45 min video from higher ups / more bad news?

MAKAVELI

No. They need to streamline Express and pump the savings into contractors so we can afford to pay at least Express level compensation.
Or maybe combine express and ground into one and into a more efficient model. Cut out the middle man ( contractors ) and invest that money into pay and benefits for employees and infrastructure. Just what is your idea of streamlining express?

bbsam

Staff member
Well we already know alot of Express could be delivered by Ground anyway. Pickups is where the legal issues come up. Right there you could reduce the AM work force by a quarter to half.

Dex01

Banned
exactly...I'd say for every lead a courier is expected to turn in per week, that'll be the same number of hours the sales clowns can be expected to have their fat asses out there jockeying packages every week.

That's fair, right?????

This would be like the Coca-Cola Co. demanding it's drivers turn in X amount of sales leads per week, then having a good share of said leads getting siphoned off to Fanta (which is owned by Coca-Cola) and then beating the Coke guys over the head because Fanta is taking over the larger share of their soft drink market.... duhhhh

There is no bottom to the depths of ludicrousness this outfit will stoop.
Once upon a time I was the station's Lead On coordinator, and it was comical how ludicrously removed from reality the district folk were. We had a conference call during peak, and I mentioned how busy the drivers were, and that I doubted they would have time to get sales leads. The district coordinator said that I should just tell the drivers that peak represented "a golden opportunity" to increase package volume. I told her that sounded like a good idea, but I was thinking are you :censored2:ing crazy? I'm going to wind up in the station's dumpster if I say some stupid :censored2: like that during stretch and flex. It's funny that they always wondered why our station's participation was the lowest in the region when there was an instance of a driver turning in a lead that generated hundreds of thousands in revenue, and wound up getting $100. What was the rumored amount that the sales rep got? 50 :censored2:ing thousand! UNBELIEVABLE!

MAKAVELI

Well we already know alot of Express could be delivered by Ground anyway. Pickups is where the legal issues come up. Right there you could reduce the AM work force by a quarter to half.
Or they could fold ground operations into express creating smaller more condensed routes. Making it more easy to make service on premium services and more productive routes. Many ground terminals are located further away from ramps/ airports, making your argument worthless.

bbsam

Staff member
And alot of the "premium services" should go away anyway. Stupid marketin. 10:30 NDA, everything else straightlined.

MAKAVELI

If they folded anything, it would be Express into Ground. I'd be cool with that.
Much easier and financially viable to fold ground into express operations. But keep the pipe dream. I'm sure all the greedy little contractors are slobbering over that idea.

bbsam

Staff member
Much easier and financially viable to fold ground into express operations. But keep the pipe dream. I'm sure all the greedy little contractors are slobbering over that idea.
So for a decade they have pumped money into Ground and you think it would be easier to fold Ground into Express and risk the RLA and give up the contractor model? Uh, no.

MAKAVELI

So for a decade they have pumped money into Ground and you think it would be easier to fold Ground into Express and risk the RLA and give up the contractor model? Uh, no.
Giving up the RLA would happen no matter what by combining the two. There is much more $ invested in Express over the years. How many trucks could you buy for the cost of an airplane? Think about it.

bbsam

Staff member
But the profit domestically is on the Ground side going forward. Scaling back Express, buying fewer planes, more Ground trucks...think about it.

MAKAVELI

But the profit domestically is on the Ground side going forward. Scaling back Express, buying fewer planes, more Ground trucks...think about it.
Yes the ground side is more profitable. I'm well aware of the contractor scam and the profits it produces. My argument is FedEx could become a more efficient and service focused company by combining Ground into Express. Will it ever happen? Probably not. Not when the ultimate goal of the executives is to pump up that stock and cash in.

bbsam

Staff member
I wouldn't say that. They are growth focused. Look at the buying of planees as maintaining market share for the next 30 years. The fleet was getting old. Future growth in Ground can now be aggressively persued.