401k question

Coldworld

60 months and counting
hey all. Does anyone know when you change your percentages, or the funds themselves, do the changes happen now or is there a period of time that one has to wait for it to happen?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Usually it happens within a few business days.
You will receive notification by snail mail of your changes with all necessary info included.

mountaingoat

Some of the funds have a waiting period to prevent volatility. This ensures that you can't buy/sell day-by-day, making the funds volatile. I believe with the government treasury funds there is a waiting period before you can go back in and purchase them.

With the equity index funds, you should be able to make the purchase the next business day.

Leftinbuilding

Interesting you would bring this up. I made some changes on May 7th. I was told they would take effect on the 9th. They took effect today. (15th) This was all online.

mountaingoat

I don't know what funds that you were invested in, but here is some information from the Savings Plus site:

Fund restriction:
"Contributions and loan repayments made to the EAFE International Index Fund must remain invested in the fund for 30 calendar days to avoid a 2% redemption fee."

Contributions:
"Contributions generally post to your account on the third business day of the week following the week you received your paycheck."

Hope this helps.