45 yr old considering PT Handler job for benefits. Some questions & input desired...

yurgref

Re: 45 yr old considering PT Handler job for benefits. Some questions & input desired

After Oct 1 it is a season hire or temp worker, better to get hired Jan 1.

Last time I knew they eliminated Seasonal Temp Status for Part Timers with the current Contract ( at least in the NorCal )

Re: 45 yr old considering PT Handler job for benefits. Some questions & input desired

Last time I knew they eliminated Seasonal Temp Status for Part Timers with the current Contract ( at least in the NorCal )

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by all the posts saying it has to be seasonal after 01 Oct. On the UPS jobs website, the driver and driver's helper jobs say clearly that they're seasonal, the handler jobs say part time- no mention of seasonal. hmmm...

I started in my mid-30's on the unload, then to preload and now sorting. I sort and PAL mainly smalls but handle heavy bags of them and fill in wherever they need a body.

They didn't think I'd make it when I started but have held my own for almost 15 years. Not as fast as most of the younger, stronger ones but know the operation, use common sense and am consistent.

We now have a man in his 40's on the unload and he's doing a very good job. Doesn't screw around like some of the youngsters.

As far as insurance, like it was said, it can differ. There is a master contract and then supplements for different regions. Makes it very confusiing. My husband was injured at work and the comp insurance company (auto owners, beware all!) really screwed him over. I didn't call Aetna for a year, even though he was in pain, because I didn't think they'd cover pre-existing. When I did call they said it would have been covered right after comp was done with him! They have since paid and paid for his treatment without a peep.

I've never seen a detailed benefits book and it's like pulling teeth to get info from the company. I called Aetna myself and got accurate information and much support.

Showing up on time everyday and being willing to do what you're asked is the best way to assure that they keep you on. If you start now you're heading into peak and it will be hellish but just keep plugging away and control your temper.

PT management is for folks who can stay comfy and controlled while stuck between a rock and hard place. Upper management is screaming for numbers while, at the same time, you're trying to get many sloths to move their asses. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Your military experience would probably help but these kids are not made of the same stuff as army men. Most of them wouldn't pee on someone if they were on fire.

Go ahead and give it a try, most they can do is let you go and that may be a blessiing if you're struggling with it. You will become physically stronger and very proud of yourself for a good job that you do. Don't ever expect atta boys out of management. Your self-esteem must come from within. Good luck and let us know how it goes. dw

thanks to you, and everyone, who has taken the time to reply to my questions- i very much appreciate it. thanks for the detail on why PT Sup isn't so great. If i do go to work for UPS, i'll be pretty aware of what the sup goes thru and will be able to gauge whether it's something i'd want to deal with- probably not though! am i correct that the 'toughest' place to start would be the early am pre-load shift (3am-8am or whatever)? seems like all shifts are up on the job site now, what would you go after if you schedule permitted any shift? there's a mid day shift that would be great, but i'm pretty flexible schedule-wise.

Air Hub

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by all the posts saying it has to be seasonal after 01 Oct. On the UPS jobs website, the driver and driver's helper jobs say clearly that they're seasonal, the handler jobs say part time- no mention of seasonal. hmmm...

I went back and looked in the book and it is only full time temporary employees that are called seasonal employees. It is in a supplemental agreement for the 11 western states (article 5).

That being said I have heard talk of hiring extra P/T workers for peak and then laying them off after Xmas, or just keeping the good ones around. Here there is a 90 day probation period, so they dont need a reason to let you go.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

