Indecisi0n

1. Many of the helpers I have worked with had little or no meaningful DIAD training. I would take a few minutes (ON the clock of course) to demonstrate proper use of the DIAD in order to help them become more effective. Yes its the companys responsibility to train them, and since I work for the company and am ON the clock if need be I will pick up the training where HR left off during their orientation. Am I "required" to do it? No. Is it the right thing to do anyway? Yes.

2. Yes the company is responsible for their initial safety training, but if I observe the helper working unsafely I feel that it is my responsibility to correct that behavior. As a driver, I am "captain of the ship" and I dont want anyone getting hurt on my watch. Obviously I am not personally liable if a helper violates safety procedures and injures themself, but I do have an obligation to speak out to them if I witness unsafe behavior. And as the driver, I am responsible for making sure that I dont move the vehicle until they are buckled in.

1. I no longer train helpers. If they aren't trained to use the DIAD (they never are) I scan they run.

2. I agree with you. I will correct any behavior the helper is doing that might cause a safety issue.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. I no longer train helpers. If they aren't trained to use the DIAD (they never are) I scan they run.

2. I agree with you. I will correct any behavior the helper is doing that might cause a safety issue.

I will also correct the unsafe behavior of any management person who is riding with me during an OJS...which happens more often than one might think.

I have had on car sups who would tell me to "go ahead" while they were fumbling around with the seatbelt. Nope, we dont move until the seat belt clicks, period. They might be the boss, but I alone decide when its safe to move the vehicle. And if they are going to ride my ass about using the handrail, fine... I will return the favor if I see them not using it. Same goes if I see them running, or not scanning the walkpath while they are screwing around with their little clipboards. If they want to dish it out they damn well better be able to take it.

Buck Fifty

I buy my helper lunch everyday ! I also give him any edibles from customers I don't like or that my wife would kill me for bringing home.

gingerkat

Nice post guys, got a whole new found respect for you. I was reading some messages from a site where UPS posts jobs and a lot of drivers get a bad reputation for treating their helpers (and this site was noted).

barnyard

KTM rider
The longest I ever have a helper is 4 hours. He gets no lunch.

It used to be that I had my helper till I took lunch. I did not offer to buy lunch, but I did offer to buy coffee or hot chocolate. 1 guy took me up on it a couple of times.

Friday, I had a helper that has helped the regular guy for 3 years. We do things her way and her way works. Guess that is what I will be doing till the regular guy gets back. As long as she shows up on time and is willing to put in the effort, I can work around her schedule.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I pickup my helper after lunch.
He is an inside employee that requests to be my helper every year, 5th year running.
I don't buy him lunch, but I would if I were to dine with him for lunch.
I have never gave him a Christmas present, maybe I should?
We are genuinely a good team and I assume he feels the same.
We make the best of a tough situation while enjoying some good music.
I appreciate him, even if the company doesn't.

Packmule

Nowadays they don't let a helper stay on the car long enough to worry about lunch do they? Fortunately, I never get on anymore, but sure do hear those that do complain a bunch because they can't use them long enough to do much good.

laffter

Nowadays they don't let a helper stay on the car long enough to worry about lunch do they?

I'm sure it varies by center and by driver. There's a driver I've helped several time who doesn't take a lunch. And even if he did, he knocks out his route before a lunch for a helper would even be needed. Last Friday he had about 175 stops. I helped him from 11:30 to 2:30. It was time for his pickups, and he had 12 resi stops left.

I helped another driver a couple weeks ago with ~230-250 resi stops. We were out 'till 7:30PM. I was on with him for seven and a half hours. Scattered neighborhoods, unfamiliar splits, it all makes a huge difference.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The helper is on the car to work, not eat. I do take my helper out to lunch on the 24th and give him a tip, usually $50, and will also give him some of the treats that I get from customers.

wayfair

swollen member
If I get a good helper, a good one, I'll take care of 'em when it's payday... 8.50 an hour to show up for this job is a joke.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Because after busting ass for 4 or 5 hours in the morning, we get hungry. Next question?

because we are paid 30 plus a hr and the helper is making nothing,, do you really think they want to spend more time with you than they have to????

OptimusPrime

I'm sure it varies by center and by driver. There's a driver I've helped several time who doesn't take a lunch. And even if he did, he knocks out his route before a lunch for a helper would even be needed. Last Friday he had about 175 stops. I helped him from 11:30 to 2:30. It was time for his pickups, and he had 12 resi stops left.

What a laugher. He needs a helper so he can get done by at worst maybe 5pm.

kingOFchester

Rule number 1 that I work under. Work as directed.

When I am trained on how to use a helper, I will implement my training.
However, I will not work helper off the clock, and will treat helper with respect. Any coffee or gifts will be easily earned, not given.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Number one- Not my job to monitor.

#2- Agreed.

#3- I'm not a runner- gunner, so I take my lunch at the right time. The helper starts late so they will have to take lunch too. Nothing I can do about that.

#4- I'm a old timer, if you can keep up pee wee, there's a problem. Not everyone is cut out for this. The company can also pay a lot more to get better help if they wish.

#5- Sorry, tips are mine. I earn they all year. Bring lunch from home. I'm sure Mom has lots of food in the fridge.