SantasElf

#3 Thou shalt see to it that thine helper is properly paid for their time

If you lack the willingess to pull over and take a 1/2 hour lunch and 15 min break....then at least allow your helper to do so. Or...dont enter a lunch at all on their time card. Whatever you do, make sure they are fully paid for every minute they spend working. They are barely making minimum wage, you make 4 or even 5 times what they do on OT, so dont screw them out of 15 minutes of pay just so that you can look better on a stupid report. I also give my helpers my phone # and instruct them to notify me of any payroll errors or shortages on their check. If my helper gets shorted, I make it my personal mission in life to find whoever is responsible and ride their ass like a dirty diaper if necessary until the problem gets corrected. For $9 an hour they shouldnt have to call a 1-800 number and argue about getting paid properly.

Wow. I noticed 2 hours missing from my check this week and when I mentioned it to him he told me it's out of his hands and I would have to take it up with them, he did make up for a half hour later by saying he would look into it....

#5 Thou shalt share thine tips and buy thine helper lunch.

Helpers are making barely more than minimum wage. Drivers make 5 times that much on overtime. If I have a helper who is hustling and working hard, then the occasional $5 or $10 bill that comes to me in a card from a customer gets handed to them. When we stop at a restraunt for lunch, I pick up the tab for both of us. I have had a lot of helpers who were literally broke (why else would they work for minimum wage) and they show up with some nasty cold lunch in a brown bag. I am not going to sit in a warm restraunt and eat yummy food while they sit in the cold truck and eat leftovers. We are a team and we eat together.

Wish I had you then, my driver got tons of tips and shared none with me :( He even bragged about how he normally gets a free meal gift card from a local restaurant this time of year and mentioned that tips were down this year and that it must be because of the economy. The worst part was several of the places that only I have done the pick up and drops offs for since I started were handing me cards to give to the driver. it was like "oh is he with you today?, Yeah. Can you give this to him?" Very depressing to be on the end of that. Only tip I got was a $20 and a card from the driver saying I had made a tough job easy.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I had a good helper this year, he got most of my cash tips including a couple plates of cookies and a $50.00 gift certificate for Applebee's, only thing I kept for myself was one $25.00 gift card. I slipped him another $100.00 when I dropped him off tonight. I can't remember the last time I worked this many hours, made a lot of money and he was right there every step of the way so it was the least I could do.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The burden then falls upon the driver to ensure the HV was delivered using the methods.

No. The burden then falls to the company to prove...per Art 10 of the National Master...that the driver without justification or mitigation violated pertinent established rules or policies, the observance of which would have prevented the loss or damage of the parcel.

We dont know at this point who delivered the package or which DIAD was used. Was it a DIAD III with no GPS? Was the package in EDD? Was the package part of a bunch of stops that were bagged up and left for the driver due to containment issues? Was the driver who supposedly lost the package the same driver who signed off on it in the AM or did he get sent to help the driver who did?

Lots of questions at this point, very little actual information. The company has a lot of work to do before that can expect to ding the driver for $5K.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fair enough.

Whenever I have a HV I either load it with the stop (if a bulk stop) and write HV on the label or I will load it in the 1000 section if it is a single. I then type HV in the remarks column upon delivery and ODS the center to let them know the HV has been delivered.

In this case if the driver who signed for it in the morning is the same driver this helper was working with the driver would then indeed be responsible for the HV up until the time of delivery. Whether he delivered it or not is irrelevant---in fact, I would have made sure that I either delivered or, if the helper delivered it, I would make sure that it was in my DIAD and that he was not to complete the stop until I verified it was made correctly.

soberups

...I would have made sure that I either delivered or, if the helper delivered it, I would make sure that it was in my DIAD and that he was not to complete the stop until I verified it was made correctly.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but the process you describe is a pretty easy one to follow when you are working 42 or 43 hours. It gets a little trickier when your car is blown out and you are working 60.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but the process you describe is a pretty easy one to follow when you are working 42 or 43 hours. It gets a little trickier when your car is blown out and you are working 60.

The process should be the same regardless of how many hours you work or what time you punch out.

overallowed

I dislike using a helper. It wasn't so bad a few years ago when they started helpers a week before Thanksgiving and you had the same one until Christmas Eve. This year, over 12 days, I had 9 different helpers, 6 of which were starting that day and I had to take them their uni's, and wait for them to change. There was a couple of times I called my helper by the name of the person I had yesterday.

AssistantSanta

I dislike using a helper. It wasn't so bad a few years ago when they started helpers a week before Thanksgiving and you had the same one until Christmas Eve. This year, over 12 days, I had 9 different helpers, 6 of which were starting that day and I had to take them their uni's, and wait for them to change.

