45% Of Doctors Would Consider Quitting If Congress Passes Health Care Overhaul

av8torntn

I could go on an on, but you pseudo libertarian/paulists are very small minded and not too bright and that is exactly the kind of people the corporations need here to get a health care bill defeated.

For the good of our Country we can only hope it will only take a few "paulists" to defeat this latest liberty grab by our government. My fear is that it will take more than just a few to defeat this government from their attempt at removing more freedoms from our health care choices.

I do wonder why the few like you that fear freedom insist on taking it from others.

I do wonder why the few like you think you should have the ability to make decisions about health care for others.

I do wonder why the few like you think it is somehow just to take money from others.

I do often wonder why when all facts are against everything you say you are often the ones who refer to others as small minded.

I do wonder why you small minded liberals fear corporations when they provide valuable goods and services to others.

fact check

For the good of our Country we can only hope it will only take a few "paulists" to defeat this latest liberty grab by our government. My fear is that it will take more than just a few to defeat this government from their attempt at removing more freedoms from our health care choices.

I do wonder why the few like you that fear freedom insist on taking it from others.

I do wonder why the few like you think you should have the ability to make decisions about health care for others.

I do wonder why the few like you think it is somehow just to take money from others.

I do often wonder why when all facts are against everything you say you are often the ones who refer to others as small minded.

I do wonder why you small minded liberals fear corporations when they provide valuable goods and services to others.
Obviously, the irony in quoting brett's post was lost on you.

Why would you deny health care for others?

I don't fear corporations, just don't want them determining whta health care I get.

brett636

Free market:
1.) Pay your healthinsurance after taxes. Don't let government subsidize you. (since others, with no company plan need to pay it with net income).
2.) Get rid of medicare and -aid. = Get your own insurance once you retire (if your lucky enough not to have a pre condition and an insurance will accept you).
3.) No more government subsidies for medical research, equiptment, facitlities or land.

Should bring you back to the middle age, but your already 50years behind any other industrial country - so no big deal.

Don't forget to get rid of the union, too. In your free market society they pay by performance, not everyone equally.

My government will be here for my lifetime. Can you say the same about UPS or even your hub ?
Maybe, have a bad month with 2 or 3 accidents, and your fired ?
Maybe hub shut down, or contracted out ?
Maybe, they'll drop the insurance plan ?
Who knows what the future may hold for 1 particular job or employer ?

I rather count on my government, then on a single job, anyday !

And on another note: Michael J Fox was interviewed on CBC last night, on a show called "The Hour".
He got briefly asked about the US heathcare debate.
He said he couldn't believe the hatred and anger it created.
He also says, he pays taxes and he expects some of his taxes to go to the less fortunate.
Couldn't believe babies are dying, because they don't get the care they need.
He also couldn't believe the Obama bashing going on. Gee, he's been elected, give it up !

The few words he said, reminded me soo much about a few BC threads on here.

Should the worst occur between me and UPS I have no doubt I can find another job with healthcare benefits so life can go on. Its not a major concern of mine. While I do not have any pre conditions, my dad is a diabetic and he has no trouble finding and holding onto health insurance. BTW, you are absolutly correct that you will have government health insurance up until your death. Right up to the point your government health services decides you are too old for that life saving surgery/treatment/drug, and you simply die. Its a fact of life when government simply cannot afford to shell out the money to keep you alive they choose your death for you. I guess that sits well with you, but in my case I have a pair of aging parents whom I would like to see stay around another couple of a decades or more. I fear with this healthcare bill their future care will be sacrificed so some hood rat and or illegal alien can give birth to its 12th child. Ann Coulter said it best when she says that unless something is in infinite supply it will be rationed, and government rationing is the most unequal form of rationing in this situation.

Last edited:

av8torntn

Why would you deny health care for others?

The real question is why would you deny health care for others? You are the one supporting the government takeover of health care. So you support the government making the decision on who gets what health care not the individual. Why are you so cruel as to want to deny health care to people.

brett636

Brett,

Care to explain exactly how 'Free Market' would work in medicine?

