4th of July ........plans too

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Happy 4th of July from the Jersey shore (south Jersey ) as the local saying " down the shore" sunny and warm ocean water temp in the 70's grilling some hamburgers and dogs with a couple of cold ones .Maybe the Phils will win too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Happy 4th of July from the Jersey shore (south Jersey ) as the local saying " down the shore" sunny and warm ocean water temp in the 70's grilling some hamburgers and dogs with a couple of cold ones.

Say "hi" to Snooki for us and tell her that, yes, being pregnant does make her look fat.

Maybe the Phils will win too.

Are the Phils having a fire sale?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Happy 4th of July from the Jersey shore (south Jersey ) as the local saying " down the shore" sunny and warm ocean water temp in the 70's grilling some hamburgers and dogs with a couple of cold ones.

Say "hi" to Snooki for us and tell her that, yes, being pregnant does make her look fat.

Maybe the Phils will win too.

Are the Phils having a fire sale?
snooki and her riff raffle friends hang out in Seaside that's north down the shore is from Brigantine to Cape May including AC,Ventnor,Margate,Long Port,Ocean City,Sea Isle,Avalon,Stone Harbor, and the Wildwoods. Some may even argue Long Beach Island. As for the Phils they are on life support barely breathing and no heart beat to speak of.Your buddy POP up Victorino for a bag of peanuts !

moreluck

golden ticket member
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Birthdays are celebrated on the BIRTHDAY. Christmas is always on Dec 25th! Of course you can shoot holes in the fact that Dec 25th is an arbitrary day but it has been many centuries now. And to really throw salt into the wound, how about September 11th, eventually that may become a National Holiday. Should we celebrate that on a day other than 9-11?

Of course we could celebrate Easter on a Monday. After all it is about getting time off right? :happy-very:

I do agree with you on the logistical nightmare. But honestly, at UPS EVERY holiday is a logistical nightmare especially when you are in management. This holiday and the day after Thanksgiving were the worst for me. But I realized that it was not about me and it made it more bearable.

1. The birthdays of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King JR are all Federal holidays. They are not celebrated on the actual birthday, they are celebrated on the closest Monday to that birthday in order to make a 3 day weekend. And as far as personal birthdays are concerned, it is quite normal for people to "celebrate" with family and friends on the closest convenient weekend day instead of trying to throw a party on a work night.

2. There is only a 1 in 365 chance that Jesus was actually born on December 25th, since the Gregorian calendar we currently use did not even exist at the time of His birth. His birthday was arbitrarily decided to have occured on December 25 in order to co-opt the Pagan holiday celebrations of the Winter Solstice which occurs 2-3 days prior. This is true of most Christian and other holidays.

3. Easter is celebrated on a Sunday, which is not a workday for most people hence no need for a 3 day weekend. Furthermore, Easter is not celebrated on a fixed calendar date, but rather on the first Sunday after the first full moon of Spring.

4. The 9-11 tragedy occured on a Tuesday morning, and should it ever be declared a national Federal holiday it will hardly qualify as a day of celebration worthy of a 3 day weekend. In any case, it has nothing to do with whether or not Independence day should aways be celebrated on the 4th of July.

Bottom line is this; Independence Day has, by social custom and convention, evolved into a summertime celebration that typically involves fireworks and cookouts and time spent with friends and family. Such a holiday would be infinitely more enjoyable and less logistically challenging if, like Memorial and Labor day, it occured on a 3 day weekend ever year. I propose Friday vs Monday so that those who like to stay up late and light fireworks have less of an impact upon their working neighbors.

UPS Lifer

Trying to rub salt in the wound I see!

1. - I am pretty sure was done to appease Federal employees and the rest of the country follows... Back in the day, UPS opted for Option Days to be taken on what ever day you wanted to eliminate the problem with George & Abraham - I don't think Martin was an issue back then. The gov had this holiday thing figured out by then.