That must be horrible. I did it for the first time this year and I stayed with the same driver for the most part. The first few days, I was a pure runner. Driver ran both DIADs and he did all the signature required. I didn't know the area at all and driver wasn't used to using a helper. We got in each other's way and many miss deliveries were made. This was pre thanksgiving and volume wasn't too high.

First two weeks I was there, he always had to be bailed out by other drivers.

In the high of peak, we'd clean out the entire truck without having to get bailed out by other drivers and usually done by 18:00.

JonFrum

#9 Thou shalt not call thy Helper a "Runner" or a "Jumper." Neither shall ye call his seat a "Jumpseat."

#10 After training a dozen or more Helpers over the years, Drivers shalt not act surprised when legions of former Helpers are bussed across our Strike Lines to work as already trained and qualified Replacement Workers (aka "Scabs").

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
#10 After training a dozen or more Helpers over the years, Drivers shalt not act surprised when legions of former Helpers are bussed across our Strike Lines to work as already trained and qualified Replacement Workers (aka "Scabs").

good luck with that, my 3rd or 4th helper could not read,, i asked him to read off the stops in the diad when i was setting up a section and he could not do it,, 8 bucks a hr, couple of hrs a day, on call so no responsibilities,,our seasonal help is a talented bunch

JonFrum

good luck with that, my 3rd or 4th helper could not read,, i asked him to read off the stops in the diad when i was setting up a section and he could not do it,, 8 bucks a hr, couple of hrs a day, on call so no responsibilities,,our seasonal help is a talented bunch
Even if we limit our discussion just to the five years of the current Contract, UPS will have a vast army of former employees that were trained for free by drivers and were put through numerous screenings and evaluations by UPS.

There are lots of jobs to be done at UPS during a strike. Maybe your specific Helper would be assigned to Unload since it doesn't require reading.

UPS also has the entire unemployed population to draw replacement workers from. But having so many pre-trained and previously processed will surely be a great asset to UPS during negotiations.

Just the threat of all these eager beaver UPS enthusiasts out there will be enough to demoralize some of the Union membership at Contract renewal time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Even if we limit our discussion just to the five years of the current Contract, UPS will have a vast army of former employees that were trained for free by drivers and were put through numerous screenings and evaluations by UPS.

There are lots of jobs to be done at UPS during a strike. Maybe your specific Helper would be assigned to Unload since it doesn't require reading.

UPS also has the entire unemployed population to draw replacement workers from. But having so many pre-trained and previously processed will surely be a great asset to UPS during negotiations.

Just the threat of all these eager beaver UPS enthusiasts out there will be enough to demoralize some of the Union membership at Contract renewal time.

By this time next year we will have a new contract but that aside:

Drivers were paid by UPS to train the helpers unless drivers trained off the clock.

There is very, very little screening of helpers.

These helpers are primarily college students that will have graduated by August 2013 or will be too young to be a driver.

Many part-timers realize that the Teamsters does almost nothing for them and will probably cross the line to work, if UPS would let them.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Good Bump. It brings up a couple questions.

Why do drivers buy into the company's assertion, that "they" are required to train helpers ?

The National language doesn't require it. It's an option.... if you volunteer. And then, there is a pay premium.

The Central Region language doesn't support anything further. Other regions may differ.

And why.... would you let the company.... try to "guilt" you, into believing, you are responsible for their safety ?

There is nothing wrong with offering words of encouragement.... But, they are the employer. Liability resides with them.

-Bug-

soberups

Good Bump. It brings up a couple questions.

Why do drivers buy into the company's assertion, that "they" are required to train helpers ?

The National language doesn't require it. It's an option.... if you volunteer. And then, there is a pay premium.

The Central Region language doesn't support anything further. Other regions may differ.

And why.... would you let the company.... try to "guilt" you, into believing, you are responsible for their safety ?

There is nothing wrong with offering words of encouragement.... But, they are the employer. Liability resides with them.

-Bug-

1. Many of the helpers I have worked with had little or no meaningful DIAD training. I would take a few minutes (ON the clock of course) to demonstrate proper use of the DIAD in order to help them become more effective. Yes its the companys responsibility to train them, and since I work for the company and am ON the clock if need be I will pick up the training where HR left off during their orientation. Am I "required" to do it? No. Is it the right thing to do anyway? Yes.

2. Yes the company is responsible for their initial safety training, but if I observe the helper working unsafely I feel that it is my responsibility to correct that behavior. As a driver, I am "captain of the ship" and I dont want anyone getting hurt on my watch. Obviously I am not personally liable if a helper violates safety procedures and injures themself, but I do have an obligation to speak out to them if I witness unsafe behavior. And as the driver, I am responsible for making sure that I dont move the vehicle until they are buckled in.