5 of the 7 supplement passed 2 did not.

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by burco8080, Oct 11, 2013.

1. burco8080

burco8080 Member

so now what happens?

2. badpal

badpal Member

Well for one thing, I would not expect that backpay check before Christmas

3. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

IBT sits down and re-negotiates the supplements that did not pass. Several other supplements have not even been negotiated yet (ie. Local 89's Air Rider). Along with the third round of ballots, IBT must also send a strike authorization ballot per the IBT constitution.

4. oldupsman

oldupsman Well-Known Member

Not to mention 705 and 710. This thing could drag on for another year easily until the contract is truly ratified.

5. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Going to be a nice Christmas bonus ... Christmas 2014.
    ​In the meantime, UPS gets to use your money interest free (not that interest rates are all that high).

6. InsideUPS

InsideUPS Active Member

PiedmontSteward.....in regard to "IBT must also send a strike authorization ballot per the IBT constitution"; are these strike authorization ballots sent to all members or just those that turned down their supplements ?

7. oldupsman

oldupsman Well-Known Member

Right. Which is why UPS could care less how long this thing drags on. Plus the longer it goes on, the more it tears
    the union apart. All they've got to do is keep it quiet.

8. bluehdmc

bluehdmc Well-Known Member

Still waiting for 177's supplement.

9. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

You know the answer to that.
    Why are you being aloof?

10. The Other Side

The Other Side Well-Known Troll Troll

Dont forget "WE" in the west havent voted on our supplements and riders yet. EXPECT another NO VOTE out here as well.

407 and Stink...

good luck filing out that strike ballot!

TOS.

11. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

It says it has to send them out. Not when they actually will. Way after Xmas. There will be no rush by either side. They know the members will want their raises. After Xmas corporate UPS will send down to cut areas. "Too punish the ungrateful". Hope all are keeping your hrs. Unless you expect UPS to be honest..........

12. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

Ballots are only sent out to the members covered by the supplement. The clause I quote below kicks in after a supplement has been voted down a second time.. the language is pretty clear, in my opinion, by stating "shall" rather than "may":

Source: IBT Constitution, 2011.
    http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/IBT-Constitution-2011.pdf, Art. XII, Sec. 2 (p 93-94)

Additionally, according to my reading of the IBT Constitution, the NMA cannot be re-opened. There might be a clause in there somewhere that can permit it, but -- to be frank -- I'm just not that familiar with the IBT's by-laws.

Source: IBT Constitution, 2011.
    http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/IBT-Constitution-2011.pdf, Art. XII, Sec. 2 (p 91-92)

13. ocnewguy

ocnewguy Member

we're probably going to have the best insurance in the country after the carve out. you're still going to vote no though right?

14. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

I think the answer to that is yes unless TOS is appointed/elected as an officer of the local.

​That's what he is all about anyway.

15. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Was looking forward to buying on some dips if folks get scared with the debt ceiling.

16. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

You can simply go back on UPSers and look at your past paychecks. If there is a discepencey, you got shorted more than .70. One should make sure your check is correct every week, not just when you're expecting back pay based in hours worked/bonus.

17. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

A strike would break the union I bet. I can't see a majority of these members going out on the street over this stuff. A lock out could happen but a strike wouldn't be supported by the majority and most would probably cross the line. Just saying

18. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

You can't reason with crazy. Don't waste your time. I bet it passes out west.

19. IzzyTheNose

IzzyTheNose Member

Don't see either happening. The company was able to profit in the billions while the building, housing and automotive sectors all saw massive losses in the recession. The company will not lock us out and risk a very likely massive loss in business and revenue. They have shareholders to account for. But I also don't see us striking.

It'll get worked out, but it's going to take awhile. However, I highly, HIGHLY doubt our supplement out West gets voted through.

20. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Agree totally. Just a lot of wiggle room for either side to worry about it. For maybe a yr. By the time all supplements are agreed and mailed. Then voted. What are there 10 yet that need to be even voted on the 2nd time. Which I believe will be voted down. Right now it will be catch up for all the supplements to get to a 3rd vote.