401k, Am I doing this right?

MrMissPieces

Hi guys, New to the forum. I'm 26 have been with the company for about roughly 8 years. PT for 5yrs and now a full time driver. I started my 401k(ROTH) about 4 years ago. Long story short. All of my investments are going towards Bright Horizon 2050. 5% 401k ROTH and 3% After Tax (Non Roth) so what are ya thoughts? any input would be great. Thanks for ya time =]

upschuck

I'm not a big fan of the Bright Horizon funds. I do really like the S&P 500 which is difficult to beat over long term.
They do ok, and fees went down, but with that many years you could definately ride out any short term bumps in the roadwith the 500

MrMissPieces

wow. appreciate for the fast responses. so, I'm planning on doing 70% S&P and 30% on bright horizon? and I'll definitely will raise my contribution as I top out.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The bright Horizon charges a bit more of a fee,also.
Not just a bit more a lot more, they charge nine times as much. Over the course of a 25 year career you will pay literally thousands of dollars more in fees to be in a BH fund vs the S&P 500 index. Also consider that every single one of the BH funds has underperformed the S&P index (by significant margins) over the long term so in addition to paying thousands more in fees you will likely miss out on thousands more in investment returns. There is really no good reason for anybody to be in those funds unless they feel compelled to contribute to the investment banker's retirement fund.

beentheredonethat

Hi guys, New to the forum. I'm 26 have been with the company for about roughly 8 years. PT for 5yrs and now a full time driver. I started my 401k(ROTH) about 4 years ago. Long story short. All of my investments are going towards Bright Horizon 2050. 5% 401k ROTH and 3% After Tax (Non Roth) so what are ya thoughts? any input would be great. Thanks for ya time =]
First, congratulations for starting to invest at your age. My biggest question is why the 3% after Tax? Why not 8% Roth 401K? Or 5% Roth 401K and 3% Pre tax? (To at least get a tax advantage now). The second biggest one is as others stated about having more into an SP500.

The Driver

I drive.
Great thread, was just thinking about asking the same question.

I'm now allocated with 70% going to S&P Large Cap and 30% Bright Horizons 2045. Just changed it from 100% BH2045.

Also doing $20 a week in discounted UPS stock with automatic dividend reinvestment.

I'm 30 years old with 24 to 29 years left at the company.

I'm now allocated with 70% going to S&P Large Cap and 30% Bright Horizons 2045. Just changed it from 100% BH2045.

Also doing $20 a week in discounted UPS stock with automatic dividend reinvestment.

Sounds like a plan

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Do yourself a solid and get out of the BH funds completely. In 24 to 29 years you'll be glad you did.