5 keys to package selection

browndevil

OK, so I had a package loaded in my truck on Friday that was a definite damage. Signature required. Top half of the box had cardboard torn off and replaced with tape. Nothing in it. We are told to not record these as damages, but to put it in the board as NI1. Talk about lack of integrity at my center. The consignee looks up tracking number and sees NI1 and thinks driver messed up. My frustration builds. Do as your told or do what's right? I recorded it as a damage.
Why did preload load it in first place is what I want to know. Our "new" flavor of the month is don't sheet as NSN or need suite or a apt # while on road. We need to notify center to get address corrections. HMMM is there a clerk in the building during those hours to do that work?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
OK, so I had a package loaded in my truck on Friday that was a definite damage. Signature required. Top half of the box had cardboard torn off and replaced with tape. Nothing in it. We are told to not record these as damages, but to put it in the board as NI1. Talk about lack of integrity at my center. The consignee looks up tracking number and sees NI1 and thinks driver messed up. My frustration builds. Do as your told or do what's right? I recorded it as a damage.

Helen, I just deliver them................,letting the customer call UPS afterward. If They load it, let them deal with the customer concern. Though I do put damaged, in the remarks column.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Helen, I just deliver them................,letting the customer call UPS afterward. If They load it, let them deal with the customer concern. Though I do put damaged, in the remarks column.
I give the customer the option ref/dam or call and deal with claims. Hey, it's the customers choice. I just make sure they know all the options. :wink2:

badpal

I totally agree with you on that. I had the loader from hell during peak so I had to go back quite a bit. Thank GOD she quit!
Wow hadnt looked at this thread but usually get on and read threads twice a day but now i see my id has been hijacked oh the humanity of it . So i checked to see if i could still sign in as badpal and i could ??? wonder how this could happen ? yours truly the original badpal:sad-little:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow hadnt looked at this thread but usually get on and read threads twice a day but now i see my id has been hijacked oh the humanity of it . So i checked to see if i could still sign in as badpal and i could ??? wonder how this could happen ? yours truly the original badpal:sad-little:

It appears that the he simply added a "." to your user name. To be fair, I did not check the members' list before choosing my user name. I chose a user name that would reflect where I live but nothing more personal. dilligaf is going through the same issue as there is a new member who calls himself dilligafah. We even kidded her about having a family member on BC. Turns out the kid had been using that name in X-Box world for years and simply brought it here.

badpal

It appears that the he simply added a "." to your user name. To be fair, I did not check the members' list before choosing my user name. I chose a user name that would reflect where I live but nothing more personal. dilligaf is going through the same issue as there is a new member who calls himself dilligafah. We even kidded her about having a family member on BC. Turns out the kid had been using that name in X-Box world for years and simply brought it here.
No harm no foul just kinda surprised me lol.:happy2:

Bigdawg872

We are supposed to sheet them as missed and bring it back for the clerk.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is just one small part of what STUG referred to as UPS franchises in that it seems like each district, or even center, has different procedures for the same issue. You would think that there would be one standardized procedure that would be followed company wide. For example, we are taught to sheet known closures as CLO-H while others will sheet these as Future or CLO-1. There are, of course, many more examples, but the point is why is there not one standard for all of us to follow, whether it is Dilli in AZ, Tex in TX, STUG in FL, helenofcalifornia, or me up here next to Canada.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This is just one small part of what STUG referred to as UPS franchises in that it seems like each district, or even center, has different procedures for the same issue. You would think that there would be one standardized procedure that would be followed company wide. For example, we are taught to sheet known closures as CLO-H while others will sheet these as Future or CLO-1. There are, of course, many more examples, but the point is why is there not one standard for all of us to follow, whether it is Dilli in AZ, Tex in TX, STUG in FL, helenofcalifornia, or me up here next to Canada.
Here, here! There is 1 policy book for the whole company, why not have 1 del. book as well?

UpState, I think the reason for these differences are because when someone in corporate office hands down a mandate that (for example) we have too many packages showing up on delivery records as "DAMAGED" and "YOU WILL FIND A WAY TO REMEDY THIS!", the regional mgrs pass that down to the district, district to divison to centers/hubs. The corporate mgrs don't tell them how to do it, just to make it work. So the ball eventually drops into the divison managers court and each one comes up with their own solution to put out that fire. the end.

Here, here! There is 1 policy book for the whole company, why not have 1 del. book as well?
Actually Dilli there is just one delivery book. However managers just have different ways of applying the rules for delivery. The hard part is when the applied rules change due to "hot issues", new managers or the higher ups find out what is being done.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There are other keys to package selection as well. One is to download EDD and look at all the address numbers and street names. Find the ones that PAS screwed up and the package was misloaded on your package car with a bad PAL label. An example of this is what happened to me the other day. I have a main road I will call "Lake Scratch Road" that starts in my city but goes through two other cities. PAS misread the customers label and put seven missorts on my car. I knew there was no 2001, 2140, and 2220 on Lake Scratch RD, so I was able to pull them off before I left the building. Unfortunately, I have a "Scratch Drive" that goes around one of my lakes, so I had to break trace in the middle of the day to drive miles off trace to meet with the driver in another city to get rid of those two missorts. I don't understand why PAS can't read the customer's Worldship Label and tracking number and put the correct PAL on a box.