Will doctor's still be licensed to practice? Who will provide that license?

If it's a free market, will anyone be allowed to sell their 'medical services' to whomever is willing to pay?

If it's free market, will the insurance companies be allowed to exclude whomever they wish from coverage? Will they be subject to regulation?

Will drugs be regulated? Will the FDA still exist?

Will an individual be able to negotiate the best price for CT scan? Will they be allowed to pay what an insurance company has agreed to pay?

I could go on an on, but you pseudo libertarian/paulists are very small minded and not too bright and that is exactly the kind of people the corporations need here to get a health care bill defeated.

A lot of those issues would fix themselves if government would get out of the way. In one of Klien's previous posts he links to an article where it says German citizens have access to over 200 different health care plans. In this country we have 1500 health insurance companies, and if we allowed people to buy health insurance across state lines and allowed them to pay for it with pre tax dollars like their employers this could fix a lot of the problems we have with medical costs and health insurance today. Currently if an employer pays for a health insurance plan the employer is the owner of that policy. If we allowed the employee to be the owner of that policy they could take it with them when they leave. There are plenty of free market solutions to this situation, but as I stated earlier the people in Washington do not want to hear anything about free market solutions because it does not increase their power. If it doesn't increase the power of Washington then it is not considered.

klein

Für Meno :)
Should the worst occur between me and UPS I have no doubt I can find another job with healthcare benefits so life can go on. Its not a major concern of mine. While I do not have any pre conditions, my dad is a diabetic and he has no trouble finding and holding onto health insurance. BTW, you are absolutly correct that you will have government health insurance up until your death. Right up to the point your government health services decides you are too old for that life saving surgery/treatment/drug, and you simply die. Its a fact of life when government simply cannot afford to shell out the money to keep you alive they choose your death for you. I guess that sits well with you, but in my case I have a pair of aging parents whom I would like to see stay around another couple of a decades or more. I fear with this healthcare bill their future care will be sacrificed so some hood rat can give birth to its 12th child. Ann Coulter said it best when she says that unless something is in infinite supply it will be rationed, and government rationing is the most unequal form of rationing in this situation.

My mom lives in a small town of 2400 people. 2 and a half hours outside the city. She is 74 years old. Last year, she fell of her doorsteps. Ambulance took her to the town hospital, but they discovered she needed a hip surgery, that was to complicated for this little town to do.
So, after a day or 2 (xrays, and getting her ready for transport).
She was ambulanced all they way to the city.
Got her surgery done, recovered here for a week, then was ambulanced back all the way to the town hospital for further recovery.
Cost was ZERO, and she was well taken care of.
She has fully recovered, and walks as if nothing has ever happened to her.

Your dad lives in Massachusettes. You forgot to mention that. One of the very rare states, that insurance companies must obey state laws, and accept anyone. Regardless of pre conditions.

And why do you support insurance companies, you have shares in them ?
For every dollar you give them 20-24% goes on admistrative costs, and pay thier CEO's millions in bonuses. Plus ofcourse, they want some profit.
So, 70cents is all what they'll pay out.
Then you got profit takers all the way down the line,as well.
Also every medical office having extra staff, just to deal with the insurance paperwork.
When everything is done, all profits and admistrative costs are taken.
Maybe 25 cents are left on the dollar for the actual price of care.

When you shop for a charity, which one do you chose ? For profit, or non per profit ? Which one would you shop at ?

A goverment doesn't decide who gets care or not, it's the Doctor !
No questions asked. Unlike Insurance companies.

