46 year old starting out as package handler

Re-Raise

I can't help but wonder what circumstances have led you to this point in your life.

I would really like to hear how this plan works out for you.

Many people have announced on this site their future plans with UPS, and they all seem to disappear shortly after. I hope you keep us updated on how it works out for you.

Good luck.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I'm 54 and I still kill it. 99 stops today. 215 delivered, 10 picked up. I owned it.
That's my kind of day MONSTER nice dude
tumblr_ncy26nH0qh1terwlso1_500.gif

By The Book

I am 46 years old. I just went through an interview for a package handler yesterday. Recruiter told me wait time to become a driver is 7yrs. My plan is to keep working full time at my other non-UPS related job while working part time at UPS as a package handler for next 7 years. Hopefully I'll become a UPS driver in 7 years in which time I can quit my other full time job. Does my plan sound good? I want to work for UPS for next 30 years or so. Are there any UPS drivers in their 60s or 70s? Have you heard any success stories of UPS employees who started late? Thank you.
If you get hired be prepared for hard work. Do the part time thing for a couple years and reevaluate your previous goals. You may be content with ups part time and your other full time job. Be prepared to be sluggish and tired at your full time job. In my opinion your goals are too lofty. If you are married and your spouse makes a decent wage, adding ups part time for the benefits is helpful. I think it's too late for you at 46 to accomplish the goals you speak of. I like your outlook though.

novadriver

Sir, with all due respect, I'm 47. Currently home now on back injury. Years of punishment on my body. Yes I have worked as safely as possible for 29 years at this job but with that said I'm human and as far as I can you are as well. UPS jobs were designed for young men/women and they want thorough breads until it's time for greener pastures ie feeders. I don't want to discourage in anyway but your body at 46 is not designed for the constant strain that will be imposed. HOWEVER I must say we do have older personnel in part time ranks at my center and they do a fine job. My loader is 50 and he is the best. Neat loads and 0 misloads. But he does that for 4 hours in the morning. A package driver endures all the elements plus the lifting and driving for 10 to 12 hours a day. Don't count your chickens etc. I admire a man/ woman that has a plan and goal but there is reality. I wish you the best of luck take it 1 day at a time or at my age, 1 stop at a time. Be safe
sparky you a freemason?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Blazed up, jamming on the bluetooths in THERAPY SESSION, old lady already nighty night, getting my drink on, and its Friday= PRICELESS LIFE IS GOOD lmfao

HardknocksUPSer

Ancient fraternity. More than I can get into but feel free to give it a google.
All I seen was something about conspiracy theorist who worship satan, which most of whom are "elders" so to speak, of the community. Who knows, hell googles words are almost as believable as Barrack Osama's.

watdaflock?

The bad thing now, with our facility at least, is the hours are getting a lot longer. I am now working 5 - 6 hours a day off-peak and 8 - 10 hours during peak which makes holding a second job a helluva lot more challenging.

I take it you're at a larger hub. I'm lucky to get 4 hours and that's only because of being at the end of the belt.