I go through this everyday because Lake Scratch Rd is also called Scratch Rd. And a few people on Scratch Drive will use Lake Scratch Drive. And about six addresses on both of these streets use the same house number. So I will have to dig through two or three different Sections early to make sure I have the right box before I start those areas.

I have also had problems in the past with a previous PreLoader. I would have at least one missort a day from one of the routes parked to either side of me. After a while, I figured out that most of his missorts would be in my 3000 section for some reason. So I would dig through that section too before I left the building. If I found a missort, I would run it on the way in, since both of these routes were between my area and the Center. There is no telling how much overtime I made because of this guy.

Before PAS, I had about two missorts a year because I had a great Preloader. Since PAS, they are a daily occurrence. Sometimes I don't think that technology is all that great.:whiteflag:

QKRSTKR

I record the damages as NR1 so I don't have to scan a info notice and in remarks I put damage. The reason we were told to do this is if you put it in as damage, that already starts the damage claim which gets paid. If everything in the package is damaged, the clerk can do it, if only part of the shipment is damaged, UPS saves money. And that's what's it's all about right now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To add to what Scratch was saying, if the way that the address is spelled on the label and the way that we have it in our system differ, the pkg will most likely be PAL incorrectly. I had this happen to me Friday. I have a South St on my area. There is a S. Peru St on an adjacent area. I had 3 pkgs which should have gone to 81 S. Peru St but because the shipper spelled out the word South the computer sent them to my pkg car. I actually caught it in EDD and tried to find them before leaving but couldn't so I just ran them off, sheeting them first as NSN for the South spelling and then dup stop when I delivered to 81 S Peru St. I would have just brought them back but they were big and heavy and I just wanted to get rid of them.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I give the customer the option ref/dam or call and deal with claims. Hey, it's the customers choice. I just make sure they know all the options. :wink2:

LOL, this is more like what I do, if the cust is home.

Hope none makes a stevetheupsguysbetterhalf screen name.:wink2:

"UNITED" Parcel Service!

UpState, I think the reason for these differences are because when someone in corporate office hands down a mandate that (for example) we have too many packages showing up on delivery records as "DAMAGED" and "YOU WILL FIND A WAY TO REMEDY THIS!", the regional mgrs pass that down to the district, district to divison to centers/hubs. The corporate mgrs don't tell them how to do it, just to make it work. So the ball eventually drops into the divison managers court and each one comes up with their own solution to put out that fire. the end.

It's the old game of telephone/pass it down. By the time it goes from point A to point Z, it's a totally different message.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
To add to what Scratch was saying, if the way that the address is spelled on the label and the way that we have it in our system differ, the pkg will most likely be PAL incorrectly. I had this happen to me Friday. I have a South St on my area. There is a S. Peru St on an adjacent area. I had 3 pkgs which should have gone to 81 S. Peru St but because the shipper spelled out the word South the computer sent them to my pkg car. I actually caught it in EDD and tried to find them before leaving but couldn't so I just ran them off, sheeting them first as NSN for the South spelling and then dup stop when I delivered to 81 S Peru St. I would have just brought them back but they were big and heavy and I just wanted to get rid of them.

I haven't had a lot of experience with PAS yet but I have to say that I had a flip on fri for the positive. The shipper sent the pkg to a 5 digit street addy that is copletely foreign to our area. PAL was flipped to the correct address. As I have not yet gotten used to looking solely at PAL, I was looking at the shipping label for the addy. When my next address came up in EDD I went there and lo and behold the sequence number was the pkg that I thought I was going to have to take back. LOL

brownIEman

I haven't had a lot of experience with PAS yet but I have to say that I had a flip on fri for the positive. The shipper sent the pkg to a 5 digit street addy that is copletely foreign to our area. PAL was flipped to the correct address. As I have not yet gotten used to looking solely at PAL, I was looking at the shipping label for the addy. When my next address came up in EDD I went there and lo and behold the sequence number was the pkg that I thought I was going to have to take back. LOL

dilligaf,

PAS flips addresses all the time, probably about 90-95 percent of the time, when it flips an address, it is doing what you saw, flipping an incorrect address to a correct address. Usually you never hear about those flips, as they lead to a correct delivery and that is the end of it. The system does however, flip and get it wrong, sometimes very wrong.

BTW, you mention you have not gotten used to looking solely at the PAL. That is good, please do not ever get used to looking solely at the PAL. For a driver, the PAL is mostly for the sequence number, which is listed in EDD, so you can find the package with little effort after looking at EDD. You should still be going off the address label when delivering.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
dilligaf,

PAS flips addresses all the time, probably about 90-95 percent of the time, when it flips an address, it is doing what you saw, flipping an incorrect address to a correct address. Usually you never hear about those flips, as they lead to a correct delivery and that is the end of it. The system does however, flip and get it wrong, sometimes very wrong.

BTW, you mention you have not gotten used to looking solely at the PAL. That is good, please do not ever get used to looking solely at the PAL. For a driver, the PAL is mostly for the sequence number, which is listed in EDD, so you can find the package with little effort after looking at EDD. You should still be going off the address label when delivering.

Thanks for the tip. The guys that are here installing this are sometimes a little short-sighted on the info they give it. I guess they think we should already know all this. I fact one guy is kind of a jerk about it.

I have another question. With the bad addresses and the flips, do we still need to AC bad addy's? (if the bad addys is on the shipping label, not the flip). How does that work now?