Last edited:

brett636

My mom lives in a small town of 2400 people. 2 and a half hours outside the city. She is 74 years old. Last year, she fell of her doorsteps. Ambulance took her to the town hospital, but they discovered she needed a hip surgery, that was to complicated for this little town to do.
So, after a day or 2 (xrays, and getting her ready for transport).
She was ambulanced all they way to the city.
Got her surgery done, recovered here for a week, then was ambulanced back all the way to the town hospital for further recovery.
Cost was ZERO, and she was well taken care of.
She has fully recovered, and walks as if nothing has ever happened to her.

Lets get something straight here, the cost to your mom was zero, but the cost of the surgery was not zero. Those doctors did not work for free, the building they did the surgery in was not free, the utilities, the supplies, the nurses, staff, etc, was not free. Somebody paid for that. The government used its taxation powers to take part of somebody else's life at gunpoint to pay for your mothers surgery. I am not familiar with the tax structure of Canada, but perhaps even your mother had to pay some extra taxes in order to support Canada's failing health care system. Just curious, but did your mom get a hip replacement? Last I checked the wait for a hip replacement in Canada is years. My grandfather received a hip replacement in less then a month once his doctor and him agreed it was necessary. He was 84 years old at the time.

Your dad lives in Massachusettes. You forgot to mention that. One of the very rare states, that insurance companies must obey state laws, and accept anyone. Regardless of pre conditions.

Lol, see what I mean by the whole small minded, less intelligent thing? I'm not sure if my dad even stepped foot in Massachussetts in his lifetime let alone live there.

klein

Lets get something straight here, the cost to your mom was zero, but the cost of the surgery was not zero. Those doctors did not work for free, the building they did the surgery in was not free, the utilities, the supplies, the nurses, staff, etc, was not free. Somebody paid for that. The government used its taxation powers to take part of somebody else's life at gunpoint to pay for your mothers surgery. I am not familiar with the tax structure of Canada, but perhaps even your mother had to pay some extra taxes in order to support Canada's failing health care system. Just curious, but did your mom get a hip replacement? Last I checked the wait for a hip replacement in Canada is years. My grandfather received a hip replacement in less then a month once his doctor and him agreed it was necessary. He was 84 years old at the time.

First of all, no waiting times for urgent care.
To be honest, I'm not sure if it was a total or partial hip replacement.
I know she has steel in her body now (is it for the connection, or plates to hold some of it together, that, I can't answer at the moment).
It was shattered in pieces, thats all I know.

And, no she didn't have to pay anything extra, nothing at all.
Our taxes pay for healthcare, by income taxes, and extra taxes on Cigarettes and Alcohol , (since those products are a major health risk).

I wouldn't call our heathcare failing, since we only spend $3000 per capita, and every single person is insured, where as in the US, it's $7000 per capita, and only 72% of the population insured.

Lets say we both had to pay it out of pocket every year. You pay $7000 for yourself, and $7000 each for every family member.
And, I pay $3000.
I could live with that, can you ? And remember, these numbers are just what the government spends on you.
So, you'ld still have to pay your insurance on top of that, but NOT me !

Our system was built as non per profit.
No insurance company taking a bite out of it, no middle man for medical supplies (Government supplies syringes, medication, MRI's, Hospital land and buildings ).
For supplies, including perscriptions, they shop in bulk, and distribute it (again no middle man to take profit on resale).

Only reason you think our system is failing, is because we have a waiting list for the non urgent procedures, and like every other country on earth, healthcare costs are rising faster then inflation.
Among with steady population growth (set a new record from 1972 this quarter ), and people living longer. It's not an easy task.

As far as being diabetic and getting US health insurance on your own.
Sure, it's possible, but at a higher rate, and a high deductable.
And, you'ld probably even be rejected at a few Insurers.

And just to fix one more myth.: No, illigal aliens can't get free healthcare here.
You need a Healthcard. To get one of them, you'ld need one of our Social Security Cards (like your greencard).
I misplaced my Healthcare card actually.. just noticed that the other day. Now I need to go to a registry office with 2 pieces of ID, including proof of Canadian Citizenship (my birthcertificate) to get a new one.

