4th of July week

upsman68

No help Friday will be in effect at our center I will do all my work by the methods, take my hour lunch and not help anybody

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have off Friday and the wife has to work.

It's amazed me the number of people I've heard say. I really can't believe we don't have Friday off. I just don't see the point give us a nice long weekend.

Seriously?!?!? I love the 4th and celebrate it with the best of them but thinking we should have Friday off is idiotic. Just because a holiday is on a Thursday doesn't mean we are owed a 4 day weekend.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Irregardless I wouldn't "bang in" knowing that my co-workers would get screwed as a result.

Whether or not people come in isn't whats going to cause everyone to get screwed. Management always tries to pit us against one another in times like these because they know there's not much they can do about people calling in. Mark my words, at least 5 people will walk back out the crosswalk in our hub on Friday that came in to work because they'll cut so deep. If I had something to do I'd call out also, knowing a bunch of rookies will have to work instead of strolling out after PCM.

JackStraw

Anybody who bangs out gets a tip o' the cap from me. Most likely they've gotten the "We need everyone PCM" so it takes a pair to call out . Kudos. I'll do an extra 20

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Its just regardless ... irregardless is redundant.
"Ir" and "less" mean the same thing.

Sorry ... I just had to. :wink2:
Even though I am not sitting on a privy.

In memory of UpState.

Now your just piling on!!!
I love it!!!
Up(State) yours Nancy!!!

​P.S. Did you miss me?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In the last decade I have brought more missed stops back on either the 3rd or 5th of July than I have during the heaviest week of peak season. It always winds up being a 13 hour day and a complete custerfluck, with combined pickup routes and half-assed splits and hopeless abortion cars being shoved out the door in order to meet the impossible Stops Per Car metric demanded by IE.

The stupidity displayed by management as they take a chainsaw to the dispatch rather than a scalpel is astounding. And they do it year after year, again and again and again. You would think they would learn, but they never do. Or maybe they just dont care. Either way, it is inevitably a horrible and stressful day to work.

I put in for an optional holiday, but even with 25 years of driving seniority I got bumped. However, since I did put in for the optional I am automatically ahead of anyone who calls in trying to get the day off. With as many routes as they are going to cut the odds of me having to work are pretty low. It sucks having to call in though, as opposed to getting a guranteed 4 day weekend.

I dont call in sick if I'm not sick. Period. Never have, never will. My reward for such honesty is that I inevitably get screwed over with 12 or 13 hour days on the Fridays before or after a holiday due to the number of people who do wind up calling in. Thats OK, I'd rather clock off at the end of the day with a clear conscience and a fat paycheck the next week.

soberups

As far as reporting known closures; if you do that all you accomplish is to allow the company to justify cutting even more routes, which will result in even more service failures. The better choice is to keep your mouth shut about the closures and let them get loaded into the car and counted as a stop. Once you leave the building you can scan them as "closed holiday" in about 1/8 of the time it would take you to actually drive around and deliver them, so instead of having 14 or 15 hours worth of stops on the car you might only have 12 or 13 and at least a fighting chance of getting them done. Why be honest with an entity (IE) who is going to intentionally set you up to fail anyway? Their only goal is to eliminate routes, whereas your goal is to actually make service on the packages. If you have to to lie in order to trick and manipulate them into dispatching a marginally adequate number of routes, then so be it. The end justifies the means.

oldngray

nowhere special
As far as reporting known closures; if you do that all you accomplish is to allow the company to justify cutting even more routes, which will result in even more service failures. The better choice is to keep your mouth shut about the closures and let them get loaded into the car and counted as a stop. Once you leave the building you can scan them as "closed holiday" in about 1/8 of the time it would take you to actually drive around and deliver them, so instead of having 14 or 15 hours worth of stops on the car you might only have 12 or 13 and at least a fighting chance of getting them done. Why be honest with an entity (IE) who is going to intentionally set you up to fail anyway? Their only goal is to eliminate routes, whereas your goal is to actually make service on the packages. If you have to to lie in order to trick and manipulate them into dispatching a marginally adequate number of routes, then so be it. The end justifies the means.

Not really a lie. Its "known" closed and many places will decide to close at the last minutes or there may be a couple of people if the office so if there is any doubt those packages should be loaded so service could be made if possible. If not there, then closed holiday. But you should be at that location to scan even if you just eyeball them to confirm they are closed because of GPS. Cover your butt in all ways.

Notretiredyet

Wish the government would just rename the holiday Independence Day and celebrate it the first Monday in July. They've done it to other holidays why not this one? My route is 80% commercial, they want me to work actual hours on Friday. Told them I would prefer to be laid off if anyone with less seniority wasn't going to work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sheeting known closures on road lowers your NDPPH. Why would you want to work around those packages if you don't have to?

I am on vacation this week but check to see who would be open and closed on Friday. The only known closure was the college which is about 50-60 packages (it is their slow time of year). Why would I want the cover driver to have to work around those packages all day? The PDS will tag those address as known closures and they will be scanned and loaded in to a package car at the end of the belt.

There will stops that will be closed that we didn't know about before hand. For these we are told to sheet as CLO H if they have fewer than 5 packages. If they have 5 packages or more we are told to segregate these and they will be exception scanned when we get back to the bldg.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I now understand the stress created this week .4 drivers showed up very late last night with a whole lot of hot NDA's I had to sort through and get them out to the air trailer in 8 minutes when I commented "WTF guys!" one driver bit my head off verbally. I guess he had a long day.

soberups

Sheeting known closures on road lowers your NDPPH. Why would you want to work around those packages if you don't have to?

1. I dont care about my NDPPH

2. I'm going to be working around packages anyway; if those closures werent loaded in the car then other stops that I actually had to deliver would be.

3. It is a given that whatever dispatch I wind up with on the 5th will be hopeless. The routes are loaded based upon a Stops Per Car metric demanded by IE; whether or not it is humanly possible to actually deliver those stops in less than 13 hours is not a factor in the decision making process.

4. Every "dead" (closure) stop you can fool them into loading into your car equals one less "live" stop that you will be dispatched with and therefore bringing back at 8:30 or 9:00 at night and sheeting as missed. Pulling over and scanning 2 hours worth of "dead" stops as holiday closures might only take you 15 or 20 minutes, which has the net result of giving you an extra hour and 45 minutes of delivery time thus reducing by that amount the number of missed stops you will be bringing back that night.

5. Remember that we arent dealing with rational human beings who care about service. We are dealing with IE people who want to see an arbitrary Stops Per Car metric on a report. Pumping your stop count up with holiday closures helps to generate the number they want to look at while at the same time giving you at least a glimmer of hope at avoiding missed stops.