause?

UPSGUY72

The post isn't very clear. If 40 drivers got laid off they could bump at least 40 pt or up to 80 PT on two shift to get there 8 hours.

How many PC driver are in this HUB ??? How many routes are in this hub ?

Deemster

Also my driver friend that I've been talking to said we lost the express script contract. I don't know if this is a local loss or nationwide?

Apparently a lot of it is nda and is big money

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We hired a bazillion drivers. Something is up and I'm not sure what.

There are centers sending home 15% of their drivers every day and still currently hiring more.
Same here. Cutting routes. Sending drivers home. First time in about 8 years for a full time driver position up. Not 1. 7 of them up..........something is up is right.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This is the kind of thread that pisses me off! Our hub had shouting matches this past week between drivers on who was going to be able to not work!! Mind you, these are FT drivers squabbling like little school girls on grabbing PT cover drivers to run their routes!!! This is the Roswell hub in case you guys care to compare locations. In case I'm not clear, these drivers don't want to work.

PT Car Washer

Do drivers laid off from driving, working in the building, not make top driver rate in your area? We do here.
I saw at least 8 drivers from one center go home yesterday.
I suppose it depends on how much seniority you have. We have about a dozen drivers laid off since January. All are in their first year of driving and are making starting inside FT rate. $15/hr.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I suppose it depends on how much seniority you have. We have about a dozen drivers laid off since January. All are in their first year of driving and are making starting inside FT rate. $15/hr.
What I find weird is after they make their 30 days the clock has started on progression for all of these guys so makes no sense not to work them.

Also who is allowing these drivers to
Train with others being sent home?