Last edited:

fact check

The real question is why would you deny health care for others? You are the one supporting the government takeover of health care. So you support the government making the decision on who gets what health care not the individual. Why are you so cruel as to want to deny health care to people.

Where do you get the idea that a choice and a public option would be government takeover of the health care system?

You are badly mistaken as to how a public option would work.

Why do you want insurance companies to decide who gets health care?

Do you think they have your best interests at heart?

klein

Where do you get the idea that a choice and a public option would be government takeover of the health care system?

Let me get this finally straight.
There is no government decisions here to be made. The Doctors alone make them !
There are extra ordinary cases, where government approval is needed.
And thats if someone needs for example an organ transplant, and the soonest match they can find is in the USA.
Then the government will need to approve those costs. (travel, US hospital and surgery costs).

Other then that, Doctors decide how urgent your case is.

It bugs me, the Cdn system is being compared to us dying here.
A few stupid, misleading, republican commercials.
While it's a proven fact 18.000 US citizens die per year, due to no access to medical services.
I think Canada had 2 or 3 deaths in the past 5 or 6 years, but only because they were misdiagnosed, and either had to wait or got sent back home.
It happens everywhere.
1 out of 100 million chance.

av8torntn

1) Past performance. We already have a public option called Medicare and as you know one has no choice. Obama has also claimed that he was a supporter of a single payer system so should we not take him at his word?

2) I am either not badly mistaken or either Obama is badly mistaken as he has said before that the government takeover to a single payer plan has to be gradual as by the way did H. Clinton which both have said is their goal. So I suppose you want to tell me they were not telling the truth about that but...... Come on do not be a small minded fool. The goal is to create a taxpayer subsidized system that is cheap enough to convince a company to switch to. This is also what our government says will happen.

3) I want the choice to pay myself or to pick the insurance company which I want. This is not the system we have now and is not the system you and our government is pushing for as you very well should know.

4) I do not care if someone else has my best interests at heart as I have my best interests at heart and do not want you or anyone else taking my freedoms in the name of protecting me. If I make a contract with a health insurance company and they do not live up to it I have the option of the court system but if the government has my insurance and they do not live up to their part of the contract I have lost the court system option. Some competition. Another thing on your false competition claim. How can it be competition if you must confiscate my money in the form of taxes to make it work?

Why do you think the government wants to take over health care? We can all I think agree that it is not to help people.

Why do you think Obama has fed you these false stories of people denied coverage by insurance companies? We can all I think agree that it is not to help people.

Why do you think Obama has falsely claimed that it would not increase the nation debt?

Why do you think if government health care is so great that any doctors trained in Canada would leave and come practice in the US?

Why do you think that in the US the longest wait times for health care are in the places that the government has the most interference? For goodness sakes just look at what is happening in Boston they are in crisis mode.

I can go on and on but I assume you will spout out more of the small minded dribble and slogans coming from the left on this issue.

brett636

First of all, no waiting times for urgent care.
To be honest, I'm not sure if it was a total or partial hip replacement.
I know she has steel in her body now (is it for the connection, or plates to hold some of it together, that, I can't answer at the moment).
It was shattered in pieces, thats all I know.

And, no she didn't have to pay anything extra, nothing at all.
Our taxes pay for healthcare, by income taxes, and extra taxes on Cigarettes and Alcohol , (since those products are a major health risk).

I wouldn't call our heathcare failing, since we only spend $3000 per capita, and every single person is insured, where as in the US, it's $7000 per capita, and only 72% of the population insured.

Lets say we both had to pay it out of pocket every year. You pay $7000 for yourself, and $7000 each for every family member.
And, I pay $3000.
I could live with that, can you ? And remember, these numbers are just what the government spends on you.
So, you'ld still have to pay your insurance on top of that, but NOT me !

Our system was built as non per profit.
No insurance company taking a bite out of it, no middle man for medical supplies (Government supplies syringes, medication, MRI's, Hospital land and buildings ).
For supplies, including perscriptions, they shop in bulk, and distribute it (again no middle man to take profit on resale).