Hello and welcome to the Brown Cafe (and maybe UPS itself). Allow me to share what I've learned from nearly 3 yrs in a Hub (and from forums like this and the Local and International Unions). For perspective, I started at age 35 as a seasonal hire looking to make some $ (and try something different) while laid off. While there is a National Master Contract, there are many variations due to local and regional supplements, riders, and addenda (or in my case, a completely separate contract). Hence the wide variation in responses. My two cents to your original post and other points in this thread:
  1. Here, basic Health & Prescription coverage (provided by UPS, not the Local Union for part-timers) comes after you attain seniority (work through a trial or employment-at-will time period). It could be 30 or 40 working days, or xx amount of days in a 90 calendar period-varies. Only after 3 years will I receive Dental, Vision, & Dependent coverage.
  2. Pre-existing condition? Not really an issue for me, but I was under the impression most employers will provide you coverage up front, only excluding major pre-existing conditions for a longer time.
  3. Bennies book? Nah, not until you're made your bones. Part of the problem is (at least for me), there was more than one provider to choose from. I went with BCBS over the provider UPS was subtly pushing. There is some info. on the meager pension in the NMA elsewhere on this site
  4. Age discrimination? No. Heck, I'm probably the best overall in my area and next area over is a guy who first worked here in the 70's, and ended up here again last year (and while I haven't spoken in depth with him, a big part of it is the health bennies, I believe he's looking to get some work done on his right hand, pre-existing, something like a break that maybe wasn't properly treated at the time).
  5. Dock-worker sounds like it would be with one of the recently acquired companies, now UPS Cartage or UPS Freight. I would go directly to them with questions, I don't believe UPS Package employment/HR people have been cross-trained (or motivated) in those operations-we can't seem to get enough people for our Hubs & Centers.
  6. PT Supe, personally I was first asked on my first or second day of actual work to submit a letter of intent. Yeah, it would about double the money, and here they incentivize (is that a word?) by offering full benefits initially, plus $4k (vs. $3k for hourly empl.) Earn&Learn tuition assistance. There's generally a good reason PT Supe positions are vacant, I'd recommend 3-6 mos. or at least one PEAK season (officially Thanksgiving through Xmas) to get the lay of the land. For instance in my Hub, I can see I'd be there at least 30 hours/wk as a supe, and who's to say I'd even be in this Hub, they could say: Congratulation, you've been promoted to supe. Report monday to xyzst Center 50 miles away. And without a college degree, I just don't believe I would ever advance beyond pt supe in the corporate culture that developed since UPS went public. Although with your posted background, I can already see you would probably be a vast improvement (I'm on my fifth regular pt supe, fourth sort manager for that matter).
As far as the work, it's as much mental determination and technique as it is muscle, in fact I've heard it said muscles can be a detriment-too many muscles, you use up too much energy to make it through the shift. You'll work like a man possessed through the trial/seniority period: hot showers or baths, pain relievers/anti-inflamatories, staying hydrated will help. After you make seniority, work as hard as you can, keeping in mind it's going to be in your and UPS' best interest to not get hurt, so you can go do it all over again the next day/week/mo. etc.
Here you could be hired on as seasonal or for permanent status. I screwed up by not going for the permanent status initially, if for no other reason than I had to pay union inititiation fees twice. I doubt benefits would be offered to seasonal help.
If at all possible, make sure you get all your answers from UPS employment/HR in writing! Make sure your business schedule and UPS shift times allow plenty of time for commuting, traffic, a light meal or snack, changing (showering if you have the AM shift @ UPS and need to look presentable for your customers). If your business also peaks concurrently with the UPS Thanksgiving(really august/september)-Xmas, this probably isn't for you. However, it's my understanding the freight business peaks over the summer (the dockworker jobs you mentioned). Also, the advertised shift times seem to be merely early/late guidelines for starting non-peak, shifts don't end until the work is done, ask for a more realistic estimate-HR probably won't know, there may be a "tour" as part of the hiring process, with real, live UPSers, outside the rarified atmosphere of HR. If you do hire on as an hourly, you'll most likely be put to work loading or unloading, wherever they need a body. After a while (should be 6 mos. according to the labor contract), you should be allowed to move to a different position as they open up. Some jobs entail memorizing long lists of states/zip codes for sorting the packages and receive an additional $1/hr. If you're mostly in it for the bennies, you'll want to be unloading the trailers or doing the (primary) sorting of the boxes as they're unloaded. These workers start first (by anywhere from 5-15min.) and finish way earliest (on my twilight shift they might be done 9-9:30, whereas as a loader/ "backup" pickoff I'm rarely off the clock by 10 PM; often I'm out the gate @11,11:30 or midnight). The contract calls for a guaranteed minimum of 3.5 hours per day, but as an unloader/primary sorter, if the work's all done the supes generally want to get employees off the clock ASAP, regardless of your actual time worked, just find out if you need a minimum # of hours to maintain bennies/seniority. Alternatively, consider bidding into a part-time Air service package driver. It's much more money (though not when you start), and only 3 hour minimum, and probably better working conditions, though potentially more stressful with pickup/delivery commitment times to meet, while having to drive through traffic and deal with the customers.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

