5 OG tips for rookies

Long time lurker first time poster. Sorry if I hit points already made but it is too boring to search. Creds are 25 years total 4 years PT 5 cover 16 FT driver....Also a year at the hub in Louisville. But that don't count. UPS is the only serious job I've ever held.

5 It is a damn boring job.
Figure ways to deal with that fact. My strategy is stealing audiobooks and streaming podcasts. This works best when running residentials as commercials require interaction. If you have
unlimited data on your cell keep it. We make enough money to pay for the phone outright. I
once had a rural route before smart phones and radios in cars. I almost went crazy. I had
solved all the worlds problems by noon....by 1230 I was asking myself "why did she say "I
love you" that way?". Understand that because we only interact with others on a 45 second
basis we must figure out ways to avoid feeling isolated. Don't dwell on negative. You have to
train yourself to think positive. You are making more than enough money to keep you and your family out of poverty. That is a positive.

4 Local management is not necessarily your enemy
This experience is highly variable. You might get a sup that bleeds brown but my experience
is that most just want to get through the day. My response to a sup that confronted me about being an hour over was "Do you really think I would spend a minute more in this :censored2: brown suit more than I had to?'. Local management just doesn't want to have to answer for you. Create a record of being productive. Do that and local management will fight on your side. I say that with about 23 accidents on my record and I'm still driving. Our center manager has 3 other centers to manage so our dispatch sups roll their eyes when he goes on for 15 or so minutes about production when he helicopters in to berate on things he knows nothing about. Local management can be your friend if they are sane. Which leads me to the next point.

3 Don't take anything new seriously.
I really believe that there is a department in UPS that is tasked with coming up with new :censored2:.
Bulkhead door closed...back first exceptions....rural route deliveries.......10 point commentary. Honestly....The only thing I know is all kids love milk. They tell me that a safety person is coming by tomorrow but for some reason they never ask me. Maybe it is because when I see someone new hanging out by the check in I pass by. Park my car at the dock and carry my exceptions up. Understand that local sups don't want to answer for you and they usually don't care if you comply with the new :censored2:. Cause there will always be the new :censored2: of the week. Comply with it for a week or two and it will go away.

2 BE ON TIME
This is in caps because it effects your co-workers. These are your only true allies so don't friend them up. If you are late and you can't get your air or whatever that means the guy that works next to you will have to work harder to take up your slack. UPS is a zero sum game. The things that you don't do must be done by somebody. Don't push your work off to another....it is rude and will effect you later cause we don't forget. Being on time is a simple requirement and is the sieve separates the competent from the incompetent.

1 You can never be fired for production but you will be fired for production.
Number one because it is ultimately the only tip that matters. If you are productive (ie you are regularly under allowed) then you can ignore every thing else that management says to you. You can choose to fight them. The union will back you up but that means that you have to do everything right. I'm not that guy. I shave once a week.....UPS washes my pants and my shirts....I dr sig required because I know folks would rather me do that......I purposely fail every training in diad .....I have late air because it makes more sense for me to deliver ground than break off to get air on time. And nobody says :censored2: to me. Nobody says a thing. Why? Because I produce. Ultimately, that is all UPS cares about.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Long time lurker first time poster. Sorry if I hit points already made but it is too boring to search. Creds are 25 years total 4 years PT 5 cover 16 FT driver....Also a year at the hub in Louisville. But that don't count. UPS is the only serious job I've ever held.

5 It is a damn boring job.
Figure ways to deal with that fact. My strategy is stealing audiobooks and streaming podcasts. This works best when running residentials as commercials require interaction. If you have
unlimited data on your cell keep it. We make enough money to pay for the phone outright. I
once had a rural route before smart phones and radios in cars. I almost went crazy. I had
solved all the worlds problems by noon....by 1230 I was asking myself "why did she say "I
love you" that way?". Understand that because we only interact with others on a 45 second
basis we must figure out ways to avoid feeling isolated. Don't dwell on negative. You have to
train yourself to think positive. You are making more than enough money to keep you and your family out of poverty. That is a positive.

4 Local management is not necessarily your enemy
This experience is highly variable. You might get a sup that bleeds brown but my experience
is that most just want to get through the day. My response to a sup that confronted me about being an hour over was "Do you really think I would spend a minute more in this :censored2: brown suit more than I had to?'. Local management just doesn't want to have to answer for you. Create a record of being productive. Do that and local management will fight on your side. I say that with about 23 accidents on my record and I'm still driving. Our center manager has 3 other centers to manage so our dispatch sups roll their eyes when he goes on for 15 or so minutes about production when he helicopters in to berate on things he knows nothing about. Local management can be your friend if they are sane. Which leads me to the next point.