Only reason you think our system is failing, is because we have a waiting list for the non urgent procedures, and like every other country on earth, healthcare costs are rising faster then inflation.
Among with steady population growth (set a new record from 1972 this quarter ), and people living longer. It's not an easy task.

As far as being diabetic and getting US health insurance on your own.
Sure, it's possible, but at a higher rate, and a high deductable.
And, you'ld probably even be rejected at a few Insurers.

And just to fix one more myth.: No, illigal aliens can't get free healthcare here.
You need a Healthcard. To get one of them, you'ld need one of our Social Security Cards (like your greencard).
I misplaced my Healthcare card actually.. just noticed that the other day. Now I need to go to a registry office with 2 pieces of ID, including proof of Canadian Citizenship (my birthcertificate) to get a new one.

I know what you mean about the whole non urgent procedures thing. Somebody needing chemo therapy should have to wait an average of 77 days for treatment because their condition is so non urgent. They just have cancer, no reason to rush to treat it. :knockedout:

klein

You know I do agree with some points AV8tornten and Brett are making.
Like states, (as Mass), to do a quickfix and make it mandatory to have insurance coverage is nonsense. For many citizens almost unaffordable.
And it overloads the system basically overnight,also leaves the city, state, and feds only with larger bills to pay (more paramedics, ambulances, Hospitals, and operating costs, etc). Nevermind subsidies for the poor.

While the insurance companies have 25% more cliental, using up another 20% on administrative costs, plus skimming another 10% profit, then probably use that to build another office skyscraper and more CEO bonuses.
Paying out only 70 cents to each dollar.
They don't return anything towards the supply of new facilities or Doctors.
That bill has to be footed by the governments. (While, ofcourse they don't collect a penny more, and have nothing to do financially with the distribution, besides paying and funding for it).

So, I guess no matter what the outcome might be.
It's a no win situation.

America just doesn't have the resources or money to fund healthcare for everyone.
Even keeping it as it is, is unsubstainable.

It's doomed.

Last edited:

brett636

You know I do agree with some points AV8tornten and Brett are making.
Like states, (as Mass), to do a quickfix and make it mandatory to have insurance coverage is nonsense. For many citizens almost unaffordable.
And it overloads the system basically overnight,also leaves the city, state, and feds only with larger bills to pay (more paramedics, ambulances, Hospitals, and operating costs, etc). Nevermind subsidies for the poor.

While the insurance companies have 25% more cliental, using up another 20% on administrative costs, plus skimming another 10% profit, then probably use that to build another office skyscraper and more CEO bonuses.
Paying out only 70 cents to each dollar.
They don't return anything towards the supply of new facilities or Doctors.
That bill has to be footed by the governments. (While, ofcourse they don't collect a penny more, and have nothing to do financially with the distribution, besides paying and funding for it).

So, I guess no matter what the outcome might be.
It's a no win situation.

America just doesn't have the resources or money to fund healthcare for everyone.
Even keeping it as it is, is unsubstainable.

It's doomed.

FYI, insurance companies have an average profit margin of 2%. Just thought you would like to know!

wkmac

Brett,

Care to explain exactly how 'Free Market' would work in medicine?

That would be determined by the conditions agreed to between doctor and patient.

Will doctor's still be licensed to practice?

Not by the State!

Who will provide that license?

Any non-State entity or let the customer determine or demand background assurances.

If it's a free market, will anyone be allowed to sell their 'medical services' to whomever is willing to pay?

Yes!

If it's free market, will the insurance companies be allowed to exclude whomever they wish from coverage?

Yes!

Will they be subject to regulation?

No but then they can't use regulation to cartel markets either keeping out competition nor can they have alliances with healthcare corporations and drug companies to control and profit from State protected markets either. Orthodox medicines could no longer dominate alternative forms and use the State to keep them out of the market place. $10k hospital births if one chooses could be replaced with $1k to $2k home births. My wife choose this method for our 4 kids and it was great. Glad I overcame my fear and followed her lead!