thanks to you, and everyone, who has taken the time to reply to my questions- i very much appreciate it. thanks for the detail on why PT Sup isn't so great. If i do go to work for UPS, i'll be pretty aware of what the sup goes thru and will be able to gauge whether it's something i'd want to deal with- probably not though! am i correct that the 'toughest' place to start would be the early am pre-load shift (3am-8am or whatever)? seems like all shifts are up on the job site now, what would you go after if you schedule permitted any shift? there's a mid day shift that would be great, but i'm pretty flexible schedule-wise.
The best shift for you is the one that will fit into the rest of your day, that you can show up on time for, allowing for traffic, changing clothes(dirty/dusty conditions), a snack or light meal. I work an evening twilight shift (5-10pm), and find it tough to go into a 53' metal box that's been baking in the sun all day in the summer heat to jump around stacking boxes, and cold in the winter (really only my hands-if I wore thick enough gloves to keep them warm it would drastically slow down my use of the bar code scanner). I'd love to try early pre-load (loading the delivery trucks), but there is little or no flexibility on changing shifts, with preference given to students.For that matter I'd love to transfer buildings. All shifts are tough-they push back start times according to the "estimated"(usually low) # of packages and number of loaders/average minimum loading rate. The unloaders and primary sorters are pushed to the limit, creating big messes wherever there's more than reasonable flow, not to mention late or no-show employees (inevitable in a company this size). So the standards of sorting and loading fall to side to get the delivery trucks and tractor trailers on the road, but of course you'll get lectured by supes the next day (preloaders) or 1-5 days later (trailer loaders) when mistakes make their way onto the managers' reports. If you're unloading or sorting, I would imagine it's easiest on the twilight sorts, dealing with trailers of packages loaded by the shippers, rather than packages that have gone through one or more of our sorting operations or our loaders.

