401k and real estate loans

plkl62

Can anyone tell me if I am a participant in the teamsters 401k if I would like to take out a loan for a down payment on a property what are the restrictions on the loan how soon does it have to be paid back?

upschuck

Can anyone tell me if I am a participant in the teamsters 401k if I would like to take out a loan for a down payment on a property what are the restrictions on the loan how soon does it have to be paid back?
The restrictions are that it would have to used for down payment on your property. Just be cognizant that if you leave UPS, then you'd have to pay back that loan, immediately I think, or pay taxes and penalties, which are hefty.

The restrictions are that it would have to used for down payment on your property. Just be cognizant that if you leave UPS, then you'd have to pay back that loan, immediately I think, or pay taxes and penalties, which are hefty.
You have 90 days to pay it back after you leave employment. Otherwise it's considered a withdrawal with taxes and penalties due

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
They have a list of things that are eligible to withdraw money from your 401k for. Ours is more restricted than most. My wife's 401k is a lot more flexible. She can borrow money for any reason.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Before you can borrow from your 401k you have to put money into it. You borrow your own money. Sounds like you aren't even signed up yet. Good luck with that.

By The Book

How long if I do stay employed which I hope to
You have to have an account with a balance in it. An example may be you have 100,000.00 in it and need 25,000.00 for a primary residence. You may qualify and the loan may be structured as a 5,10 or 15 year term. The monies come out of your checks until paid back.

I have heard of some who borrow enough to cover the 20% down to avoid the MIP. To me this is smart to pay yourself back instead of extra fees on the loan.
You do have a good point but. Unless it's a deal of a lifetime I wouldn't touch the 401k. If you can't afford the down payment that means you don't have any money in an emergency fund. If something needs repaired or replaced ,then what?