45 degrees, box line fans on

EmraldArcher

So the low today here in Orlando is 45 degrees. I imagine it couldn't have been much higher then that when I got to work at 5 am. I asked my supervisor to turn the fans on the box line off but he responded that he can't turn them off unless everyone wants them off (apparently they're all controlled by one switch) so I ended up working 4+ hours with an industrial fan blowing cold air directly into my face and was told to dress warmer tomorrow (never mind that wearing a sweatshirt isn't going to stop my face from being cold as ****).

Is this something I can bring to a shop steward?

I told them not to be surprised when I call in sick later in the week.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
They have to maintain temps appropriate to the weather conditions. I think I heard something about during the winter the temps have to be maintained above 55 degrees. Talk to your steward or BA.

L

Loufan

You should just go ask everyone and see what they think. I can't imagine anyone wanting those fans on unless they're in the back of a long box but even then i doubt it.

Nimnim

The Nim
Yep, there's 1 switch for each side of the boxline. Just go flip the switch yourself when going to your area, I'd doubt they'd turn it back on.

You can talk to a Steward about it, but I don't think there's much that can be done except just asking everyone if they want the fan off.

anonymous4

People who work and sweat find it necessary to keep the fans on in 45 degree weather. If you turned my fan off while I was sweating I'd turn it back on.

Nimnim

The Nim
Actually, last night they turned off the breaker to the fans that the irreg drivers enjoy while in the unload. It was low 50's I'd say but I got close to sweating a few times and the option to be able to turn on the fan would have been real nice.

It took some 20 years to get the fans in those areas, I want to enjoy them.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Next time its cold, bring your sweatshirt

This reminds me of that 1 person in the sort aisle who hates what station the radio is on !!!!

Toughen up and let the steward deal with UNION issues.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
High in the mid 40's in my neck of the woods today. Some big fan named Sandy expected to blow 30 to 40 mph gusts. Guess I'll have to dress for the weather. Maybe I'll talk to my steward and see if he can get Sandy turned off. You guys down south need to grow some thicker skin!

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I told them not to be surprised when I call in sick later in the week.

Call in sick?

I love it when coworkers toss idol warnings about "their health" and then call in sick.
We call it foreshadowing and in turn look at each other because we know they are planning to take a day off.
Congrads.
You just learned the fastest way to eliminate credibility and dependability from your name.

You don't get sick from a fan.

Thebrownstreak

Is there a fan that blows just on you? If so, nothing some cardboard and tape couldnt fix. One a side note, it's time to grow a pair Sally.

Nimnim

The Nim
Hey, lay off the poor guy a little. Just because some of you are used to getting snow in the winter doesn't mean everyone is.

Yeah, I don't usually put my light jacket on until it's in the 40s, but I can understand where they're coming from. It's common to find people in the Orlando area of Florida who are putting on long pants and heavy jackets when it's in the 50's here.

Our normal temperature in the hub overnight this past summer was at least 90 with all the belts and such running, how many are going to put up with that without fans?

Yeah, I think the guy should suck it up a little myself, but it can be annoying to be bundled up and still cold and have a fan blowing on the places you're not able to cover up properly (They don't like face coverings at my location, I asked a few years ago when we had lows in the mid teens and I have to go outside in the yard with the wind multiple times a night).

menotyou

bella amicizia
Hey, lay off the poor guy a little. Just because some of you are used to getting snow in the winter doesn't mean everyone is.

Yeah, I don't usually put my light jacket on until it's in the 40s, but I can understand where they're coming from. It's common to find people in the Orlando area of Florida who are putting on long pants and heavy jackets when it's in the 50's here.

Our normal temperature in the hub overnight this past summer was at least 90 with all the belts and such running, how many are going to put up with that without fans?

Yeah, I think the guy should suck it up a little myself, but it can be annoying to be bundled up and still cold and have a fan blowing on the places you're not able to cover up properly (They don't like face coverings at my location, I asked a few years ago when we had lows in the mid teens and I have to go outside in the yard with the wind multiple times a night).
I wore about 5 layers in the winter. When I was in the feeder, I would get down to my shorts and tank top on -20 days, but the minute you stopped, you had to throw something on cuz you started to freeze! No offense to the emerald wizard, but suck it up, dude!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Yep, they were on in the west center today as well. My favorite saying is, "its 40 somthing degrees and the fans are blowing!".

The statement about the fans, any soup or management person will tell you they arnt for you but for the cars. Such as when they're started, the fans blow the smoke away. Yet they are so damn dirty its hard to imagen them being of any use to that degree.

Find the switch! Im sure most will agree with you to keep them off. Afterwhile, working conditions will make you want to take your zip up off and even want the fans back on.