Hello and welcome to the Brown Cafe (and maybe UPS itself). Allow me to share what I've learned from nearly 3 yrs in a Hub (and from forums like this and the Local and International Unions). For perspective, I started at age 35 as a seasonal hire looking to make some $ (and try something different) while laid off. While there is a National Master Contract, there are many variations due to local and regional supplements, riders, and addenda (or in my case, a completely separate contract). Hence the wide variation in responses. My two cents to your original post and other points in this thread:
  1. Here, basic Health & Prescription coverage (provided by UPS, not the Local Union for part-timers) comes after you attain seniority (work through a trial or employment-at-will time period). It could be 30 or 40 working days, or xx amount of days in a 90 calendar period-varies. Only after 3 years will I receive Dental, Vision, & Dependent coverage.
  2. Pre-existing condition? Not really an issue for me, but I was under the impression most employers will provide you coverage up front, only excluding major pre-existing conditions for a longer time.
  3. Bennies book? Nah, not until you're made your bones. Part of the problem is (at least for me), there was more than one provider to choose from. I went with BCBS over the provider UPS was subtly pushing. There is some info. on the meager pension in the NMA elsewhere on this site
  4. Age discrimination? No. Heck, I'm probably the best overall in my area and next area over is a guy who first worked here in the 70's, and ended up here again last year (and while I haven't spoken in depth with him, a big part of it is the health bennies, I believe he's looking to get some work done on his right hand, pre-existing, something like a break that maybe wasn't properly treated at the time).
  5. Dock-worker sounds like it would be with one of the recently acquired companies, now UPS Cartage or UPS Freight. I would go directly to them with questions, I don't believe UPS Package employment/HR people have been cross-trained (or motivated) in those operations-we can't seem to get enough people for our Hubs & Centers.
  6. PT Supe, personally I was first asked on my first or second day of actual work to submit a letter of intent. Yeah, it would about double the money, and here they incentivize (is that a word?) by offering full benefits initially, plus $4k (vs. $3k for hourly empl.) Earn&Learn tuition assistance. There's generally a good reason PT Supe positions are vacant, I'd recommend 3-6 mos. or at least one PEAK season (officially Thanksgiving through Xmas) to get the lay of the land. For instance in my Hub, I can see I'd be there at least 30 hours/wk as a supe, and who's to say I'd even be in this Hub, they could say: Congratulation, you've been promoted to supe. Report monday to xyzst Center 50 miles away. And without a college degree, I just don't believe I would ever advance beyond pt supe in the corporate culture that developed since UPS went public. Although with your posted background, I can already see you would probably be a vast improvement (I'm on my fifth regular pt supe, fourth sort manager for that matter).
As far as the work, it's as much mental determination and technique as it is muscle, in fact I've heard it said muscles can be a detriment-too many muscles, you use up too much energy to make it through the shift. You'll work like a man possessed through the trial/seniority period: hot showers or baths, pain relievers/anti-inflamatories, staying hydrated will help. After you make seniority, work as hard as you can, keeping in mind it's going to be in your and UPS' best interest to not get hurt, so you can go do it all over again the next day/week/mo. etc.
Here you could be hired on as seasonal or for permanent status. I screwed up by not going for the permanent status initially, if for no other reason than I had to pay union inititiation fees twice. I doubt benefits would be offered to seasonal help.
If at all possible, make sure you get all your answers from UPS employment/HR in writing! Make sure your business schedule and UPS shift times allow plenty of time for commuting, traffic, a light meal or snack, changing (showering if you have the AM shift @ UPS and need to look presentable for your customers). If your business also peaks concurrently with the UPS Thanksgiving(really august/september)-Xmas, this probably isn't for you. However, it's my understanding the freight business peaks over the summer (the dockworker jobs you mentioned). Also, the advertised shift times seem to be merely early/late guidelines for starting non-peak, shifts don't end until the work is done, ask for a more realistic estimate-HR probably won't know, there may be a "tour" as part of the hiring process, with real, live UPSers, outside the rarified atmosphere of HR. If you do hire on as an hourly, you'll most likely be put to work loading or unloading, wherever they need a body. After a while (should be 6 mos. according to the labor contract), you should be allowed to move to a different position as they open up. Some jobs entail memorizing long lists of states/zip codes for sorting the packages and receive an additional $1/hr. If you're mostly in it for the bennies, you'll want to be unloading the trailers or doing the (primary) sorting of the boxes as they're unloaded. These workers start first (by anywhere from 5-15min.) and finish way earliest (on my twilight shift they might be done 9-9:30, whereas as a loader/ "backup" pickoff I'm rarely off the clock by 10 PM; often I'm out the gate @11,11:30 or midnight). The contract calls for a guaranteed minimum of 3.5 hours per day, but as an unloader/primary sorter, if the work's all done the supes generally want to get employees off the clock ASAP, regardless of your actual time worked, just find out if you need a minimum # of hours to maintain bennies/seniority. Alternatively, consider bidding into a part-time Air service package driver. It's much more money (though not when you start), and only 3 hour minimum, and probably better working conditions, though potentially more stressful with pickup/delivery commitment times to meet, while having to drive through traffic and deal with the customers.

ummm.... WOW! it was exceedingly kind of you to give such a thorough answer to my questions in your 2 posts- THANK YOU! very useful information about everything. i will be calling the Teamsters tomorrow to try to glean info on what the benefits timetable/rules are in my area. thanks again, Hondo.

ovid

One of our fastest unloaders ever is in his mid forties (although he works out in addition to unloading). We also have a lot of other guys that age working as loaders, and doing a great job.

You would probably get more of a workout, as well as be able to leave a bit earlier, if you worked as an unloader. And around here, I think it is 90 days until you get benefits.

UPS Lifer

Go and fill out an application and they should be able to answer all your questions there. I don't ever remember filling out a questionnaire about health conditions, but it may have changed. You can handle it at 45, just pace yourself. Good Luck

Everbody gave you some good info but because it can be different throughout the country you should go into Human Resources (HR) they can answer all your questions for the area you will get hired in. Bring some of the info you have learned and be specific with your questions. Hey - you even got good advice about working for an airline!!! You get discounted airfare after a period of time also!!

The least amount of wear and tear starting position is unloading. The company cannot guarentee you that position. You need to unload at approx 1000 packages an hour.

