5 bucks a week to send my child support?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This was my entire point; if UPS is truly concerned with helping the less fortunate by donating to United Way, perhaps some of that charity ought to be directed towards its own low-income employees by waiving the fees it charges for child support garnishments.

Don't forget that your real point from the beginning is UPS could/should do this free of charge as a charity or goodwill to one of its employees.
If you stay true to your "original" point then your message will stay on target.

That was never my point.

I was merely questioning the ethics of UPS arbitrarily charging the maximum amount allowable according to state law regardless of the actual costs incurred.

My wife is the finance and Human Resources manager for a local company. She is personally and directly responsible for handling all garnishments and payroll issues. I asked her about this very question and according to her, some garnishments are indeed complex and time-consuming. Others are simple and routine, and once they are set up the money is deducted automatically with no additional time or effort on her part. In no case that she deals with would it be appropriate or fair to charge an employee $20-$25 per month in fees.

The ethical thing for UPS to do....would be to at least work with the affected employees to minimize the amount of time and effort required (and fees charged) to process these garnishments. Arbitrarily charging a PT employee the maximum $5 per week allowed by law without offering him any recourse whatsoever is not an ethical business practice.

What! Huh?

Kae3106

That was never my point.

I was merely questioning the ethics of UPS arbitrarily charging the maximum amount allowable according to state law regardless of the actual costs incurred.

My wife is the finance and Human Resources manager for a local company. She is personally and directly responsible for handling all garnishments and payroll issues. I asked her about this very question and according to her, some garnishments are indeed complex and time-consuming. Others are simple and routine, and once they are set up the money is deducted automatically with no additional time or effort on her part. In no case that she deals with would it be appropriate or fair to charge an employee $20-$25 per month in fees.

The ethical thing for UPS to do....would be to at least work with the affected employees to minimize the amount of time and effort required (and fees charged) to process these garnishments. Arbitrarily charging a PT employee the maximum $5 per week allowed by law without offering him any recourse whatsoever is not an ethical business practice.

I offered to put the OP in contact with the garnishment supervisor to see if it was possible to reduce his fees. I'm still waiting for his message so I can give him that phone number. If he only posts here and doesn't reach out to the people who can actually help him, nothing will change.

I only worked briefly in that department but it always bothered me that the weekly employees were hit so much harder with fees than monthly employees when the states specified a "per payment" fee instead of a "per month" fee. This may have made sense back when checks had to be printed and mailed each week. Now that so many of them are electronic, this type of fee seems outdated. Perhaps a one time set up fee would be more appropriate but these changes would have to be made by the states.

We have tens of thousands of active wage attachments at any given time. The system is programmed with the state fee maximums because it's not possible to evaluate each account for what might be appropriate or fair for that individual employee. A smaller company may be able to do that but our volume is just too high. If this became, say a contractual issue, they could probably do some programming to look at the employee's part time/full time status or average wage to pro-rate the fee to a certain level. But unless there is a lot of high level pressure on this topic, I don't see a wide spread change happening.

redman024

Thank you so much for your info! It is spot on.
That was never my point.

redman024

I already talked with several departments including the garnishment department. They all told me the same thing, go kick rocks we can do what we want. But I will try another number if you have one.

oldupsman

40453_599x1024.jpg

I know it's off topic but I can't help myself. As far as I'm concerned, overall, the best player who ever played the game.