46 year old starting out as package handler

watdaflock?

I don't eat right. Junk food and all that. I'm always full, just not eating the right stuff... but yeah, this job can take the pounds right off you, man. Personally, I wouldn't say I was out of shape when I started but I was definitely the heaviest I'd ever been. People still said I was too skinny, though, so idk...

Did you start working in the summer by chance? That can lead to weight loss, no doubt.

I'm prob' closer to the OP's age than you.

In my early 40's although most people don't guess my age unless they see my growing bald spot on the back of my head....lol!.
Or convert
tumblr_m5ifqi4Lo21rr8l3h.jpg

upsgrunt

Psst......ya.....it's because he drives 3 or 4 times the miles they do, bro. Your understanding of dispatching is laughable, at best and clearly the fault of every republican who has ever served in public office in the last 200 years.

Last edited:
J

jibbs

Did you start working in the summer by chance? That can lead to weight loss, no doubt.

End of August. So the end of Summer, pretty much.

Yeah, water weight is always the first to go, and I was definitely leakin' like a fountain with all the sweating I did when I first started.

MassWineGuy

D
I am 46 years old. I just went through an interview for a package handler yesterday. Recruiter told me wait time to become a driver is 7yrs. My plan is to keep working full time at my other non-UPS related job while working part time at UPS as a package handler for next 7 years. Hopefully I'll become a UPS driver in 7 years in which time I can quit my other full time job. Does my plan sound good? I want to work for UPS for next 30 years or so. Are there any UPS drivers in their 60s or 70s? Have you heard any success stories of UPS employees who started late? Thank you.

Don't let the HR person fill your head with dreams of how great things will be there. Seven years is an awfully long time to wait, especially on a situation that could change daily. Why not start the part time UPS job and see how you like it? If you stay a year, at least you can get some good benefits.

HBGPreloader

I'm about the OP's age and started 7 years ago.

If I wanted to be a PC driver, this past year would have been my first opportunity to qualify.

The one good thing about working PT/preload at this age is it will get you and keep you in pretty decent shape. I dropped 40# when I started. Fortunately, I gained most of it back.

The bad thing now, with our facility at least, is the hours are getting a lot longer. I am now working 5 - 6 hours a day off-peak and 8 - 10 hours during peak which makes holding a second job a helluva lot more challenging.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Shave your head like I do, then they can't tell where the bald spot starts or ends. lol
Exactly I get a kick out of these kats that wanna hold on to their hair but don't hardly have any especially the the dumbphuqks that have no hair on top n just hair on the sides above their ears looking like a total sucker lmfao. Shave that shiznitt bald n rock it dude lmfao. I got hair n can grow it out not frostyle but not as thick I like it almost bald. Low maintenance that's what I'm talking bout lol

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I think the average person is likely to be in for a surprise their first few days at UPS.
A general rule a thumb I've kind of observed in my (albeit relatively short) time at UPS is this. If you can survive the first two weeks you'll be fine. Those first two are the hardest. I remember walking in my first day thinking I was in shape. Boy was I wrong. I've dropped about 30 pounds from when I first started. Though I've leveled off since I moved to management. When people start talking about the best work out programs I tell them to be a loader at UPS in the middle of August. Yikes.