After your initial classroom training - when you are by yourself - the first week can be compared to "hell week" in football. Get through that and the sore muscles and you will have it made. After 6 months learning the job you may want to look at a PT or Steward position. Your maturity will benefit you in a leadership role. Good Luck

Bigger buildings have more movement more opportunity - a lot of different jobs to offer.
Smaller buildings less positions and movement but can offer a look into what UPS was when it was a smaller company.

Last edited:

HazMatMan

Been lurking, time to step up. I have my own business, which I enjoy, and I make OK money but no health insurance- even minor pre-existing conditions get you declined or make it crazy expensive when you're self employed. So, I'm considering part time Brown. Can I trouble you all with a few questions...

1. Am I correct that health insurance would start after 30 days? what about dental?

2. Is there a pre-existing conditions clause in the health insurance which makes you wait 3/6/12 months before they will cover them? (this one is very important to me)

3. Is there a detailed benefits book that I could download (I assume not, but doesn't hurt to ask)?

4. I've spent hours reading posts here and it sounds like the consensus opinion is that anyone willing to work with a pulse can get hired as a handler. What about a 45 year old pulse? Will my age keep me from even getting an interview?

5. There are dockworker jobs in my area too- any pros/cons for one over another (I assume the dockworker job is non-union- yes?).

6. I understand that seniority rules @ UPS, but I read posts that PT Sup jobs are hard to fill in some locations. Are the PT Sup jobs that bad? Why? Wondering how long it would take to be considered for a PT Sup job. If it matters, long ago I served as an officer in the Army (I was an enlisted man first, so I paid my dues).

I am in reasonable shape, sit all day for my regular work- i don't mind physical work (trying to view it in a positive light as a paid alternative to going to the gym). Anyone know any guys around my age doing this job? Did they survive?!

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Go for it, benefits are very important nowadays, I wouldn't do the sup thing, too stressful, since you have a business and make money you just need to work at UPS for the benefits, you don't need the added stress of being management.. That's my opinion...It's better to do your 4 or 5 hours and get the heck out of there...

LKLND3380

1. Am I correct that health insurance would start after 30 days? what about dental?

Here in Central Florida it is 90 work days... If you are hired after October 1 - that is seasonal temp work. So if you are asked to stay on past January 1 - Your OFFICIAL start date is January just like you were hired off the street, the seasonal has no meaning towrads seniority or insurance. Your insurance will not kick in till about April/May and vision kicks in at 120 days. Dental kicks in after your first year...

2. Is there a pre-existing conditions clause in the health insurance which makes you wait 3/6/12 months before they will cover them? (this one is very important to me)

Not that I know of...

3. Is there a detailed benefits book that I could download (I assume not, but doesn't hurt to ask)?

Not that I know of...

4. I've spent hours reading posts here and it sounds like the consensus opinion is that anyone willing to work with a pulse can get hired as a handler. What about a 45 year old pulse? Will my age keep me from even getting an interview?

I have seen people start in their 50s... Expect a lot of aches and pains - Do you have any symptoms of arthritus?

5. There are dockworker jobs in my area too- any pros/cons for one over another (I assume the dockworker job is non-union- yes?).

At UPS most of the hourly jobs are Union and Management is non Union...

6. I understand that seniority rules @ UPS, but I read posts that PT Sup jobs are hard to fill in some locations. Are the PT Sup jobs that bad? Why? Wondering how long it would take to be considered for a PT Sup job. If it matters, long ago I served as an officer in the Army (I was an enlisted man first, so I paid my dues).

You can walk in today and get a PT Supe job...

Why it is hard to keep a PT Supe is accountability. The Supes are blamed for just about everything and they have NO UNION PROTECTION. I watched a Center Manager ream a PT Supe over employee cars parked in the parking lot.

I am in reasonable shape, sit all day for my regular work- i don't mind physical work (trying to view it in a positive light as a paid alternative to going to the gym). Anyone know any guys around my age doing this job? Did they survive?!

We had a guy start last year who looks to be 55 and the year before that a woman in her late 40s... Both were asked to stay on past January 1

LKLND3380

so, to be clear, if i worked 5 days/week, it would take 14 weeks to get past probation and then, from that date, 30 more days until i would be eligible for benefits? so, 5 months without benefits but you start paying union dues from the get go?

