4th of july

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve I think the twi will be heavy, and I heard they want to not run a midnite shift.... and either let full timers to go home without pay after the twi or prolly give us some crappy jobs *(correction for any wise guys... crappier than usual:tongue_sm) See what I do not get is how they plan on not doing day work for sunday... yeah the 4th is on saturday but sooo many people will have parties on sunday, that or be too hung over to come to work!! so i guess we're gonna have to wait and see... is there any kind of weeks notice needed if they're gonna shut a shift down??

There is a weeks notice for change of start time.

I do not see why PT sup/coord can not simply get a staffing list of who WILL be in as far as FT anyway. It is only the FT and their 8 that is the problem after all.

Wed or Thu get a list of all FT and PT that want to work next Friday.

If there are enough to staff an area, good enough, it will run 9 hours with a lunch.
If said area is short, force by bottom up seniority to work that day. If it is still short, work a FT from another area or work a part-time.

The key overall is getting a list of FT that actually want to WORK before. Then they can accurately assess approx how many PT are needed.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Take my advice. If you have the seniority, take this week off every year. When the holiday falls during the week you may lose a day off, but, believe me, it's worth it. It is similar to the week after Christmas in that it is an operational nightmare. I'll take the extra day of pay and be glad I'm not running my route and several others.

What'dyabringmetoday???

ok, here we go it is less then 2 weeks before the 4th. do we get paid for the day or do we get monday off? i just thought i would start the thread before anyone else did. i know some upsers do not know the answer. early
I am guessing that you will get Monday off. I suspect you will have Friday off as well. I also suspect you are getting paid better than I am for having EVERY day off. :funny: Great thread though.

retired2000

gee here is a tought on how not to get extra stops added to your run when yo have stores closed. DO NOT TELL THEM worked for me when i was on p/c. good thing we still have old timers around to show you young guys the ropes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

gee here is a tought on how not to get extra stops added to your run when yo have stores closed. DO NOT TELL THEM worked for me when i was on p/c. good thing we still have old timers around to show you young guys the ropes.

Doesn't work that way anymore, retired. They pull last year's del records and adjust accordingly.

S

speeddemon

Since I work Friday night and will get done on Saturday morning which is a UPS holiday all of my overtime becomes doubletime rather than time and a half. And I'll get paid for the holiday too. Bend over UPS.

Now that kind of smack talk makes me just want to have a great day!

espy000

I work Tuesday thru Saturday. Here we get Friday off no pay and get Saturday off with holiday pay. So we are missing out on a days pay further more the Sunday thru Thursday are getting paid for six day that week.....Go figure:dissapointed:

jennie

I decided that I would not want to get up at for the 4am to call in Monday, so I told them already that I am taking the day, nice feeling:peaceful: Its been so long since I took a day, I almost feel guilty, hahaha NOT:funny:

evilleace

Tommorow is going to be terrible we are cutting about 20 of the 50 or so routes in my building because of reduced volume the area I am loading is all retail on one car and the mall on another yeah like those places will be closed.

labels_up

Box slinger
So with the day before/after thing I'm curious...I'm taking one of my vacation weeks next week, so did I screw myself out of holiday pay, or do they only count it against you if you call in/no-call don't show up?

browndevil

So with the day before/after thing I'm curious...I'm taking one of my vacation weeks next week, so did I screw myself out of holiday pay, or do they only count it against you if you call in/no-call don't show up?
No. You will be paid for 6 days ( including 4th of July) this week.
In my local we don't have it written regarding calling in sick the day before or after a holiday. I am actually surprised reading here that some of you do

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I think you are OK in your situation. You are already scheduled to be off for vacation next week, so thats not like just calling in. If anybody takes off tomorrow and Monday, then they will lose the extra four or eight hours holiday pay.

We have about a third of our drivers off tomorrow due to low volume projections. With Fedex shut down, I am thinking air could be heavier than expected. With light Friday pickups, Monday will be a light day with a lot of routes cut out too. I think quite a few people will be surprised with their paychecks next week.

labels_up

Box slinger
Awesome! I'm a part time sorter who does split out on the night sort, so I always get over 4 hours (usually hovering right around overtime) and end up losing money whenever I get vacation/holiday pay...so Saturday's extra cash should mean I get a normal week's pay :happy-very:

Now I just have to call a few of my sorter buddies next week while they are at work and leave messages like "So, how was it tonight?" :devil3:

jennie

No. You will be paid for 6 days ( including 4th of July) this week.
In my local we don't have it written regarding calling in sick the day before or after a holiday. I am actually surprised reading here that some of you do

Yea I am lost, I have some sick days that I have not used, husband is off the week of the 4th as I could not take that week, so long weekend with family, which is key to me. I have put in to use on of those Monday, so I will get paid, maybe not extra 4 hours, that was said above?

jennie

I called a friend, my question was answered about the holiday for me. I got a little mixed up with the pay for the days. Have a great weeked ALL, night:bbq:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

John Wayne "America Why I Love Her"

Happy 4th of July. Hope everyone has a great day. Celebrate and enjoy family and friends. Best D