47yrs old,Too old for Package Car?

Thx for the replies.I'm a freight driver with an LTL company(ODFL).I'm ready to jump ship,NO pension plan,just a 401k.I have 2 current offers for package car(middle of nowhere USA).I'm cool with these remote locations,tired of the hustle n bustle of city life.I just wanted to get someone's take on my plan.I'm single & have zero debt, so if & when things get slow,I can afford to sit.Thought of applying for UPS FREIGHT,but their P&D guys don't make as much as package car.I have a feeling I can do this job,no disrespect to those that do it,I just think I can.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

Thx for the replies.I'm a freight driver with an LTL company(ODFL).I'm ready to jump ship,NO pension plan,just a 401k.I have 2 current offers for package car(middle of nowhere USA).I'm cool with these remote locations,tired of the hustle n bustle of city life.I just wanted to get someone's take on my plan.I'm single & have zero debt, so if & when things get slow,I can afford to sit.Thought of applying for UPS FREIGHT,but their P&D guys don't make as much as package car.I have a feeling I can do this job,no disrespect to those that do it,I just think I can.

I am in the middle of nowhere USA and my loader has been waiting 12 years to drive and we haven't hired off the street since 02.

I would be curious who thinks they can get you a job as a package car driver as an outside hire at 47 years old? You have two current offers from who?

PACNW

A guy in our center went at 46. He is 62 now and takes great care of himself. He out performs most of the guys half his age. You just have to do it with the understanding that you will be working past the age most drivers retire before you can draw a pension, and you will likely never get a good bid route.

DS

Fenderbender
I started at 35yrs old, 21 years ago off the street into pkg,and I'm still hot.
Area knowledge,and the wisdom of age are my best friend,

menotyou

bella amicizia
They didn't do squat, I couldn't even get the insurance company to ok treatment after about six weeks. The UPS to Liberty Mutual liaison stopped returning my calls. I got tired of messing with it and took a 23 year retirement. I had already figured out I couldn't make it to 30 anyway.
Jerks!

I am in the middle of nowhere USA and my loader has been waiting 12 years to drive and we haven't hired off the street since 02.

I would be curious who thinks they can get you a job as a package car driver as an outside hire at 47 years old? You have two current offers from who?

Get your head out of your jealous butt...UPS hires people off the street nationwide(for all positions).I was hired off the street for feeders a couple of yrs ago.I worked 1 season, and was offered a full-time spot.I did not accept at the time, due to it's undesirable location.The locations where I have the offers are NONE of your business.
Keep flying the flag of selfishness and insecurity...FOOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Get your head out of your jealous butt...UPS hires people off the street nationwide(for all positions).I was hired off the street for feeders a couple of yrs ago.I worked 1 season, and was offered a full-time spot.I did not accept at the time, due to it's undesirable location.The locations where I have the offers are NONE of your business.Keep flying the flag of selfishness and insecurity...FOOL!
Who is jealous? Step away from the bottle you are sucking on.Are you the only one allowed to ask a question?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I was replying to Re-Raise,should have replied with a quote,I'm new here.
I don't see where he is jealous. You are using the fact that a guy from feeders can jump over a part-timer who has worked his ying-yang off and waited for a ft job. That can be a bit annoying for the p-timer.

Re-Raise

Get your head out of your jealous butt...UPS hires people off the street nationwide(for all positions).I was hired off the street for feeders a couple of yrs ago.I worked 1 season, and was offered a full-time spot.I did not accept at the time, due to it's undesirable location.The locations where I have the offers are NONE of your business.
Keep flying the flag of selfishness and insecurity...FOOL!

I didn 't see your answer. Why would it be a secret?

You sound like a great guy to work with.

As far as being jealous I am 47 and 26 years in at UPS already. I tell people to come on down and apply all the time when they ask if we are hiring, but the reality is we aren't.

Why would UPS train you when they could hire a 20 something? Maybe it is your people skills that set you apart from the rest?

Last edited:

Re-Raise

Funny you didn't mention previously working for UPS in feeders here.

old levi's

blank space
Here's a tip for the OP : Not a good idea to enter into a new relationship asking for advice and then become belligerent for no reason. How much help do you think you will receive now? Plus, you have tainted yourself early on with the Brown Cafe community.
First impressions, my friend .....................................

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Here's a tip for the OP : Not a good idea to enter into a new relationship asking for advice and then become belligerent for no reason. How much help do you think you will receive now? Plus, you have tainted yourself early on with the Brown Cafe community.
First impressions, my friend .....................................

There was reason ... reraise had posted two pointed and maybe belligerent replies

Re-Raise

There was reason ... reraise had posted two pointed and maybe belligerent replies

I asked if he was already a part-timer and I was curious how he had an in as the outside hire. Both are very relevant to his original question of whether this job can be done by a 47 year old.

BBAG part 2. I keep thinking of Dave Redmon from IRT too.