Anyone hired between October 1 and December 31 is seasonal and does not pay Union dues they can not join the Union as well...

Anyone hired between January 1 and September 30 may join the Union after woring 30 days...

I was hired as a season and asked to stay on... My health benefits did not start until mid April or May (been a while).

LKLND3380

hmmm, another data point. i guess i would have thought, being a union contract, that it would be the same everywhere. since it's been posted that the benefits are actually thru the teamsters, i'll call the local teamsters on monday and hope to get a definitive answer.

wonder if it's significantly different yet again for dockworkers/UPS freight. anyone know?

The Union has a Master Agreement with UPS and has suppliments to the agreement that are specific to each region. Some state laws my put restrictions on health care and such...

UPS Freight is non union at this time... UPS has many different divisons and the brown trucks that show up at your home is "Parcel and Small Package Divison" UPS bought Overnight Freight and now the Teamsters are working to organize UPS Freight...

LKLND3380

am i correct that the 'toughest' place to start would be the early am pre-load shift (3am-8am or whatever)? seems like all shifts are up on the job site now, what would you go after if you schedule permitted any shift? there's a mid day shift that would be great, but i'm pretty flexible schedule-wise.

Preload is rough but your days are free... You work during the coolest part of the day but in the winter it is the coldest... I have seen new hires start and walk out after three hours...

Anyone hired between October 1 and December 31 is seasonal and does not pay Union dues they can not join the Union as well...

Anyone hired between January 1 and September 30 may join the Union after woring 30 days...

I was hired as a season and asked to stay on... My health benefits did not start until mid April or May (been a while).

first, thanks for the extensive replies to my questions. you're another of several here who have been very generous with your time helping a stranger- thank you.

it's odd that UPS is maintaining that the handler positions are regular hire and the driver's helper and other jobs are 'seasonal'. i am putting in an application today- that's the first question i'll ask. logically, i imagine you're right- why hire a 'permanent' when you've got many 'auditioning' for jobs as seasonals. only chance is that they are so low staffed now that they want/need committed employees now (possible, as the starting wage is below mcdonalds here in CA.

spoke to the local union rep (who was very nice and helpful)...

benefits start 4 months after hire (unless seasonal). all benefits start at the same time (health, dental, vision). no pre-existing condition clause. choice of health plan are limited the 1st year- after that, you have full choices @ open enrollment.

i am going to apply. there are several locations in my area with openings- i guess i'll apply at 3 of them since they're all about the same distance from home. have any of you done that? ie: applied to several locations and checked each out- wondering whether UPS frowns on that...

18wheelbrownie

spoke to the local union rep (who was very nice and helpful)...

benefits start 4 months after hire (unless seasonal). all benefits start at the same time (health, dental, vision). no pre-existing condition clause. choice of health plan are limited the 1st year- after that, you have full choices @ open enrollment.

i am going to apply. there are several locations in my area with openings- i guess i'll apply at 3 of them since they're all about the same distance from home. have any of you done that? ie: applied to several locations and checked each out- wondering whether UPS frowns on that...

go to fedex! there nicer people!:lol:

18wheelbrownie

first, thanks for the extensive replies to my questions. you're another of several here who have been very generous with your time helping a stranger- thank you.

it's odd that UPS is maintaining that the handler positions are regular hire and the driver's helper and other jobs are 'seasonal'. i am putting in an application today- that's the first question i'll ask. logically, i imagine you're right- why hire a 'permanent' when you've got many 'auditioning' for jobs as seasonals. only chance is that they are so low staffed now that they want/need committed employees now (possible, as the starting wage is below mcdonalds here in CA.
unless you are bulid like arnold , at 45 i would not work here for christmas help!

hoser

Industrial Slob

try getting a part time driving position. a much better fit for someone older in my opinion, you get a uniform, deal with people your age all day (clients), have no boss on your back all the time, you're not standing in one spot all night.

as a handler, your supervisor is a 20 year old, your co-workers are 18 year olds, and your tasks are jobs that can be completed by a 14 year old. if you can get a nice mp3 player and have a great talent at spacing out, then perhaps handling is a good choice.