40 weeks or 1801 hours

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
TP, it doesn't matter whether you schedule the vacations one week at a time or take all 6 weeks at the same time------each vacation week is a separate check and multiple checks are all taxed at the same rate.

When I know that I will be on vacation I suspend my 401k contribution and increase my W-4 withholdings to 9. It takes up to 10 days for the 401k change to kick in---the W-4 change is much quicker.
Seriously?

trickpony1

upsworm-
No, I'm not saying that.
I'm saying if you retire in 2014, you won't be on active payroll in 2015 so your checks may be taxed heavily. You will be paid.

I'm also saying the contract says you must be on active payroll in 2015 (just one day) to be paid for your optional week. This is why some drivers post the first 7 weeks of 2015 as vacation/optional and never come back.

A very knowledgeable source told me this. He also said make sure you have 156 reports before you retire.

trickpony1

upsworm-
There may be a mistake in the title of this thread. I'm surprised upstate didn't catch it.
Pension is paid on straight time only,not overtime, so.......
40 weeks X 40 hours per week is 1600 hours....not 1801.
Before you retire I would make sure you have 156 reports AND 1600+ straight time hours.

This is in the central states area. Don't know where you are.

Inthegame

So, are you saying that although I worked all year of 2014 to earn 2015 vacation, I don't get paid for them if I retire in October?
If you retire on or before your seniority date in 2014 you will not get any credit for 2015 vacations. Those hours are earned starting on your 2014 seniority date. Upon retirement or resignation your option week is figured into your eligible vacation weeks (or days) on a prorata basis unless you were fired for dishonesty. CRT Art 16 requires 1250 straight time hours (156 reports) after your seniority date to get 100% of your vacations at retirement.