2. - I said you could poke holes in it (because I am very familiar with the origin) but it has been many many centuries

3. - This was meant as a joke - (see the smiley face)

4 - I should have clarified celebration - I meant celebration of the memory of our lost heroes - no other day will make it work for me personally.

Bottom line for me - I celebrate my birthday, my wife's birthday, my kids' birthdays on their birthday - my wedding anniversary only means something to me on that day as does the birth of our country. As for parties to celebrate those milestones, we make that convenient for our families. I don't know why that can't be done for Independence Day.

Don't you get enough Monday holidays off to be with family and friends?

When holidays such as the 4th fall during the week, I did my best to take vacation or P days to eliminate the inconvenience.

But I will give you the 3 day weekend thing. How about a compromise and create a mid summer celebration at the end of July or beginning of August on a Monday.

This is the problem with some of us old codgers, if I would have grown up with Independence Day set on the first Monday of July I would not know the difference!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I'm betting the Preload will suck more than usual July 5,as 99% of the preloaders in my building will have been out late celebrating the fourth and will either be tired or still buzzing!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
July 4th was always my favorite holiday much like u icu it was food drink and blowing stuff up the later being my favorite part. Me and my brother in laws use to have big parties and spend hundreds if not thousands on fireworks. Well god bless them both they fought overseas for our country one in Iraq one Afghanistan. Now at the sound of fireworks they curl into a ball and shake for hours. So now the 4th just makes me sad.

over9five

Staff member
he did exactly what you did.......("AJ covered that in post 10") remember? It's OK for you to do it, but you smart off to him doing the same thing.

Who died and made you hall monitor ??
Now Moreluck, you know he has you on ignore so there's no way he could see that!

(unless someone was to quote you, heh heh heh!)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Now Moreluck, you know he has you on ignore so there's no way he could see that!

(unless someone was to quote you, heh heh heh!)

Show me where the San Diego "error" has been discussed in this thread.

I read today where the company has offered to put on a free fireworks show at a later date.

Can you imagine having sat there for 3-4 (or more) hours waiting for a fireworks display only to have it over and done in 15 seconds (Talk about shooting your ...) and then being told to go home?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would really like to see fireworks moved out of individual neighborhoods and instead have designated areas where people can go to light them off that are paved and have fire department personell and EMT's on duty. Pretty much every year we wind up with burned down or fire-damaged buildings, lost pets, litter in the streets, and police responding to noise complaints because some jerkoff was lighting off firecrackers at 3:00AM on a work night.

School parking lots would be ideal for such a purpose, it would serve to keep the fireworks in certain areas that are safer from fire danger and less stressful for pets and war veterans with PTSD. Instead of having restrictions on the types of fireworks that are allowed, there should be restrictions upon the time and place where they are allowed. There is no point in having strict laws about fireworks here in Oregon when everyone and their brother just drives up to Washington to buy the stuff that is illegal here. It merely breeds contempt for the law.

UPS Lifer

I would really like to see fireworks moved out of individual neighborhoods and instead have designated areas where people can go to light them off that are paved and have fire department personell and EMT's on duty. Pretty much every year we wind up with burned down or fire-damaged buildings, lost pets, litter in the streets, and police responding to noise complaints because some jerkoff was lighting off firecrackers at 3:00AM on a work night.

School parking lots would be ideal for such a purpose, it would serve to keep the fireworks in certain areas that are safer from fire danger and less stressful for pets and war veterans with PTSD. Instead of having restrictions on the types of fireworks that are allowed, there should be restrictions upon the time and place where they are allowed. There is no point in having strict laws about fireworks here in Oregon when everyone and their brother just drives up to Washington to buy the stuff that is illegal here. It merely breeds contempt for the law.

I really get how you feel. But it just depends on the community and the neighborhood. I have seen entire cities that have no problem with banned fireworks and then there are areas that all fireworks are banned and those neighborhoods have the most illegal of illegal fireworks that the residents shoot directly at each other!