3 Don't take anything new seriously.
I really believe that there is a department in UPS that is tasked with coming up with new :censored2:.
Bulkhead door closed...back first exceptions....rural route deliveries.......10 point commentary. Honestly....The only thing I know is all kids love milk. They tell me that a safety person is coming by tomorrow but for some reason they never ask me. Maybe it is because when I see someone new hanging out by the check in I pass by. Park my car at the dock and carry my exceptions up. Understand that local sups don't want to answer for you and they usually don't care if you comply with the new :censored2:. Cause there will always be the new :censored2: of the week. Comply with it for a week or two and it will go away.

2 BE ON TIME
This is in caps because it effects your co-workers. These are your only true allies so don't friend them up. If you are late and you can't get your air or whatever that means the guy that works next to you will have to work harder to take up your slack. UPS is a zero sum game. The things that you don't do must be done by somebody. Don't push your work off to another....it is rude and will effect you later cause we don't forget. Being on time is a simple requirement and is the sieve separates the competent from the incompetent.

1 You can never be fired for production but you will be fired for production.
Number one because it is ultimately the only tip that matters. If you are productive (ie you are regularly under allowed) then you can ignore every thing else that management says to you. You can choose to fight them. The union will back you up but that means that you have to do everything right. I'm not that guy. I shave once a week.....UPS washes my pants and my shirts....I dr sig required because I know folks would rather me do that......I purposely fail every training in diad .....I have late air because it makes more sense for me to deliver ground than break off to get air on time. And nobody says :censored2: to me. Nobody says a thing. Why? Because I produce. Ultimately, that is all UPS cares about.
Sad in so many ways ....... :villagewrong:

sorry but true...includes pt work gassing and parking cars. Reported every scratch.....probably wasn't a good idea. once hit a plastic garbage can reported in case somebody saw and complained later got fired for not reporting a scrape on a pine tree..6 my first year cover. no :censored2:

One of the 6 I had in my first year was kinda funny. I was on a main thoroughfare in our city when I realized that I had just passed my delivery. I hit the brakes checked the mirrors (this was before the cameras) threw it in reverse to turn into the driveway cause the house was a good 75 yards from the road. Started backing up and immediately felt the impact. So I jumped out of the car saw a woman getting out of her car so I say "Oh wow, How fast were you going when you hit me?". She said " Oh no honey you hit me"....I couldn't argue her point.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
One of the 6 I had in my first year was kinda funny. I was on a main thoroughfare in our city when I realized that I had just passed my delivery. I hit the brakes checked the mirrors (this was before the cameras) threw it in reverse to turn into the driveway cause the house was a good 75 yards from the road. Started backing up and immediately felt the impact. So I jumped out of the car saw a woman getting out of her car so I say "Oh wow, How fast were you going when you hit me?". She said " Oh no honey you hit me"....I couldn't argue her point.
I hate u. Sorry , but your a bad example of what a ups driver should be.

brostalss

I disagree with 5 It is a damn boring job.
You never know what you are going to see on route. I have my business "Hotties" which make my day. The stupid drivers I can predict what they are going to do. Driving by a house and all of a sudden it smells like skunk. (Contact buzz). People doing drugs or having sex in their cars. Watching people getting caught speeding is my favorite because they don't know how to Get The Big Picture.

You've Got Mail

If you're bored as a driver, you're not doing your job. I'm constantly making sure nobody's going to hit my truck, always looking at the next stops, finding packages and walking them off, sorting the truck...How do you have time to be bored? And how are you listening to radio? Your phone has that great of battery life? Mine would die within hours if I had it playing music the whole time. I can see being bored on lunch break, but that's about it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you're bored as a driver, you're not doing your job. I'm constantly making sure nobody's going to hit my truck, always looking at the next stops, finding packages and walking them off, sorting the truck...How do you have time to be bored? And how are you listening to radio? Your phone has that great of battery life? Mine would die within hours if I had it playing music the whole time. I can see being bored on lunch break, but that's about it.
Please tell other drivers how to do their job. These guys so need advice from a seasonal who's run a route for 2 whole days without a supervisor.

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/delivering-ground-on-friday.359315/page-7#post-1461750

You've Got Mail

Tell me how a driver has time to be bored? You finish your route, you help someone else finish or you go home. Where is the boredom? At no point in the day besides lunch are you sitting around doing nothing.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I have been driving for over 27 years and in that time I have never been bored. Angry, frustrated, stressed, amused, but never bored. If you do the job right you don't have time to be bored.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been driving for over 27 years and in that time I have never been bored. Angry, frustrated, stressed, amused, but never bored. If you do the job right you don't have time to be bored.

Other than waiting for a pickup to wrap up or sitting at a drop box I don't recall ever being bored while on road.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
hit-by-a-car-o.gif

Other than waiting for a pickup to wrap up or sitting at a drop box I don't recall ever being bored while on road.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Had the same route for so long my resis nearly bore me to sleep. I have an MP3 player (as I don't stream on my phone) that some days I NEED to listen to just to make it through those resis.