Will drugs be regulated?

No!

Will the FDA still exist?

No!

Will an individual be able to negotiate the best price for CT scan?

Yes! They can't do this now because the gov't has a floor on pricing because of medicare, medicaid, SCHIPS plus the fact that the gov't sanctioned private banking system has a monolopy on money that encourages inflation and a lessening dollar value rather than the other way around. Another major reason healthcare cost are going up.

Will they be allowed to pay what an insurance company has agreed to pay?

Probably less becuase insurance would no loner have gov't to portect it's ndustry monopoly. Higher prices mean higher premiums and then build in hurdles to protect the payout window to maximize profits. Insurance and medical/drug cartel win at both ends.

Fear is the mind killer! Actually corporations hate true free marketeers because that state sanctioned entitlement would also end. No sch thing as corp. status in a true free market as that status alone grants a priviledge not available freely to all market players. Even UPS, FedEx and Teamsters would hate a true free market as just anyone could grab a truck and start moving merchandise from point A to point B. I'm not sure Brett and the others are willing to go that far. Me? Oh yes I am!

The Health-Insurance Market Is Not Free

fact check

FYI, insurance companies have an average profit margin of 2%. Just thought you would like to know!

Actually over 3%, wonder if this is why?

Just thought you'd like to know!

Ins. Co. & CEO With 2007 Total CEO Compensation

* Aetna Ronald A. Williams: $23,045,834
* Cigna H. Edward Hanway: $25,839,777
* Coventry Dale B. Wolf : $14,869,823
* Health Net Jay M. Gellert: $3,686,230
* Humana Michael McCallister: $10,312,557
* U.Health Grp Stephen J. Hemsley: $13,164,529
* WellPoint Angela Braly (2007): $9,094,271
L. Glasscock (2006): $23,886,169

Ins. Co. & CEO With 2008 Total CEO Compensation

* Aetna, Ronald A. Williams: $24,300,112
* Cigna, H. Edward Hanway: $12,236,740
* Coventry, Dale Wolf: $9,047,469
* Health Net, Jay Gellert: $4,425,355
* Humana, Michael McCallister: $4,764,309
* U. Health Group, Stephen J. Hemsley: $3,241,042
* Wellpoint, Angela Braly: $9,844,212

av8torntn

"Full year per-share earnings dropped by 14% for WellPoint, which saw the most modest drop among the seven, and by 48% at Health Net, with most of the other companies falling in between. Cigna saw an unusually steep drop in profits, mostly due to losses in life insurance and retirement policies it no longer sells but continues to operate. As a result, its profits for the year were 72% lower than in 2007."

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2009/02/23/bisa0223.htm

klein

And remember, net profits ! After all expentures, bonuses, new buildings, sponsorship, advertising, etc.

But, republicans are eager to keep the Insurance Industry very much alive, (not that they can't make enough thru home, auto, life, etc).

From CNN:

However, Republican Sen. Charles Grassley of Iowa said a public option means the government eventually taking over the health care system.
"A government-run plan will ultimately force private insurers out of business," Grassley said, adding that the federal government would run the plan and run the market in which the plan competes.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/29/senate.public.option/index.html

Full year per-share earnings dropped by 14% for WellPoint, which saw the most modest drop among the seven, and by 48% at Health Net, with most of the other companies falling in between. Cigna saw an unusually steep drop in profits, mostly due to losses in life insurance and retirement policies it no longer sells but continues to operate. As a result, its profits for the year were 72% lower than in 2007."

Sorry to hear that, but didn't UPS PROFITS drop by 50% ?
Must be a recession going around ?

brett636

I'm sure that if those CEO's were not worth that much those companies would not be paying them as much as they do. Their compensation is of no concern to me, and I applaud them for proving they are worth the millions they are paid.