401k for dummies?

MC0493

I'll have to look over the other various options once i'm approved. And wow this thread made it 2 pages before the :censored2: show started;)

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
if you could max out now you will have close to 2.5-3 million in 35 years . use the calculator on the 401k website . the last 40 years the market has averaged 8 percent gains per year.

even if it only averages 5 % gains over the next 35 years you will have a couple mill.

on one calculator , if you save 20% of your income till you retire , you will have over 4 million.( of course past performance does not guarantee future results )

MC0493

I'd love to max everything out and have a stash when i'm older, but i don't want to give up too much living money either. Have to see how 10% affects me and then adjust from there. Obviously as i go up the pay scale i'll continue to up the percentage.

dudebro

I'd love to max everything out and have a stash when i'm older, but i don't want to give up too much living money either. Have to see how 10% affects me and then adjust from there. Obviously as i go up the pay scale i'll continue to up the percentage.
Also, just put the money in an s&p 500 index fund. at 22, I would fully invest in stocks. do your own research, but 2 constants I have found is 1) managed funds don't consistently beat the market over the long term and 2) index funds tend to have the lowest investment fees.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
if you could max out now you will have close to 2.5-3 million in 35 years . use the calculator on the 401k website . the last 40 years the market has averaged 8 percent gains per year.

even if it only averages 5 % gains over the next 35 years you will have a couple mill.

on one calculator , if you save 20% of your income till you retire , you will have over 4 million.( of course past performance does not guarantee future results )
This is what I don't get...what do I have to invest in to make what I put in onto 3 million? I'm not very smart

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
well that's how we did it. started out at 10% and found out we didn't miss it . then every year with our approx. 3% raises we went up 5 %. in about 5 years we were maxing out. don't forget you are saving a ton on taxes.

most of my 401 k was in Vanguard Index funds. good point dudebro.