401k match

upschuck

Remember this to, the Roth 401 k goes in taxed but all money grows tax free. When it come time to take it out you will not pay any taxes on it. Regular will get taxed. Can be thousand upon thousands of dollars difference. Info from Dave Ramsey.
You don't need to be a DR disciple to know this.

Look for changes in both in the next decade or so.
It really depends on when you think you will have a higher tax rate, pre retirement, or post retirement. Since nobody can see the future on tax rates, it is really a guess as to which one will grant you higher net income.

The advantage of the Roth, is that there is no required withdrawal age, which in traditional is 71 1/2.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Any fund with a name like "horizon" invests heavily internationally. It can be a good return of investment but can also be risky. Personally I don't like investing in Europe and don't trust China so I try to avoid those kinds of funds.
The bright horizon funds are target date funds. Nothing to do with domestic or overseas. They auto adjust the risk as you get closer to retirement.

Convenient but much higher fees.

It really depends on when you think you will have a higher tax rate, pre retirement, or post retirement. Since nobody can see the future on tax rates, it is really a guess as to which one will grant you higher net income.

The advantage of the Roth, is that there is no required withdrawal age, which in traditional is 71 1/2.
70 and a half for you RMD

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The bright horizon funds are target date funds. Nothing to do with domestic or overseas. They auto adjust the risk as you get closer to retirement.

Convenient but much higher fees.

My retirement year is 2019 yet I chose the BH 2025 as I want to remain aggressive on this investment rather than have it become more conservative the closer it gets to the target date.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
My retirement year is 2019 yet I chose the BH 2025 as I want to remain aggressive on this investment rather than have it become more conservative the closer it gets to the target date.

If you want to remain aggressive, you should just put your money in the Blue Chips, S & P 500. Can't get any more aggressive than that. The Bright Horizon funds have a mixture of Bonds within the portfolio, something we all should stay away from at this moment in time.

You can get a complete synopsis of each fund that Prudential carries with just a phone call. It will list each and every stock, bond or whatever that every fund has. I did this back in the early 90's to help me choose my path.

Xexys post: 1363296 said:
If you want to remain aggressive, you should just put your money in the Blue Chips, S & P 500. Can't get any more aggressive than that. The Bright Horizon funds have a mixture of Bonds within the portfolio, something we all should stay away from at this moment in time.

You can get a complete synopsis of each fund that Prudential carries with just a phone call. It will list each and every stock, bond or whatever that every fund has. I did this back in the early 90's to help me choose my path.
The S&P 500 has a lower expenses than the Target funds.

oldngray

nowhere special
I know where I stash my cash! lol
76cdfee8b1d7d556a1a37c6e27184e4b.jpg

brown metal coffin

Does the prudential teamsters union 401k plan provide employees with any type of match?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Don't tease me! If the skies ever opened up with that heavenly light shining down with a loud booming voice saying UPS will now offer matching in 401k I would probably have cardiac failure racing to the computer to make more changes! One can only dream...

I would though recommend putting maybe a small percentage in the roth 401k. You don't get the the tax write off right now but if you cash that you won't pay taxes on the amount you originally invested because you paid them up front. The benefit is that you can tap the principle before 59 1/2 I think with no taxes or penalties.